Monster Hunter World (PS4 and Xbox Jan. 26, PC Fall 2018)

G0 BIG 0RANGE

These are very complicated games, but also very rewarding. If you’re a fan of loot-based RPGs like Diablo, but also want a punishingly difficult and intentionally vague game like Souls, check this out tomorrow.

Currently sitting at a 91 on Metacritic with 45 positive reviews ranging from 7.5 to 10.

“Monster Hunter: World is the best game in the series, and a welcoming gateway for newcomers to get in on the tail-chopping, rodeo-riding, and titan-slaying. I never want to play the series on handheld again after this, as the grainy graphics and clawed clutch can’t compare to the redefined experience core platforms facilitate.“ - Game Informer 9.5

“This is the most audacious Monster Hunter game yet. Monster Hunter: World manages the balance between staying true to the series’ ideals and the addictive loop of combat with intimidating monsters and meaningful upgrades that fans love, while also taking a dramatic leap into a look, feel, and size that feels truly new. Its sheer depth and the commitment required is still intense, but it clearly isn’t Capcom's aim to court a casual crowd. It’s as all-consuming and incredible a ride as ever.“ - IGN 9.5

“Monster Hunter: World has found a way to lower its barrier of entry for newcomers while still delivering an immersive experience that long-time fans of the series crave. The combat has a bit of a learning curve, and multiplayer could use a few tweaks, but no matter your experience level with the series, this will be time well spent for all hunters ready to pick up a sword, bowgun, or gunlance.” - EGM 9.0

Reactions: 1 person
I am highly interested in this game. I have never played a Monster Hunter game before, but this looks like a good fun game.

I am highly interested in this game. I have never played a Monster Hunter game before, but this looks like a good fun game.

I’ve played them for nearly a decade on the handhelds and I’ve loved every single one of them. While they’re definitely time sinks, this one appears to have cleaned up some of the more ridiculously time consuming elements.

Picked it up tonight. Never played a MH game before but this looked fantastic. If anyone is playing on PS4 I would be down for some coop.

I’ve played them for nearly a decade on the handhelds and I’ve loved every single one of them. While they’re definitely time sinks, this one appears to have cleaned up some of the more ridiculously time consuming elements.

What system are you getting it for?

I played the demo and couldnt get into it. Fighting a big dinosaur just seemed odd to me.

I played the demo and couldnt get into it. Fighting a big dinosaur just seemed odd to me.

Same here. And that's all you do..over and over. And controls seems really clunky and unresponsive.

People love it though and reviews are great. It just didn't do anything for me.

Same here. And that's all you do..over and over. And controls seems really clunky and unresponsive.

People love it though and reviews are great. It just didn't do anything for me.

Yeah, you just hunt monsters over and over and get better gear to take on bigger stronger monsters. It’s not unlike Destiny or any other loot-based grinds in that way.

Yeah, you just hunt monsters over and over and get better gear to take on bigger stronger monsters. It’s not unlike Destiny or any other loot-based grinds in that way.

I keep hearing that but it just seems so limiting. Destiny you can play PVP, strikes, story missions, raids, etc. Here you just seem to find the big monster, kill it, and repeat. I'm really trying to get it, but I think it's just not for me. I'd love to grind away in another looter but it just seems so basic and one dimensional.

It seems to be like Destiny if all you did was fight the end bosses. And I don't mean their stages with adds, just the actual boss and that's it, over and over. I don't think that version of Destiny would have appealed to me either.

Last edited:
I keep hearing that but it just seems so limiting. Destiny you can play PVP, strikes, story missions, raids, etc. Here you just seem to find the big monster, kill it, and repeat. I'm really trying to get it, but I think it's just not for me. I'd love to grind away in another looter but it just seems so basic and one dimensional.

It seems to be like Destiny if all you did was fight the end bosses. And I don't mean their stages with adds, just the actual boss and that's it, over and over. I don't think that version of Destiny would have appealed to me either.

