God of War (PS4) Releases April 20th!

Brave Volunteer

I cannot wait. Been a fan of this series since the beginning!

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCB36uNrZ9I[/youtube]

Can't wait, it will be out in a good time for me to have already finished the Shadow of the Colossus remake.

May just be me but after seeing the new combat system I’m less excited about this. Sucks bc I’ve beaten and loved every game except Ascension which was a disgrace

May just be me but after seeing the new combat system I’m less excited about this. Sucks bc I’ve beaten and loved every game except Ascension which was a disgrace

Think I'm more excited. I love the direction they are going with it and the combat looks fresh but at the same time keeping the savageness that I love about GOW.

Gameplay has been often compared to Dark Souls. If you like those games you should like this.

Personally I'm glad Sony has changed it up. The mindless button-mashing mechanic was getting stale. They needed to move this franchise forward and it looks like they've done that both in mechanics and in narrative. I'm very excited to play this.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e-yAATMjBI[/youtube]

Gameplay has been often compared to Dark Souls. If you like those games you should like this.

Personally I'm glad Sony has changed it up. The mindless button-mashing mechanic was getting stale. They needed to move this franchise forward and it looks like they've done that both in mechanics and in narrative. I'm very excited to play this.

I agree about changing it up. The franchise was getting stale and after 6 games of the same thing, it was time to change things up.

I dunno, still looks a bit button-mashy. Dark Souls isn’t great because it has a game-changing combat system (its combat system is pretty basic, actually). Dark Souls is great because it’s brutally difficult.

This looks like the other GoW’s, like not succeeding is more difficult than succeeding.

Someone prove me wrong because by mid-April I will need something new to play...

I dunno, still looks a bit button-mashy. Dark Souls isn’t great because it has a game-changing combat system (its combat system is pretty basic, actually). Dark Souls is great because it’s brutally difficult.

This looks like the other GoW’s, like not succeeding is more difficult than succeeding.

Someone prove me wrong because by mid-April I will need something new to play...

I'm not sure what you're looking for then, as all 3rd person action games are button mashy to an extent. This isn't an RPG.

Review embargo has been lifted and the scores are insane!

IGN - 10/10
Forbes - 10/10
Polygon - 10/10
Dualshockers - 10/10
Game Informer - 9.75/10
Metro - 9/10
Hardcore Gamer - 4.5/5
The Guardian - 5/5
Eurogamer - Recommended
Destructoid -10/10
Gaming Bolt -10/10
Push Square -10/10
Easy Allies - 10/10
Gaming Trend - 100/100

Last edited:
“There’s a lot to see, but God of War’s designers have been creative in how they minimize backtracking. Generally, you can see where you’re going or from where you came, as paths through castles and cliffsides have you doubling back, creating shortcuts or secret passages back to the main route. (You eventually gain access to a tool that makes travel simpler and faster, all without breaking the game’s single long camera take. It’s neat.)

It sounds Dark Souls-ish because it is Dark Souls-ish. That comparison extends to the combat, which — especially in the extremely difficult postgame content — does a good (if imperfect) impression of everybody’s favorite masocore series. Borrowed inspiration isn’t limited to the Souls franchise. Fights involve an unusual but effective hodgepodge of genres: Ax melee attacks handle like an old-fashioned beat-’em-up; ax throws work like a sniper rifle, the weapon returning to Kratos with the tap of a button; Atreus (whom you can command to fire arrows) behaves almost like an RPG party member, flanking large enemies and stunning packs into position for attacks.

In fact, God of War takes a good deal from role-playing games. Gear can be purchased or found, then upgraded or modified, to increase Kratos’ status, which is displayed on the pause screen like a tabletop character sheet. The ax, the shield and the bow have upgrade trees. Kratos’ fanciest attacks are culled runics, and you assign one light and one heavy runic attack at a time. Runic attacks replace complex combos, and are performed with a simple tap of the shoulder buttons. No pressure to master reflexes and motor skills. Instead, precious brain juice can be spent on strategy: Does a zone call for attacks that stun large groups of enemies, setting up a sequence of brutal takedowns, or does a big boss warrant narrow but powerful damage-dealing blows? Tough battles are made easy when treated like puzzles to be solved with the right combat approach.“

Polygon’s 10/10 review makes it look like it does have some similarities to Souls and has some RPG elements after all, allowing you to build Kratos’ combat style to your liking, upgrading trees, weapons, abilities, etc. with XP.

Last edited:
Ho. Ly. Cow. That is probably Top 3 best ratings ever for a game in history. Makes me wish I had a PS4.

Green man gaming offers a 10% discount off the digital version. Not sure if I'm going digital or disc with this one since it's a single okayers game. The reviews have been incredible though.

Spoiler of inventory, not story at all

Evidently you are not limited to the Leviathan Axe for Kratos as I just saw a video with him using the twin blades. Wonder if there are any other weapons. The axe looks dope though.

I had no expectations for this game really but sounds like it may be a masterpiece.

Loving it so far. Only about an hour and a half into it. Looks amazing. Controls well. The axe is a cool touch. I feel like Thor when I call the axe back!

Got a couple of hours in with it last night and its one of those games that lives up to all the hype it has gotten. It does a good job of keeping a lot of the things that I loved about the series while changing so many things.

Got a couple of hours in with it last night and its one of those games that lives up to all the hype it has gotten. It does a good job of keeping a lot of the things that I loved about the series while changing so many things.

Agreed! I don't say this about a lot of games but God of War is a masterpiece and HOLY **** is it gorgeous!

I don't mean to sound all "fanboy" here but if you claim to be a serious gamer and you don't have a PS4...WTF man?? LOL!

Last edited:

VN Store

Back