Preston Williams test score flagged by NCAA

This is a horse s/!* rule. If they want to ensure the kids don't cheat, then put in tighter testing procedures for any person being considered for an athletic scholarship.

Get it right the first time. Don't wait till the kid is enrolled in college to flag the score.

Reactions: 1 person
Got ya. But instead of saying a 2.0 needs 86, they should say say a 2.0 needs 86/4 = 21.5. Because the score received isn't a total but rather an average.

Kristy the NCAA takes the best score of each section.

In other words if he made a 22 on English but an 18overall on one test but on the next he made a 20 on English but a 19overall he keeps the 22.

Super scoring is what it's called

He just needs to score within a point or 2 of his last test and nothing will come from this....but if he doesn't, then let the meltdown begin.

Look at it from a positive aspect. If he has to sit out some early games it could give his ACL more healing time for the long haul. He could be available later in the season when other WRs are banged up.

BTW, he passed the test, is in school so what would keep him from practicing, rehabbing under the training staff or even playing until he passes the test again? If he fails on the next try, would that mean that UT would have to vacate wins in games he played? Or, would UT have some kind of NCAA sanctions?

Vol's just keep adding to the excitement, don't they?
Enough of the bad news already, attrition is the news of the day for UT lately, what gives in Ktown?

What I don't understand is I took the ACT about 6-7 years ago. Even then, the security and precautionary measures were pretty extensive. I don't see how some kids get away with cheating or other people taking the test for them. It just doesn't make sense.

The ones taken at the school, in a classroom are legit that I saw. No way you can cheat that I could tell. Especially when most people there know you by name.

However, the second time I took mine, outside of the regular one given to us, it was completely different. Nobody we knew, no weird check in or anything. Wasn't limited to just that high school at all. We had kids from all over the county. For check in all we had to do was say our name and sign some papers. It'd be very easy to cheat. I heard lots of rumors that people would show up to do other peoples tests and easily get away with it.

If the issue is a crazy jump in score, then there might be reason to question it. Normally the biggest jump I saw would be like 4 or 5 points, and that's extreme. If Preston got a 22 or something and then jumped to a 30+ I'd be doubting too. But we have no idea about the score, and who knows what kind of student he is. I had an average gpa, did well on the ACT, and it made a lot of people doubt that I was telling the truth. Some are just better at tests and dont work hard in class.

I'm not sure I understand the whole issue though. ACT stuff should be out of the way by the end of your senior year. Was he still trying to work on it by the time he got to UT? If he had issues then how'd he even get into UT? You have almost 3 years to take it. I took my first soph. year. I know people that continued to try and improve 4,5,6 times. Either Preston was a little slow getting his stuff together or the NCAA is just full of crap. Money on the latter, but no reason imo to still be having ACT issues by the time you get in school.

There should be a deadline that the NCAA must meet to flag a player. All players who submit a score by 3/31 should be cleared no later than 6/15. Players who submit scores afterwards should be cleared in no more than 2 months.

The frequency that this happens is ridiculous.

Reactions: 11 people
There should be a deadline that the NCAA must meet to flag a player. All players who submit a score by 3/31 should be cleared no later than 6/15. Players who submit scores afterwards should be cleared in no more than 2 months.

Agreed

Check with Derrick Rose and Coach Cal about the statement above.

The amazing thing about that situation was that the clearinghouse cleared him twice, never proved he didn't take it, and STILL declared him ineligible after the season! The NCAA has been allowed to run a @#$# show forever. I'm glad to see their power starting to fade.

Disturbing is the only way to describe news out of Knoxville lately, please fix the problem Butch.
Go Vol's

What’s the funniest thing any coach said to you during the recruiting process?
“Coach Butch Jones told me that I was smarter than him because I scored higher on the ACT than he did. He told me that a couple of months ago. I just laughed. It was funny. I thought he was joking, but he wasn’t. The other coaches told me that he was serious.”
Recruiting Rewind: The one and only Preston Williams | College recruiting blog

Reactions: 2 people
test dates
Test Date Registration Deadline (Late Fee Required)
September 12, 2015 August 7, 2015 August 8–21, 2015
October 24, 2015 September 18, 2015 September 19–October 2, 2015
December 12, 2015 November 6, 2015 November 7–20, 2015
February 6, 2016* January 8, 2016 January 9–15, 2016
April 9, 2016 March 4, 2016 March 5–18, 2016
June 11, 2016** May 6, 2016 May 7–20, 2016
Its already been reported that he will get to retake the test in 2 weeks. This should have been in the OPs original post. Facts often keep people from freaking out over rumors

Every year these arsewipes do this, year after year. It is crap, and the question needing to be asked is why these people can't do their job and do it in the timetable that exists within college football.

These people need evaluations and meetings to discuss why, knowing the timetables that exist for the sport, can't do their job and have it done on time to avoid this.

Seems to me that if the NCAA can't do it's job as it pertains to the sport in which they are monitoring and have to have the schools and students adapt to their timing as a result of not being able to have their work done by the time it needs, maybe they need to consider either firing these people who can't do so, or hiring more people to see that it is done within the timing it should.

Having a kid show up on campus and begin his/her college career to only have it derailed because of some inept or lazy bureaucracy is a farce. And if it wasn't so common it would not be a big deal, but, that is not the case.

They flag scores when they change dramatically which is the case here. It's complete and utter BS that they waited this long to flag his score though. The Clearinghouse screws UT every time they have the opportunity.

The Clearinghouse must be owned by ESPN, since we know they hate you.

Reactions: 9 people
The ones taken at the school, in a classroom are legit that I saw. No way you can cheat that I could tell. Especially when most people there know you by name.

However, the second time I took mine, outside of the regular one given to us, it was completely different. Nobody we knew, no weird check in or anything. Wasn't limited to just that high school at all. We had kids from all over the county. For check in all we had to do was say our name and sign some papers. It'd be very easy to cheat. I heard lots of rumors that people would show up to do other peoples tests and easily get away with it.

If the issue is a crazy jump in score, then there might be reason to question it. Normally the biggest jump I saw would be like 4 or 5 points, and that's extreme. If Preston got a 22 or something and then jumped to a 30+ I'd be doubting too. But we have no idea about the score, and who knows what kind of student he is. I had an average gpa, did well on the ACT, and it made a lot of people doubt that I was telling the truth. Some are just better at tests and dont work hard in class.

I'm not sure I understand the whole issue though. ACT stuff should be out of the way by the end of your senior year. Was he still trying to work on it by the time he got to UT? If he had issues then how'd he even get into UT? You have almost 3 years to take it. I took my first soph. year. I know people that continued to try and improve 4,5,6 times. Either Preston was a little slow getting his stuff together or the NCAA is just full of crap. Money on the latter, but no reason imo to still be having ACT issues by the time you get in school.

I think most people are more upset with the fact that the NCAA has probably had his test scores for several months now and are just now flagging his score, not that they are actually flagging it. It doesn't seem right to let a student get within a few days of fall camp and tell him that there is something wrong with his test scores. This should be sorted out far in advance.

Also, I have never heard of people taking the ACT the way you described the second time, at least not as an official score. Every time I took it, it was in a high school in my county with multiple security guards and numerous teachers. They checked my ID and they asked for confirmation number among other security measures. It was quite extensive.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back