Looking for help with PS4 networking

BigOrangeTrain

Morior Invictus
Does anyone know anything about the PS4 networking? Specifically the downloading speeds. I have a 100mb connection at my house. We have 1 laptop, 2 desktops, 1 ipad and 2 iphones.

I have been noticing some speed issues with gaming and downloading and streaming so I checked everything with the "test internet connection" function on the PS4. It said I was only getting 923 kbps.

Does anyone know why it would be so slow? Thanks.

I had horrible issues when I had my PS4 on the wifi connection- almost identical problem as you. I think the poor wireless connections are just a thing with the PS4.

When I switched to wired, I started getting speeds where they should be. If you don't have your PS4 near your modem to do a wired connection, a powerline adapter will work. I had my PS4 on one of those for a while and it was perfect.

See here: Powerline Network Adapters | Amazon.com

Lots of factors here. Type of router, distance of ps4 from router (especially if it is on a different floor), router settings. Wired will almost always be faster, but wireless should not be that bad. Fyi, in my experience trying to help my dad, some of the Xfinity router "all in one" devices are terrible. I own my own modem + router to make sure i know what i am getting.

I’ve had similar problems over the years but lately it’s been better. I don’t really have an answer other than when I notice the connection has slowed I run the connection test and it seems to fix it.

Need to go into your router settings on your browser and turn some sort of security setting off. It effects your NAT type and causes your speed to be slower than its suppose to be.

What kind of router do you have? Also, when you check your connection status on the ps4, what is your NAT type?

Need to go into your router settings on your browser and turn some sort of security setting off. It effects your NAT type and causes your speed to be slower than its suppose to be.

What kind of router do you have? Also, when you check your connection status on the ps4, what is your NAT type?

This is the router I have. BELKIN N Wireless Router F5D8236-4 - Newegg.com

As far as security settings, I do have MAC address filtering enabled. I also have it set up so that anyone who gets on my network has to enter the password I created. Are any of these causing slow speeds?

My NAT is type 2.

I think this is happening at the in-laws house. My FIL fancies himself a tech wizard but it's more like he knows enough to be dangerous and on top of that he's rather paranoid about being "hacked". He pays for very fast speeds but his network speeds are very inconsistent and they will drop at random and I notice things like my laptop and phone seem to have their connection drop and then reconnected several times.

Of course I'm not allowed to look at any of the settings but I'm pretty sure he doesn't have it set up correctly and/or has the security way too strict on it for what it is needed for. He just blames his ISP but I don't think that's it.

I've always been a big fan of the ASUS Routers (such as the legendary Dark Knight) but I've also heard the Nighthawk is good.

It's crazy how expensive some of these new "gaming" routers are.

I've always been a big fan of the ASUS Routers (such as the legendary Dark Knight) but I've also heard the Nighthawk is good.

It's crazy how expensive some of these new "gaming" routers are.

Agreed. I was looking at routers yesterday and saw the new nighthawk "gaming" routers were costing $300+. That's insane.

I guess I should just wait until routers with the new wpa3 security roll out.

I had to hard wire both of my sons PS4s to the modem in our house. (The WIFI connection was pretty weak in both the old and new models of the PS4.) It really helped our network connection issues. It may be a cheaper fix for you if you can run the new data lines by yourself.

*We only have 5 meg DSL and the only time the game lags/drops if both systems are on and someone trys to watch YouTube/ Netflix videos.

I just run a flat 25 ft Ethernet cable along the wall. To hell with a $300 router. I do have a five or six year old Apple router I got on eBay for $75 that works just fine though in the room that’s furthest away.

Reactions: 1 person
This is the router I have. BELKIN N Wireless Router F5D8236-4 - Newegg.com

As far as security settings, I do have MAC address filtering enabled. I also have it set up so that anyone who gets on my network has to enter the password I created. Are any of these causing slow speeds?

My NAT is type 2.

The router is not the greatest (reviews from your link even shows it is not well loved) but it should be better than you are experiencing.
As far as security settings, use WPA2 with AES encryption. Both WPA (version 1) and TKIP encryption have shown to slow down your connection as well as less secure.
NAT Type 2 is fine.

VN Store

Back