App State media thinks they could pull the upset

If they were back in FCS they'd be a poor man's North Dakota State. :)

Complete delusion. I'm sure Appy State is a solid team with some athletes who could play at other bigger, more esteemed football programs. And I'm sure they're a fast team. But for crying out loud, just stop with comments as though this is a fairly even battle and Tennessee better play its "A" game or Appy State will beat them.

The truth is, it's Appy State who better play their A++ game or they're gonna get completely embarrassed. Tennessee is gonna have to come out completely flat and give Appy State 5 to 6 bad turnovers for this game to be interesting in the second half IMO. Stranger things have happened I suppose, but they ain't happening here in about 6 hours.

Reactions: 3 people
It really does amaze me how much positive press one FCS now FBS team gets from one upset victory almost a decade ago. Not even NDSU gets this much talk and they are an FCS school that has beaten several Power 5 teams over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, Appy State is a solid program, but year in and year out you hear the same thing from all of the pundits. How many years until their win against Michigan becomes irrelevant to their current situation?

It really does amaze me how much positive press one FCS now FBS team gets from one upset victory almost a decade ago. Not even NDSU gets this much talk and they are an FCS school that has beaten several Power 5 teams over the past few years.

Don't get me wrong, Appy State is a solid program, but year in and year out you hear the same thing from all of the pundits. How many years until their win against Michigan becomes irrelevant to their current situation?

They've made a brand out of that one win.

Brilliant marketing.

Reactions: 1 person

It's the sports media's job to create buzz for games that have no real intrinsic buzz to them. "Can the former giant killer do it again?" Is the only storyline they can come up with for this game really.

The only people that this game will matter to is Vol and App St fans, and it's the media's job to try to change that some.

You never know, but its highly unlikely. Back when UT played Airforce, they were right with us until the end and came close to beating UT. That's probably a similar talent comparison.

Yes I was there, the Inky Johnson day. :(

If I recall Parys Haralson made the big stop to save the game.

Deberry could have kicked the extra point to tie. But being a true leader of a fine group of men and a very good program he went for the win.

Great game, with a very sad ending for Inky

Wyoming.........different time, different coach..........but it can happen.

Different time, different coach and a very different set of circumstances. Fulmer's firing had just been announced. You could feel what was about to happen when the team came out of the tunnel. No energy at all. I put that loss squarely on Hammy's shoulders.

Reactions: 1 person
Different time, different coach and a very different set of circumstances. Fulmer's firing had just been announced. You could feel what was about to happen when the team came out of the tunnel. No energy at all. I put that loss squarely on Hammy's shoulders.

I was at that game. It felt like I was sitting in a quiet park.

I don't think it's fair to ever bring that game up, because that was such an unusual set of circumstances that I doubt we'll see unfold again.

I was at that game. It felt like I was sitting in a quiet park.

I don't think it's fair to ever bring that game up, because that was such an unusual set of circumstances that I doubt we'll see unfold again.

Indeed. It was a strange atmosphere outside the stadium pregame and just eerie inside.

...and Adriana Lima could fall madly in love with me. Chances are not very good, but there is a chance.

App State field reporter Bubba Johnson LIVE from a hill somewhere near Boone:

*Shoveling coal from a bank near the highway, smoking a pipe, shirtless with his free arm around his super hot first cousin / fiancee DyNasty*

"Well, I reckon we gonna win this here game."

Bubba (much like the gentleman who wrote the article) founds all of his arguments on rock solid facts as you can see.

giphy.gif

You never know, but its highly unlikely. Back when UT played Airforce, they were right with us until the end and came close to beating UT. That's probably a similar talent comparison.

Air Force played a flawless game offensively that day. Their execution of the option was beautiful. Tennessee also made crucial mistakes in the 2nd half as well which lead to Air Force's comeback:

Ainge's interception, the muffed onside kick, multiple defensive breakdowns because Chief could never stop the option, etc.

Tennessee will have to make lots of mistakes and Appalachian State will have to perform flawlessly for them to upset UT. It's not impossible, though.

So did Utah State, so did Western Kentucky, so did Montana, etc, etc.

Next...

VN Store

Back