Google working on gaming console?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
Over the past few months, the wildest rumors in video game industry circles haven’t involved the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Two. The most interesting chatter has centered on a tech company that’s been quietly making moves to tackle video games in a big way: Google, the conglomerate that operates our email, our internet browsers, and much more.

We haven’t heard many specifics about Google’s video game plans, but what we have heard is that it’s a three-pronged approach: 1) Some sort of streaming platform, 2) some sort of hardware, and 3) an attempt to bring game developers under the Google umbrella, whether through aggressive recruiting or even major acquisitions. That’s the word from five people who have either been briefed on Google’s plans or heard about them secondhand.

Kotaku

I have noticed a lot more live streaming on YouTube, which Google owns. Makes sense that they would try and move into the console sector. Ambitious to try and compete with Amazon (Twitch), Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. I keep getting reminded of the Steam Machines when reading this.

If gaming ever goes 100% streaming, I'll take sticks and draw in the mud. I'm fine with an all digital future in terms of downloading, but streaming is where I draw the line!

Reactions: 1 person
If gaming ever goes 100% streaming, I'll take sticks and draw in the mud. I'm fine with an all digital future in terms of downloading, but streaming is where I draw the line!

This, for a large portion of the community streaming games will degrade overall quality. I’ve noticed during peak hours I struggled streaming Ply Station Now games without skips and other issues.

I don't see one single advantage to the consumer with streaming over owning physical (or digital) copies outright.

One plus might be the ability to have a streaming package versus buying individual games. Similar to what xbox and ps do now.

Not saying that will ever happen. I think we all know the consumer will lose when this does indeed happen, especially folks that trade in/sell/etc their physical games.

I don't see one single advantage to the consumer with streaming over owning physical (or digital) copies outright.

And unless you’re in a major city or a wealthier area, you just will never have the speeds to stream worth a s**t. I’ve got the best available speeds from my local monopoly, for $60, and PS Now runs like ass. My buddies in South Korea, with upwards of 800dl/200ul even have hiccups with streaming from time to time during peak hours. So I think we are a long way off from that being the norm, unless they want to alienate are majority of consumers.

Reactions: 1 person
Agreed that streaming is still a ways off from being the only option.

Another advantage though is hardware limitation. Not dependent on your actual ps4 anymore. Devs can throw more servers and hardware at games to get more out. They can keep updating on the backend while our streamer units just play off the servers.

And unless you’re in a major city or a wealthier area, you just will never have the speeds to stream worth a s**t. I’ve got the best available speeds from my local monopoly, for $60, and PS Now runs like ass. My buddies in South Korea, with upwards of 800dl/200ul even have hiccups with streaming from time to time during peak hours. So I think we are a long way off from that being the norm, unless they want to alienate are majority of consumers.

Not to mention data caps. If you are limited per month you're screwed. Fortunately I don't have that issue but I know a lot of people who do.

One plus might be the ability to have a streaming package versus buying individual games. Similar to what xbox and ps do now.

Not saying that will ever happen. I think we all know the consumer will lose when this does indeed happen, especially folks that trade in/sell/etc their physical games.

This

Not to mention data caps. If you are limited per month you're screwed. Fortunately I don't have that issue but I know a lot of people who do.

They aren't saying this happens tomorrow, even though I would love that, but things will be different with internet down the road IMO.

There is a large online community in South America that would be crippled if we were totally streaming. The infrastructure is no where near ready. Doubt the big 3 will let that potential revenue slip away by alienating them

I think that caps will eventually go away, yes.

And how will they subsidize the loss in revenue from users who exceed their data limits per month? Companies are not just simply going to give that revenue up. Shareholders would throw a fit. They can raise their rates I suppose but they'd risk losing subscribers.

Last edited:
What do you base that on though? I mean, sure I'd love to see it happen but I cant see the IP's just simply giving that extra revenue up without them making it back some other way.

It won’t happen unless their hands are forced. Like Ferris Bueller’s principal, I don’t trust in the benevolence of Comcast, et al. any further than I can throw them.

Last edited:
Ohh great, another project for Google to halfass for a couple years then randomly abandon once it actually gets a decent userbase.

And how will they subsidize the loss in revenue from users who exceed their data limits per month? Companies are not just simply going to give that revenue up. Shareholders would throw a fit. They can raise their rates I suppose but they'd risk losing subscribers.

Do you remember when data was a lot more capped than it is now? I do and I'd be willing to bet caps will eventually go away. Just think that is where they will eventually get to.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back