This one has a story and I guess I never cared for Destiny raids since they are just longer strikes with puzzles. I wish it had PVP, as I usually love that aspect of these kind of games, but the loot grind is satisfying enough. You do fight monsters over and over, but the grind and loot in order to beat some of them is what’s so rewarding. When you finally conquer the one that’s whipped your ass over and over again, it’s great. Then you gear up for a bigger monster. There are also your typical “go kill this monster” or “find this item” sort of quests too. And you can hop in and help people who are struggling, similar to Souls, which I think will be fun. They’re also adding free content and there are no loot boxes. It’s a game series I was hugely skeptical of at first too, and I just didn’t get it, but it clicked and I eventually loved it.

Edit: you also don’t necessarily just fight the boss. You’re basically in a nature reserve with herbivores and carnivores and they’ll fight over territories and smaller game will be around, similar to adds. It is never the same experience like a raid or strike often is. The monsters will react to your attacks and get aggressively territorial or take flight back to their nests. It’s hard to explain, and it used to be incredibly complicated in previous entries.

Last edited:
Glad you wrote that out. I'm still not sure it's for me but I might redbox it one night with buddies and try it again. We gave up on the beta about 10 minutes in.

Glad you wrote that out. I'm still not sure it's for me but I might redbox it one night with buddies and try it again. We gave up on the beta about 10 minutes in.

Yeah, you might can give it a go once it’s a little cheaper because they’re an acquired taste and they take hours to fully click.

I tried it and I absolutely hated it. Just being honest. Very, very clunky. Love the souls games... could not stand this. Hey, let’s follow the little sparkles to the monster and fight. Next. Hey let’s follow the little sparkles. Lol. Over and over.

I tried it and I absolutely hated it. Just being honest. Very, very clunky. Love the souls games... could not stand this. Hey, let’s follow the little sparkles to the monster and fight. Next. Hey let’s follow the little sparkles. Lol. Over and over.

Which weapon did you use? Of the 14 available, there are clunky ones and finesse ones. And you can turn the quest marker off, if you want. The game is like Souls in that you must learn an intimate amount of information about your enemy if you want to beat them, you can’t just hack and slash, but it’s got a bit of Witcher in it as well, where it is imperative that you prepare for the hunt with traps, potions, etc., use the environment and your Palico to your advantage or other monsters as bait. On the surface it may seem like follow the quest line to objective B like Fable, but it’s arguably the most deep and complicated action RPG available. I understand it’s not everyone’s cup, however.

Maybe turning them off would help. I hated following them straight to it lol. Also, is it just the demo, or is there always a time limit? The time limit 100% killed it for me.

Maybe turning them off would help. I hated following them straight to it lol. Also, is it just the demo, or is there always a time limit? The time limit 100% killed it for me.

Hunts have always been timed, I think, usually something like 50 minutes. I can see that being a deal breaker if you want a more leisurely outing, but they’ve always had timers as far as I can remember, but have never had quest markers before now. I remember this co-op Castlevania game that came out on Xbox and PS3 seven or eight years ago called Harmony of Despair where you had 30 minutes to collect what you could in a castle and defeat the boss. I hated it, like I hated MH’s timers, but I eventually got to the point where time was never an issue. I think they put it there to light a fire under you ass immediately. Before this one, I'd say that MH was more inaccessible than Dark Souls.

Last edited:
Picked this up since I had a bit of best buy credit. Absolutely love the game. Something different and fun. Saw where they shipped 5M copies out to customers. Different from beta IMO since I really didn't care for the beta.

Picked this up since I had a bit of best buy credit. Absolutely love the game. Something different and fun. Saw where they shipped 5M copies out to customers. Different from beta IMO since I really didn't care for the beta.

Hell yeah. I’ve had a few very skeptical friends text me saying pretty much the same thing lol

Attachments

• 1D392F6B-9597-452A-A2A9-F9D14E017243.jpg
    1D392F6B-9597-452A-A2A9-F9D14E017243.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 7EA9D761-50DC-4130-B98C-40820CAFC7DF.jpg
    7EA9D761-50DC-4130-B98C-40820CAFC7DF.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0
After this thread I tried with an open mind and put 4 or 5 hours into the retail copy.

Hate it. I'm done. This game is not for me at all.

I game share with a buddy that bought it. So, I just had to click download.

Oh well. Plenty of other games.

VN Store

Back