Offsides Penalty on 1st Onside Kick (Pic)

A good ref would have said there were 2 fouls on the play and said offside is declined and illegal touching is accepted and the play is under review but when you have officials that aren't full time like all of college football you don't have the precision of the professional refs

They aren't full time in the NFL either.

They did not call offsides after the review. Flag for offsides was thrown on original play. But the illegeal touch was announced by the official because that was the penalty that would be accepted by Mizzou. Offsides without illegeal touching would have resulted in another kick. Flag was thrown for offsides BEFORE the replay.

LOL...finally someone that gets it. If the ball was not touched by Mizzou, they get the ball right where Tennessee had it on the ground because it didn't go 10 yards. After the review, they saw that it was indeed touched but there was already the first flag of offsides that results in a 5 yd penalty and re-kick.

If Mizzou accepts the penalty before the review, Tennessee has to re-kick. If they decline the penalty before the review, it was up in the air who would have had possession.

They did not call offsides after the review. Flag for offsides was thrown on original play. But the illegeal touch was announced by the official because that was the penalty that would be accepted by Mizzou. Offsides without illegeal touching would have resulted in another kick. Flag was thrown for offsides BEFORE the replay.

So by this, Missouri declines the offsides, making it null. And accepts the illegal touching. Booth reviews and reverses... so now Missouri gets to go back and accept an already declined penalty after the one they chose didn't pan out?

Reactions: 3 people
LOL...finally someone that gets it. If the ball was not touched by Mizzou, they get the ball right where Tennessee had it on the ground because it didn't go 10 yards. After the review, they saw that it was indeed touched but there was already the first flag of offsides that results in a 5 yd penalty and re-kick.

If Mizzou accepts the penalty before the review, Tennessee has to re-kick. If they decline the penalty before the review, it was up in the air who would have had possession.

Not how it works my man

So by this, Missouri declines the offsides, making it null. And accepts the illegal touching. Booth reviews and reverses... so now Missouri gets to go back and accept an already declined penalty after the one they chose didn't pan out?

Absolutely

Yes. Jesus. It has always been that way.

The review is for getting the call right.

Not putting the Opety dope on coaches with penalties.

Nope

Reactions: 1 person
So it was a make up call?

Lol no the holder is given leniency on having his knee down because holders used to stretch their leg out to keep their knee off the ground but because of so many plays of holders getting their leg broken by players diving to try to block the kick it was change. Same reason if a player goes to block a punt and the kicker comes down on the player it's a foul. All about player safety

A good ref would have said there were 2 fouls on the play and said offside is declined and illegal touching is accepted and the play is under review but when you have officials that aren't full time like all of college football you don't have the precision of the professional refs
Correct. In my best officials voice: "We have offsides on the kicking team. That penalty is declined. The kicking team illegally touched the ball prior to traveling 10 yards. The receiving team has first and 10 at that point."

Not too hard for any referee to say, because they all would in that situation - except for this one.

Reactions: 5 people
Actually he is right. Ref failed to communicate.

Refs forget to say things into the mic all the time.

He spent a good 30 seconds talking with Mizzou's sideline. I'm sure they were aware of the situation.

Like everyone has said a million times. The flag was for offsides. They declined that on the stipulation that there was illegal touching. The illegal touching was reversed.

Therefore, they take the penalty. That is how it works.

If you want to complain, complain about the fact that there wasn't actually anyone offsides.

Reactions: 4 people

Muzzou never declined the offsides because offsides was never called. Offsides is not reviewable. Since it wasn't called, it's not reviewable.

Repeat, it was not called, it is not reviewable.

Correct. In my best officials voice: "We have offsides on the kicking team. That penalty is declined. The kicking team illegally touched the ball prior to traveling 10 yards. The receiving team has first and 10 at that point."

Not too hard for any referee to say, because they all would in that situation - except for this one.

He also failed to communicate timeouts remaining or tn made challenge.

Wait, which one of these explanations will allow me to both hate and blame the refs for this loss? And before you say it, yes-the whole loss.

Muzzou never declined the offsides because offsides was never called. Offsides is not reviewable. Since it wasn't called, it's not reviewable.

So the ref threw that flag because he has sentience?

Good night people. Everyone was told about the offsides except the fans. That is ALL that happened.

Or you can egg on the crowd after review and crush the fans hearts again bc you never said anything about the offsides initially

Wait, which one of these explanations will allow me to both hate and blame the refs for this loss? And before you say it, yes-the whole loss.

You know what, this makes me sick. It's a close game. Everyone has played hard and the refs make a bad call on a HUGE play. One big play can be the difference in a win or loss. It was not insignificant that we did not get the ball back when we should have.

He spent a good 30 seconds talking with Mizzou's sideline. I'm sure they were aware of the situation.

Like everyone has said a million times. The flag was for offsides. They declined that on the stipulation that there was illegal touching. The illegal touching was reversed.

If you want to complain, complain about the fact that there wasn't actually anyone offsides.
Good luck trying to get these morons to understand this. I've never seen a more clueless bunch in my life.

Reactions: 5 people

Ed hockily or buff ref in the nfl explains every call that's why fan like him

Good luck trying to get these morons to understand this. I've never seen a more clueless bunch in my life.

Well tell that to Herbstreit and the old ref in the booth because they sure as sheet didn't know what was going on. They both agreed TN was getting the ball and that offsides was not reviewable because it wasn't called.

That's the gist of what I meant. How can a penalty not be called, then called after a review. If they over turned the illegal touch that happened after the flag.... that's essiently time travel to go back and call it. Should've just said false start, re-kick. However they reviewed the play and made a ruling only to say the ruling doesn't matter because of a false start.

I know this post is buried deep in the thread but i just rewatched the play. They called a penalty of illegal touching. The "expert referee" pipes up and says the offisdes cannot be reviewed. There was NO offsides penalty called. I did not see one player offsides on the kick. It couldnt have been medley because they didnt call it on the second kick. . . .i honestly dont know

VN Store

Back