Jesus: It Seems Had A "Wife" After All.

The Council of Nicaea which Roman Emperor Constantine was well know to be as political as any event in history. What book gets into the cannon which does not. Some of those books that did not make it in are in doubt and cover some of this to a degree. Legitimising this legitimises those books to a degree. Not to mention the other that remain locked in Vatican vaults never having seen the light of day. A small thing but a good thing considering the subject matter.

How in the world do you consider the Vatican keeping possibly contradictory texts hidden a good thing?

Reactions: 1 person
The Council of Nicaea which Roman Emperor Constantine was well know to be as political as any event in history. What book gets into the cannon which does not. Some of those books that did not make it in are in doubt and cover some of this to a degree.

I may be misunderstanding what you are saying here, but if you're suggesting that the New Testament Canon was determined at Nicaea, you are incorrect. While the nature of Christ's divinity and issues of canonical law were dealt with, there is absolutely no evidence that suggests the actual canon was even discussed, let alone codified at Nicaea. There is evidence that the church in Alexandria was only using the 27 books of the New Testament by the early 3rd Century. But there was not a verifiable consensus amongst all of the early chuches, East and West, until the early 5th century, almost 100 years after Nicaea.

The key point to make, however, is that the canonical gospels and Acts were the accepted histories of the life of Jesus by the mid- to late-2nd century. The earliest of the gnostic or "lost" gospels were only being written around that time, and were only ever accepted by certain sects, and not the greater Eastern or Western churches.

Legitimising this legitimises those books to a degree. Not to mention the other that remain locked in Vatican vaults never having seen the light of day. A small thing but a good thing considering the subject matter.

Stating that a document isn't a forgery when it could have been written as late as the 9th century doesn't really lend legitimacy to other non-canonical texts. It just means it's not a modern-day hoax. And the linked article still leaves plenty of question regarding the document's legitimacy.

Last edited:
Negative. It is documented by only a small handful of sources; and, we don't even know who the authors of those sources were. After that, his existence is written about, but it is always rooted in those first spurious sources.

Socrates says hey. That is... assuming of course... he ever really existed.

Reactions: 3 people
Would the proof (whatever form) that Jesus was married affect anyone's faith in his divinity?

I think he's just a guy from the movie Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure... same as this fictional Napolean character everyone talks about.

I don't posit that Socrates ever actually existed. He may have, he may not have.

The author of Plato's writings existed, whether or not said person was named Plato, I care not.

Misleading thread title; all that was proven was it wasn't a forgery. It didn't prove what the text claimed was true.

I don't posit that Socrates ever actually existed. He may have, he may not have.

The author of Plato's writings existed, whether or not said person was named Plato, I care not.

Then perhaps you can have that debate with this guy who seems to disagree...

For those on here that have children that are learning to write papers, sit them down and teach them how to properly do so. For example:

Socrates was a philosopher. Socrates lived in Greece in the fifth century BCE and was renown throughout the Peloponnese as a great philosopher. In fact, Socrates even trained the philosopher Plato, who in turn trained the philosopher Aristotle. It would be absurd to think a non-philosopher can train such amazing philosophers.
Socrates is wise. As was stated above, all philosophers are wise and Socrates was a philosopher. Thus, Socrates must have been wise.
In conclusion, this paper has demonstrated that Socrates was wise and has refuted the objections from the critics.

That is how children need to be taught how to write. If your child is not being taught in such a manner, you need to either work with them on your own or find someone to work with them.

Reactions: 8 people
Then perhaps you can have that debate with this guy who seems to disagree...

Where did I posit that Socrates actually existed? I'm pretty sure that was merely proffered as an example of how to write an argument.

Socrates may or may not have existed. We have very few accounts.

By the way, if you search hard enough, you can find passages in which I say Jesus existed, if you fail to understand the context of the passage.

Reactions: 2 people
Ahhhh.. I don't buy into religion, i mean, do I believe one man created everything. . Nope.. if you tell someone some of the stories that are in the bible, and you replaced jesus, with the name Oltare or something, people would have you committed to the nut ward.. now, do I believe in satan??. Lol.. hell no, just don't believe in that stuff.. now I know people are gonna crucify me for what I just said...

Not surprising that you are as dumb as Mr Teamwork.

Interesting you specifically would point out in your "example" that Socrates trained the guy who trained Aristotle. Unless of course now you don't believe (or in TRUT terms "never said") Aristotle was real.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back