PC Upgrading

zhangliao04

Okay guys. I need a little help here with some possible upgrading of my gaming PC. I am thinking about upgrading my CPU and along with that my MB. Currently I have a i5-3570k that can handle a large portion of the jobs thrown at it and my MB is a ASRock Extreme 4 Z77. It's an older model, but when it was built the parts were their new version.

I don't HAVE to upgrade, but I am looking to do that now as usually you want to upgrade every 4-5 years. I already upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1070 FTW. Next is the CPU and MB. I am currently looking at the i7-7700k and the i7-8700k. I was wondering if anybody has any thoughts on which I should go with? I know the 7700k has been a great processor, but the 8700k has 2 more cores and their MB's come with USB 3.1 which is twice as fast as 3.0. Any thoughts fellers?

to me it always comes down to cost. If you can afford it get the nicer/better one. I don't have any experience with either so I can't really comment.

about the one thing I will say is the 8700k may be over kill if what you are running currently still works.

to me it always comes down to cost. If you can afford it get the nicer/better one. I don't have any experience with either so I can't really comment.

about the one thing I will say is the 8700k may be over kill if what you are running currently still works.

Yeah I am sure it is overkill right now. However, I would like for my next set-up to last me another good 5 years at least. And with the way games are going now it can be hard to predict.

Yeah I am sure it is overkill right now. However, I would like for my next set-up to last me another good 5 years at least. And with the way games are going now it can be hard to predict.

honestly the increase isn't that much more than it was. for a while now its been something like every 2 years the requirement doubles.

like I said up to you. if you are into graphic heavy games go for it. If graphics aren't the end all be for you save a few bucks.

Real gamers use i9s.

jk.

Good thing you have a video card already. Prices on those are just silly now days.

honestly the increase isn't that much more than it was. for a while now its been something like every 2 years the requirement doubles.

like I said up to you. if you are into graphic heavy games go for it. If graphics aren't the end all be for you save a few bucks.

Yeah, I do enjoy some good graphics. Trying to get myself ready for 4k gaming as well as VR. But that also requires buying the headset (for VR) and what-not and those things are still a little expensive. I'm going to try and wait to see if they go on sale any time soon.

Real gamers use i9s.

jk.

Good thing you have a video card already. Prices on those are just silly now days.

An i9 processor alone would cost as much as or more than my whole rig, hah. Yeah I am glad I bought it when I did. 3 months after I did they skyrcoketed due to the bitcoin stuff. Very much enjoying it.

i7 is kinda overkill for gaming although if you do video editing and streaming, it might be worth it.

Also lucky you getting a 1070 before the miners.... Lol. If you go straight to the manufacturer like EVGA, you can get a card for MSRP.. Just good luck finding it In stock.

I'm working on a build fight now as well. I'm going i5 8600k and keeping my 1070.Asus mobo (forget the exact one but it's like 150 bucks and has some RGB.... Cause we all know that's what's important in 2018)

i7 is kinda overkill for gaming although if you do video editing and streaming, it might be worth it.

Also lucky you getting a 1070 before the miners.... Lol. If you go straight to the manufacturer like EVGA, you can get a card for MSRP.. Just good luck finding it In stock.

I'm working on a build fight now as well. I'm going i5 8600k and keeping my 1070.Asus mobo (forget the exact one but it's like 150 bucks and has some RGB.... Cause we all know that's what's important in 2018)

Yeah I bought my 1070 last year about a few months before the mining really started. Got that FTW edition, too and I am loving it. For a mobo I am looking at the ASRock Extreme4 either 270 or 370 depending on which I decide to go with. I also learned I would have to buy new RAM as mine are old DDR3 and the new mobo's must have DDR4.

What made you decide to go with the i5-8600k? If you don't mind me asking.

Bad news is ram prices are at a high right now. Theyre about 10-20% higher than when I bought in November.

Yeah, why an i5 8600 over a i7 7700k? Not too much difference in price.

Ram prices are ridiculous but that G.skill trident z rgb ram is so good looking.

8700k and 8600k are over a hundred bucks apart. I just can't rationalize that cost increase when looking at value. 8600k is one of the best values "price for performance" out there. The ryzen r5 1600x is pretty good too but I decided that unless I'm going to wait for ryzen 2, the 8600k outdoes ryzen in most games I play (with the notable exception of strategy games like civ that are more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.)

And 7700k and 8600k,coffee lake is just so much more solid than kaby lake.

Ram prices are ridiculous but that G.skill trident z rgb ram is so good looking.

8700k and 8600k are over a hundred bucks apart. I just can't rationalize that cost increase when looking at value. 8600k is one of the best values "price for performance" out there. The ryzen r5 1600x is pretty good too but I decided that unless I'm going to wait for ryzen 2, the 8600k outdoes ryzen in most games I play (with the notable exception of strategy games like civ that are more CPU intensive than GPU intensive.)

And 7700k and 8600k,coffee lake is just so much more solid than kaby lake.

I hadn't seen any tests on the new coffee chips. Seems the i5 8600k is a good choice.

I will say AMD setups are typically better at mining crypto in case you want to do that while you're not using the computer. Pay off that system over the next year instead of it sitting idle.

Last edited:
Yeah I have been looking at the G. Skill Trident Z RAM. I will probably stick with just 2x4GB RAM sticks as a jump from 8 to 16 GB RAM doesn't play a huge part in gaming performance.

Yeah I have been looking at the G. Skill Trident Z RAM. I will probably stick with just 2x4GB RAM sticks as a jump from 8 to 16 GB RAM doesn't play a huge part in gaming performance.

Depends on what you're playing. PUBG for instance benefits a lot from that extra 8gb

Depends on what you're playing. PUBG for instance benefits a lot from that extra 8gb

I don't have PUBG. I'm sure games like Civilization could use it, too. But I can always add more later. The games I have right now run fine with my 8GB of older DDR3 RAM.

Reactions: 1 person
Thought I'd throw in a couple of pics of my new rig.

Attachments

• 20180204_233621.jpg
    20180204_233621.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20180205_013447.jpg
    20180205_013447.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20180202_013357.jpg
    20180202_013357.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 5
Ram has always been a fluctuating market with regard to computer building going back to the 90's even. The graphics card issue is completely new and hopefully not a problem that endures. I think they're mining for Ethereum now rather than Bitcoin though.

Ram has always been a fluctuating market with regard to computer building going back to the 90's even. The graphics card issue is completely new and hopefully not a problem that endures. I think they're mining for Ethereum now rather than Bitcoin though.

The RAM issue is tied to the GPU issue since the RAM ultimately comes from the same companies for both system memory and GPU memory.

Read an article stating that CPU's are a possible new target for Bitcoin/ethereal miners since GPU's are so dang expensive now.

Read an article stating that CPU's are a possible new target for Bitcoin/ethereal miners since GPU's are so dang expensive now.

Consider the investment opportunities. Few got rich mining gold, many made fortunes selling the picks and shovels.

VN Store

Back