Boston Massacre vs The Incident on King Street

VolnJC

After seeing John Adams and reading Liars and Legends, I tend to believe the English version of this horrific historical event. I also didn't know that the soldiers were acquitted...Was war inevitable anyway or was this event the line in the sand?

I also learned that Paul Revere's engraving was total propaganda...kinda sad but not surprising, our history books are terrible.
9jiLgvBhRcFpkvKZPyFoWcGi.jpeg

The question of the inevitability of the American Revolution is an interesting one. Remembering my High School history teacher (it's been almost 30 years, bear with me) my teacher said that 1/3 of the colonists wanted to secede from England, 1/3 wanted to stay with England, and 1/3 didn't care. This suggests that it was not inevitable.

But one of the big issues was expansion past the Appalachian Mountains. England fought a very expensive war with the French a couple of decades earlier and I think one of the agreements to end the conflict was that colonists were not to expand West. Considering the American desire for exploration and settlement I do think that a revolution was going to happen sooner or later though just for that reason.

EDIT: Crap, I was wrong. The British gained the land between the Mississippi and the Appalachian Mountains during the French and Indian war. They alienated the Native Americans in those lands though, and felt they could not longer police it. They produced the Royal Proclamation of 1763 which forbid settlement West of the Appalachian Mountains because of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
The question of the inevitability of the American Revolution is an interesting one. Remembering my High School history teacher (it's been almost 30 years, bear with me) my teacher said that 1/3 of the colonists wanted to secede from England, 1/3 wanted to stay with England, and 1/3 didn't care. This suggests that it was not inevitable.

But one of the big issues was expansion past the Appalachian Mountains. England fought a very expensive war with the French a couple of decades earlier and I think one of the agreements to end the conflict was that colonists were not to expand West. Considering the American desire for exploration and settlement I do think that a revolution was going to happen sooner or later though just for that reason.

EDIT: Crap, I was wrong. The British gained the land between the Mississippi and the Appalachian Mountains during the French and Indian war. They alienated the Native Americans in those lands though, and felt they could not longer police it. They produced the Royal Proclamation of 1763 which forbid settlement West of the Appalachian Mountains because of this.

Yeah with the debt from the war, no doubt there would have been more taxes, it may not have been so bloody but the miles alone would have been a cause to break from England eventually.

The original settlers of Tennessee sure listened to that Royal Proclamation. And held themselves to a high standard at the Battle of Kings Mountain.

Reactions: 3 people
I thought the Boston Massacre was when Buckner let one go through his legs at first base.

That's the only thing that would get the Libs up there upset anymore, if it was a movie I'd call it "How I Learned To Stop Worrying About Freedom and Love the Taxes"

I'm glad I was able to find a copy when I was back in East Tennessee.

The Battle of Cowpens by Kenneth Roberts (Northwest Passage) is a good read, too, if you can find it. The British did OK against the New Englanders, but they seriously screwed up when they pissed off people in the Appalachians.

Reactions: 1 person
The Battle of Cowpens by Kenneth Roberts (Northwest Passage) is a good read, too, if you can find it. The British did OK against the New Englanders, but they seriously screwed up when they pissed off people in the Appalachians.

Both cowpens and kings mountain are near my house. Been neat to take the kids there, and they have studied the battles in school. Cool stuff. Brave men round these parts back then. May God rest their souls.

Reactions: 2 people
Both cowpens and kings mountain are near my house. Been neat to take the kids there, and they have studied the battles in school. Cool stuff. Brave men round these parts back then. May God rest their souls.

They have any markers or museums marking the battles?

VN Store

Back