Anthem (February 22 Release)

eVOLve

đźź Put on more steam!
Cinematic Trailer

Gameplay

What's everyone's excitement level? I think I was more hype before today's E3 presentation. Looks kind of clunky with controls and movement.

Last edited:
No PVP, online only, pretty generic gameplay, will definitely be holding off on it.

Agreed. The game looked boring and generic. I'm extremely disappointed after last years unveil. This is one game that I was most anticipating.

Last edited:
Opposite here. I'm more hyped now, especially after hearing from some of the folks who have played it. Beautiful environment, great movement system, and an intriguing single player story with co-op elements. The fact that they said it's not an MMO surprised me in a good way. They clearly want this to be more like a story driven co-op game. I'm thinking more along the lines of Far Cry 5. But they also said they want the world to build over years to come. I'm excited to see more.

Reactions: LouderVol
Opposite here. I'm more hyped now, especially after hearing from some of the folks who have played it. Beautiful environment, great movement system, and an intriguing single player story with co-op elements. The fact that they said it's not an MMO surprised me in a good way. They clearly want this to be more like a story driven co-op game. I'm thinking more along the lines of Far Cry 5. But they also said they want the world to build over years to come. I'm excited to see more.

I hope you're right. Maybe it was just the way they presented it but last year's unveil was way more exciting. Also, I have ZERO faith that this game will be ready by February. I think they just said that to make investors think it's still coming fiscal 2018 and not hurt their stock. I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets pushed back.

I would take anyone's positive impressions on YouTube with a grain of salt. Most of them were paid by EA to come to e3, play the game, and give positive feedback on their channels.

i am pretty much with you. don't need another pvp yawn fest. give me something with a good single player/coop. I don't have much hype for this but I like the direction they have at least implied they are aiming at. not sure if they will get anywhere close, but I like the sound of it.

I hope you're right. Maybe it was just the way they presented it but last year's unveil was way more exciting. Also, I have ZERO faith that this game will be ready by February. I think they just said that to make investors think it's still coming fiscal 2018 and not hurt their stock. I wouldn't be surprised if this game gets pushed back.

Don't be so sure. Giving a window vs giving an exact launch date is a big difference. We'll see, though.

VIP (if you preordered) beta starts next Friday and goes throughout the weekend. Open Beta is the weekend after and will give people the opportunity to try it out. I think this game will be successful as long as they keep pay to win monetization out and also keep the loot and end game stuff interesting for players. Hoping that this game will take the place of destiny for me (even though the gameplay is very different) as my looter go to.

Someone also put together a chart with the different slots and abilities of the 4 (will add more down the road) Javelins

Javelin abilities.jpg

I will pick it up. not sure if for the PC or the Bone. I think I still have a mic for my bone, but I could never get it to work.

I will pick it up. not sure if for the PC or the Bone. I think I still have a mic for my bone, but I could never get it to work.
The beta will decide for me if I want to spend the money to play it for a couple of weeks solid then maybe once a week.

I played the closed demo in December. The actual game was better than I anticipated. But, what we played was very short and did not have the loot system up and running. Hard to tell how the game would ultimately be from that little taste.

I wish it was more shared open world and you didn't live inside your own world.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

I played the closed demo in December. The actual game was better than I anticipated. But, what we played was very short and did not have the loot system up and running. Hard to tell how the game would ultimately be from that little taste.

I hope they consider having some sort of multiplayer in the future after they have a great base established.

Little jealous you took part in the closed beta:)

people are getting tired of the open world/large crowd games. I think its mostly because most don't have good game play or story, and need the multiplayer aspect to hide the other defects.

Reactions: zhangliao04
people are getting tired of the open world/large crowd games. I think its mostly because most don't have good game play or story, and need the multiplayer aspect to hide the other defects.
I don’t know if “people” are getting tired op open world games. What makes you say that?

I don’t know if “people” are getting tired op open world games. What makes you say that?
not necessarily the open world stuff, more anything MMO esque, which now tends to be pretty open world now. Thousands miles wide and one mile deep gets real old real fast.

the quiet majority of gamers, imo, are looking for something with more to it, which a lot games don't deliver anymore. for God's sake they messed up Mass Effect. Mass Effect! now it looks like Fallout is also going down the same drain trying to bring in multiplayer as the focus. Halo has already lost its edge a couple games ago. Most of my gamer friends don't do pretty much any PVP. We want a game that 10 years from now we still want to play. COD/fortnight/whatever the next game is has no lasting value once the next thing comes out. none. Its bad when racing games are starting to challenge shooters and rpgs on the story front. (thats a quote from a friend, I don't do racing games so I don't know what he is talking about)

I think its why you see RDR2 getting such acclaim. It starts with the single player experience, and they are working in PVP. but it stands on its own as a single player. if you want an impact game thats the way you have to go imo. or at worst rely on the coop aspect like Anthem*pending*. read in an article about Fallout 76 "Nothing ruins a game like another a**hole running around in yours"

not necessarily the open world stuff, more anything MMO esque, which now tends to be pretty open world now. Thousands miles wide and one mile deep gets real old real fast.

the quiet majority of gamers, imo, are looking for something with more to it, which a lot games don't deliver anymore. for God's sake they messed up Mass Effect. Mass Effect! now it looks like Fallout is also going down the same drain trying to bring in multiplayer as the focus. Halo has already lost its edge a couple games ago. Most of my gamer friends don't do pretty much any PVP. We want a game that 10 years from now we still want to play. COD/fortnight/whatever the next game is has no lasting value once the next thing comes out. none. Its bad when racing games are starting to challenge shooters and rpgs on the story front. (thats a quote from a friend, I don't do racing games so I don't know what he is talking about)

I think its why you see RDR2 getting such acclaim. It starts with the single player experience, and they are working in PVP. but it stands on its own as a single player. if you want an impact game thats the way you have to go imo. or at worst rely on the coop aspect like Anthem*pending*. read in an article about Fallout 76 "Nothing ruins a game like another a**hole running around in yours"
You have some fair points, but the reasons mass effect and fallout were awful had nothing to do with online and everything to do with poor management and absolutely no quality assurance as far as limiting the bugs that both of those games were riddled with. Online PVP and PVE games are very popular and they aren’t going away. Story single player games have a place too, we can have both :)

You have some fair points, but the reasons mass effect and fallout were awful had nothing to do with online and everything to do with poor management and absolutely no quality assurance as far as limiting the bugs that both of those games were riddled with. Online PVP and PVE games are very popular and they aren’t going away. Story single player games have a place too, we can have both :)
that's what happens when you try to do everything and step outside yourself. it also limits, or sets the direction of your development.

not arguing that PVP is fading. I am just saying you won't ever get the faithful following you get for other game styles.

not arguing that PVP is fading. I am just saying you won't ever get the faithful following you get for other game styles.
you don’t think call of duty or other pvp games don’t have a faithful following? Cod isn’t huge like it is because of the single player experience.

The live stream they showed off yesterday afternoon was pretty informative and they showed off some really cool stuff. It was followed by this:

you don’t think call of duty or other pvp games don’t have a faithful following? Cod isn’t huge like it is because of the single player experience.
the newest COD is huge. how many people playing old COD? how many people go back and play those old games? its the social media culture with the multiplayer games.

different world for a PC strategy game, but Company of Heroes 1 (2006 or 2007)has had more users online than Company of Heroes 2(2013). multiplayer wasn't the issue there. but they went beyond what made 1 great and lost for it. Dawn of War 3 is another example that sold its soul and lost out. during Steam sales you can get the new DoW3 game cheaper than you can get DoW1.

VN Store

Back