Vandy fires OC after one year on the job

Bajakian is really good guys, the sun was just in his eyes this season, and last year was year 0 so that doesn't count.

Yeah for some reason those around here think that you're supposed to step in as a true freshman and start. One guy is arguing with me and citing our group that just left. Sure it happens but it's not how you win games on a consistent basis. Few guys can step in from day 1 that young. Most OL get redshirted and work in a year later, these guys have been thrown to the wolves, and put in a very bad spot.
I tell ya what. My whole family is from and lives in Selmer. I'll probably be coming home for the holidays soon. If you would like we could get together for lunch and match football IQ's.

I never said anything about Jones bringing in freshmen to start. You stated that it rarely happens, I was simply pointing out to you that it does and it wasn't that long ago that it happened here.

As a matter of fact my whole argument with you is just the opposite. I say Jones sees the oline as a developmental position, in that he brings players in to develop over time (which he has stated over and over and is consistent with his last class). You say he's after the big name prospects, the studs as you called them, hell every program targets those guys. I just assumed that it would go without saying for anyone that has a clue. UT is no different in that aspect. Sure we offer, but Jones only spends time on the guys that he wants and has the ability to fit into his system of development. You can go back and look at the classes that he has signed and you will see that its consistent across the board. Right now with the problems that we have with depth on the oline he knows that some of these guys will have to come in and contribute quickly. And he can tell them that for now, but once that depth is met, he will go to his full developmental system. Its just the way he coach's. He wants guys that will stay for the long haul. And that's not just my opinion, he has consistently recruited and coached this way his entire coaching career.

He's not the only one, Gary Anderson at Wisconsin recruits the same way and has the same philosophy.

I should point out, in case it isn't obviouis, that in terms of yards per play on offense... we regressed.

We regressed.

And people are happy.

Well, people are so happy that we are 6-6 and going to a bowl. We just beat a team that beat us last year. Next year Butch will feel more heat to bring UT back to prominence. I'm enjoying the moment now. Why not try it. Plenty of time to bash later. :)

GO VOLS!

Yet people here are saying that, after 2 years of finishing 95/125 and then 78/125, it's unjust to be a little miffed at Bajakian?

What's the difference in the years? No real difference in yards per play between the 2. We just ran more plays this year and therefore got more yards.

We finished 115/125 in 2014 (4.8ypp) based on Offensive yards per play after being at 87/125 in 2013 (5.3).

Vandy's just fired OC was 119/125 and 4.7ypp.

It's not good enough for Vandy in the first year, but it's good enough for UT in the 2nd.

They swapped QB's every other play too, wanna try that? I suggest you take a long look in the mirror if your plans for success include doing things the way Vandy does. Congrats, this is the most flawed logic I've ever seen.

This offense is also tied for 9th in Redzone scoring... It's really easy to pick out two stats as justification for your point.

We met our goal this season, get to bowl. Next season, I expect us to get 8-9 wins, maybe more if we are lucky, and play in a better bowl. It requires patience to rebuild a program. We are getting there. Two great recruiting classes, a bowl game for seniors that have never been to one, and a national presence again.

Ppl are actually saying good things about Tennessee for once since my 6 year old has been on this Earth. My kids will be Vols fans not only bc I am but bc that is the cool thing to do again.

I had the OP blocked for a hot minute, in hindsight, life was better then.

The scheme sucks b/c of what bajak is being forced to call!
It is predictable b/c there are only a few things that actually work and we run it over and over again! If you think CBJ will not get rid of Bajak when it is time to get rid of him....you are silly. You really think a dude wants to get "NOT PAYED" or "fired" b/c of a problem with his OC.
He will fire a "buddy" to ensure a paycheck! JMO!

Hard to run and pass when your OL is bad.. And that is being kind

Yet people here are saying that, after 2 years of finishing 95/125 and then 78/125, it's unjust to be a little miffed at Bajakian?

What's the difference in the years? No real difference in yards per play between the 2. We just ran more plays this year and therefore got more yards.

We finished 115/125 in 2014 (4.8ypp) based on Offensive yards per play after being at 87/125 in 2013 (5.3).

It's not good enough for Vandy in the first year, but it's good enough for UT in the 2nd.

Who's offense produced in almost every close late-game scenario when it needed to?

OP, if you're trying to compare the 2 offenses, there is no point. the two aren't remotely similar. Look at competition for one.

Save the Florida game where an interception (a bone head interception that can't be blamed on the OC) UT drove the field and did what it had to do. Yes I realize we scored 9 points that game.

If there's a coach that deserves a job review then it's the OC; but I think we should wait until he has something to work with before we jump to conclusions.

Derek Mason needs to be fired after one season on the job

Often times when a coach is nearing the "Hot Seat" but is not officially on the hot seat, they will fire their assistants in an effort to buy more time for themselves. This is one such move.

Fulmer was in hot water in 2005, so he fired Sanders and Cutcliffe came back. In that instance, it worked and Fulmer kept his job, as long as Cutcliffe stayed, but once Cutcliffe left and Dave Clawson came aboard, all fell apart.

