Sea of Thieves (Xbox One, PC)

Brave Volunteer

Did any of you Xbox One/PC gamers get into the beta? I watched quite a bit of streaming of it last night. The water physics look stunning I have to admit. Probably the best Ive ever seen. My only concern is how quickly will this game get boring and repetitive? Especially considering your weapon selection is pretty much limited to swords, canons, single shot pistols, and long range rifles. Also there doesn't seem to be much enemy variety other than sharks and skeletons and of course, other players but maybe that's just the beta.

I think a lot of people will be pissed off if they pay $60 for this game.

Doesn't appear to be much to it unless you like collecting cosmetics.

Beta doesn't seem to be going very well either. After a couple hours, seems many are bored and find something else.

No Man's Pirate

I think a lot of people will be pissed off if they pay $60 for this game.

Doesn't appear to be much to it unless you like collecting cosmetics.

Beta doesn't seem to be going very well either. After a couple hours, seems many are bored and find something else.

No Man's Pirate

Exactly. Snooze of Thieves.

A lot of Xbox gamers claim it's a blast but I honestly don't trust their judgment. I have a very good friend who's a big time Xbox homer and always oversells and overvalues Xbox exclusives because there are so few of them and he wants so badly for them to be as good as Sony and Nintendo exclusives, but they almost never are. I fear this is what's happening in the case of Sea of Thieves as well.

Last edited:
The water physics are what surprised me most, but it’s fun with friends, as it is an open world cooperative game. Running a ship, down to the little details, with your friends can get pretty hectic, similar to Overcooked, if you’ve ever heard of it. Fighting other ships, reloading canons, fixing holes, looting sinking ships, sniping, sword fights, etc. If I can get 60 hours out of it to justify a $60 purchase, I’ll bite. If it didn’t have PVP aspects, I would definitely get bored, because I can’t buy a linear single player game that I’ll beat in 15 hours for $60, regardless of how epic the set pieces and story are. But I also prefer high replay co-op games like Souls, PUBG, and Elite Dangerous to The Last of Us, which I played through once, and absolutely loved, but wouldn’t pay $60 for. I’ll wait and see how much more content is added, but it’s been fun with friends. Oh, if you shoot yourself out of a canon to try to board another team’s boat, be careful with sharks if you miss the landing. I have an irrational fear of even video game sharks and panicked when I saw myself surrounded 😅

The water physics are what surprised me most, but it’s fun with friends, as it is an open world cooperative game. Running a ship, down to the little details, with your friends can get pretty hectic, similar to Overcooked, if you’ve ever heard of it. Fighting other ships, reloading canons, fixing holes, looting sinking ships, sniping, sword fights, etc. If I can get 60 hours out of it to justify a $60 purchase, I’ll bite. If it didn’t have PVP aspects, I would definitely get bored, because I can’t buy a linear single player game that I’ll beat in 15 hours for $60, regardless of how epic the set pieces and story are. But I also prefer high replay co-op games like Souls, PUBG, and Elite Dangerous to The Last of Us, which I played through once, and absolutely loved, but wouldn’t pay $60 for. I’ll wait and see how much more content is added, but it’s been fun with friends. Oh, if you shoot yourself out of a canon to try to board another team’s boat, be careful with sharks if you miss the landing. I have an irrational fear of even video game sharks and panicked when I saw myself surrounded 😅

Did you not play the multiplayer on The Last of Us? I played it for probably a year or more and enjoyed it.

Did you not play the multiplayer on The Last of Us? I played it for probably a year or more and enjoyed it.

I didn’t play it much, but I also didn’t get in it until it’d been out for a while. The single player story was top 10 all time, but I try not pay more than a dollar per hour of playtime, so I didn’t get around to it until it was cheap. That’s sort of my value scale, I guess. I can usually wait years for a primarily single player experience, but if it is co-op, I don’t mind paying full price to get in the experience while the player base is still around.

I didn’t play it much, but I also didn’t get in it until it’d been out for a while. The single player story was top 10 all time, but I try not pay more than a dollar per hour of playtime, so I didn’t get around to it until it was cheap. That’s sort of my value scale, I guess. I can usually wait years for a primarily single player experience, but if it is co-op, I don’t mind paying full price to get in the experience while the player base is still around.

Hmm, that's an interesting value scale. I may have to use that!

Do you use that same value scale for movies? I've just always found it interesting that a lot of people have no problem paying 15-20.00 for a 2 hour movie on blu ray or DVD but won't pay 60.00 for an 8-10 hour game. When you think about it, you're getting much more bang for your entertainment buck with games, even at the full 60.00 sticker price for single player games

Last edited:
Hmm, that's an interesting value scale. I may have to use that!

Do you use that same value scale for movies? I've just always found it interesting that a lot of people have no problem paying 15-20.00 for a 2 hour movie on blu ray or DVD but won't pay 60.00 for an 8-10 hour game. When you think about it, you're getting much more bang for your entertainment buck with games, even at the full 60.00 sticker price for single player games

I rarely ever buy a blu-ray unless it has a deep sale, like the $5.00 Walmart bin, which is often the cheapest you’ll ever find them, or if it’s something I know I’ll watch a dozen times. I’d never pay $20 for a new movie I’ll only watch once. I only go see movies in the theatre if it’s Star Wars, Harry Potter, Marvel, etc., but now I use MoviePass to cut costs there, along with Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.

Video games can definitely give more value for the price, and that’s why I’d be okay with an increase in game prices if it meant less dlc or micro transactions.

Final beta is out this weekend and ends Sunday. Open to everyone on PC and XB1. Definitely worth a download to see if you might want to purchase the full release later this month

Rumor has it it's more fun if you an' yer crew speaks like pirates whilst ye play! ARRR

It's definitely limited in content but playing with a full galleon crew or even a duo on a sloop can be a lot of fun. They definitely need to add more content to the game though.

The most fun aspect has to be chasing down another ship to steal their chests or running from someone when you have a bunch of accrued chests from missions.

Last edited:
Anyone logging a lot of hours in this? I play with a full crew and I think the game is a blast. They’ll need to continue adding content to keep me interested long-term, however.

Out of 5 of my buddies I play with inly 1 of us likes this game and hes obsessed with it. I cant understand it . Hes even befriended children to play with him.

I have been playing since the betas and I really enjoy the game. The developer has said all along that the game will launch as a base game. They will turn it into whatever it becomes by looking at how people are playing and they will take suggestions from the community. It shined when you have a crew to sail with. I enjoy playing alone too but I can see how it could be boring for some.

I have completely changed my opinion on it. It essentially has one mission type: retrieve and deliver. After the first few hours you see how much potential the game has, but you also see that there's essentially no content.

If anyone is still playing this I would be down to link up. I have one buddy who I play with but our schedules don’t match up well. I’ve enjoyed running a 2 man ship but it isn’t very fun soloing it.

VN Store

Back