The difference between us not firing Jake and Vandy firing their OC, is that Derek Mason is already on the hot seat and is already having to resort to desperate measures. Continuity of staff is way better at this point in time than any amount of better playcalling would be.

Astute and correct, as usual, SR.

Reactions: 1 person
Yes OP. We should model our program after the esteemed Vanderbilt Commodore Football dynasty. If we make similar decisions and follow the template they've provided, we may one day enjoy the level of success that their vaunted program has sustained over the years.

Blow my brains out.

Wow. This is a completely myopic view of the offense. Did we not have an o line last year with NFL caliber players on it? Did we not just replace it with a mixture of true freshman, back ups, and guys with blown ACL's? Have we got a single qb on our roster who can throw the ball beyond the line of scrimmage with any confidence? Don't we have a true freshman running back who missed his senior high school season? Do I need to continue or should I break out the finger puppets and crayons and draw you a picture? Do you blame the pit crew if a driver runs the car into the wall because he is not capable of handling the car?

Derek Mason needs to be fired after one season on the job

i mean i dont really care about other team's coaches so long as they aren't good enough to beat tennessee.... but i think derek mason is gonna have vandy doing well if they keep him around long enough.

have no basis for this just my own inkling. but stanford football is struggling without him. his defense REALLY was great there. he runs a 3-4 though so thats tough to implement with 4-3 guys....see sal sunseri. but even after only one year vandy D didn't do too badly against our badly beaten up offense.

but firing OC is not going to be a great idea unless they already had a replacement in mind who'd knock it out of the park.

JMO.

I should point out, in case it isn't obviouis, that in terms of yards per play on offense... we regressed.

We regressed.

And people are happy.

just my two cents but we lost our ENTIRE offensive line......

also, not sure but i think we played harder competition this year. replace oregon with oklahoma, oregon has a phenomenal offense but not really known for their D. oklahoma on the other hand has some great DEs. and even looking at the "cupcakes" we played this year Utah State and Arky State are better than western kentucky and south alabama from last year. we'll call UTC and Austin Peay about even.....

i definitely saw improvement in the offense in certain areas, though we really don't have a ton of depth. our skills positions gained experience and more talent. what theyve done with josh dobbs is a miracle development-wise. and our playbook has expanded quite a bit from year one and is slightly more deceptive to defenses. cant wait to see what CBJ & staff do with year 3!

Evidently they did not fire the OC at Vanderbilt. Still up in the air. Vandy 24/7. TBD

I tell ya what. My whole family is from and lives in Selmer. I'll probably be coming home for the holidays soon. If you would like we could get together for lunch and match football IQ's.

I never said anything about Jones bringing in freshmen to start. You stated that it rarely happens, I was simply pointing out to you that it does and it wasn't that long ago that it happened here.

As a matter of fact my whole argument with you is just the opposite. I say Jones sees the oline as a developmental position, in that he brings players in to develop over time (which he has stated over and over and is consistent with his last class). You say he's after the big name prospects, the studs as you called them, hell every program targets those guys. I just assumed that it would go without saying for anyone that has a clue. UT is no different in that aspect. Sure we offer, but Jones only spends time on the guys that he wants and has the ability to fit into his system of development. You can go back and look at the classes that he has signed and you will see that its consistent across the board. Right now with the problems that we have with depth on the oline he knows that some of these guys will have to come in and contribute quickly. And he can tell them that for now, but once that depth is met, he will go to his full developmental system. Its just the way he coach's. He wants guys that will stay for the long haul. And that's not just my opinion, he has consistently recruited and coached this way his entire coaching career.

He's not the only one, Gary Anderson at Wisconsin recruits the same way and has the same philosophy.

I never said he didn't recruit developemental players. I agreed with you that it's a developmental position for the most part. But his recruiting strategy is to get projects for our future. They go after the same guys as everyone else and sprinkle in a project here or there. It's hard to look at his previous drops as they were lower teir teams and had to recruit lower rated guys, that's all they could get. I only look at what he's done here, the guys he's offered, targeted, and signed. Very few guys on our lists that are projects.

I know what he's said, I've sat in the coaches office at the high school I teach and coach at and listened to him talking about what he is looking for or and how guys fit his system.

We can agree to disagree I guess.

I'm from Selmer but no longer love in the area.

i mean i dont really care about other team's coaches so long as they aren't good enough to beat tennessee.... but i think derek mason is gonna have vandy doing well if they keep him around long enough.

have no basis for this just my own inkling. but stanford football is struggling without him. his defense REALLY was great there. he runs a 3-4 though so thats tough to implement with 4-3 guys....see sal sunseri. but even after only one year vandy D didn't do too badly against our badly beaten up offense.

but firing OC is not going to be a great idea unless they already had a replacement in mind who'd knock it out of the park.

JMO.

I don't agree and it's bc he showed a ton of ineptitude all year long. I kept up with them bc I live in Nashville, and he did things during games that just made you scratch your head. Don't let them fool you, they played by far their best game of the year against us and I think that was solely bc of the players.

Also he won't be around long enough even if he does get it together. He's already on the hot seat and the candy fans expect it to be like it was under CJF. That's just not going to happen.

VN Store

Back