Elite Dangerous

G0 BIG 0RANGE

A few friends and I picked this up on sale this week on Xbox. Has anyone played it? It seems like a fun co-op space flight sim.

Never heard of it. What's it like?

[youtube]http://youtu.be/OGLhkqk3UBc[/YouTube]

I don't know how to embed YouTube links, sorry.

It looks like a first person flight sim set in the Milky Way.

"Elite Dangerous is a space adventure, trading, and combat simulator where players start with a spaceship and a small amount of money and have to make their own way in an open galaxy, furthering themselves either legally or illegally, through trading, mining, bounty-hunting, piracy and assassination."

"The player is able to explore the game's galaxy of some 400 billion star systems, complete with planets and moons that rotate and orbit in real-time, resulting in dynamic day/night cycles. Around 150,000 of the game's star systems are taken from real-world astronomical data, while the remainder are procedurally generated according to scientific models."

Never heard of it. What's it like?

It is a really in depth game. Hard to put into a paragraph because there is a lot to it and the developers are constantly adding to it. It can be intimidating at first because there is a lot to it. But, IMO, it is the best space simulator type of game out there. You are a commander (pilot) of your own spaceship and you go around exploring the universe. There are factions you can work for by doing jobs (and yes you get paid), you can mine stuff to sel, and you can buy different types of spaceships each with its own specialty (explore, mine, fight, etc.). And yes you spend money to pay for better upgrades for your ship. They also like to put out some pretty cool stuff for the gamers to figure out. A buddy and I play it usually a few times a week in the evenings. Was skeptical at first. Now I enjoy it. We are about to go find an alien ruin site and try to solve it. Gives you something around $100mil lol. Gonna need it for one of the best ships in the game.

Just FYI, if I were you I would also look into getting the Horizon's update. Allows you to land on planets and scurry about inside a vehicle (no you never actually get out and roam around like in No Man's Sky). But, they just recently added the ability for friends to join your ship and act as a crew. So, instead of one person per ship, your friend can just join your "crew" and take over the controls of the weapons while you pilot. Of course the friend can leave and go back to their ship whenever they want.

It is a really in depth game. Hard to put into a paragraph because there is a lot to it and the developers are constantly adding to it. It can be intimidating at first because there is a lot to it. But, IMO, it is the best space simulator type of game out there. You are a commander (pilot) of your own spaceship and you go around exploring the universe. There are factions you can work for by doing jobs (and yes you get paid), you can mine stuff to sel, and you can buy different types of spaceships each with its own specialty (explore, mine, fight, etc.). And yes you spend money to pay for better upgrades for your ship. They also like to put out some pretty cool stuff for the gamers to figure out. A buddy and I play it usually a few times a week in the evenings. Was skeptical at first. Now I enjoy it. We are about to go find an alien ruin site and try to solve it. Gives you something around $100mil lol. Gonna need it for one of the best ships in the game.

Just FYI, if I were you I would also look into getting the Horizon's update. Allows you to land on planets and scurry about inside a vehicle (no you never actually get out and roam around like in No Man's Sky). But, they just recently added the ability for friends to join your ship and act as a crew. So, instead of one person per ship, your friend can just join your "crew" and take over the controls of the weapons while you pilot. Of course the friend can leave and go back to their ship whenever they want.

I got the complete edition that came with Horizons. The game is very very in depth, you're right. You have to pay attention to all of your instruments, request docking, pay fines for blocking bay doors, conserve fuel for space jumps, be wary of pirates, etc.

It had me cussing just trying to figure out how to match the rotation of space stations to enter their docks, and then landing the ship took me 15 minutes. It will take a lot of tutorials and practice, but I can see myself losing days in the game already.

For me, Elite is a pickup and play every now and then kind of game. I'm not much of a "grief" or "be griefed" kind of guy, so I don't go online all the time with this game. I have mostly played PVE for combat, and also do a great deal of exploring. While a bit bare bones on the exploration front, I still get the most enjoyment from traversing the galaxy in search of interesting sights or occasionally unique things.

I've gone online a few times, but I haven't tried out the latest patch's "multi-crew" feature yet. I'm hoping to get around to it in the next week or so.

It's the kind of sandbox that can be really engaging at times, and really empty at others. The following for the game is pretty hardcore, though, so there's always an answer to a question, and usually a helpful hand around the corner while you're learning the ropes. I suggest trying a bit of everything, from combat, to trade, to mining, to the political Powerplay mechanic, to exploration. Changing up how you play is where I've found a lot of fun hidden away in this game.

I got the complete edition that came with Horizons. The game is very very in depth, you're right. You have to pay attention to all of your instruments, request docking, pay fines for blocking bay doors, conserve fuel for space jumps, be wary of pirates, etc.

It had me cussing just trying to figure out how to match the rotation of space stations to enter their docks, and then landing the ship took me 15 minutes. It will take a lot of tutorials and practice, but I can see myself losing days in the game already.

Bruh, I almost threw my controller when trying to figure out how to land my spaceship for the first time. The game has no sympathy for the newbie. I still have trouble finding the blasted entrance to the space hubs/stations. Good freaking ness.

Did you get fined for taking too long to dock with the space station? I almost did lol. Been fined for ramming (accidentally) other ships while entering/exiting to trying to find your landing dock.

Also, that stupid little circle with the white dot...the one at the top left of your compass...yeah it took me forever to figure out what that did. Now it is my friend lol.

Bruh, I almost threw my controller when trying to figure out how to land my spaceship for the first time. The game has no sympathy for the newbie. I still have trouble finding the blasted entrance to the space hubs/stations. Good freaking ness.

Did you get fined for taking too long to dock with the space station? I almost did lol. Been fined for ramming (accidentally) other ships while entering/exiting to trying to find your landing dock.

Also, that stupid little circle with the white dot...the one at the top left of your compass...yeah it took me forever to figure out what that did. Now it is my friend lol.

Personally, I think you haven't played Elite until you've boosted yourself into the internal bowels of the space station trying to lower your landing gear, losing all your shields and with 4% hull left hobble your way over to your pad and finally set yourself onto the pad in nothing short of a miracle.

Personally, I think you haven't played Elite until you've boosted yourself into the internal bowels of the space station trying to lower your landing gear, losing all your shields and with 4% hull left hobble your way over to your pad and finally set yourself onto the pad in nothing short of a miracle.

Not speaking from experience at all? Lol. I keep getting told "put your guns away" at space stations. Every button has like 90 things it can do and sometimes I still forget.

As for space stations I am very certain the dev's were like, "you know what will piss off the players?...spherical stations that rotate and all sides look the same so they will have to fly around it 50 times to find the one side that has the entrance."

I got fined for blocking the entrance too long, but I couldn't help that I was a pinball bouncing off the walls lol...

Yes, the white dot on the compass is a life saver trying to find which way is "up" and "down" in space. Once I made it into the space station I didn't realize it had rotated my landing spot to what was now the ceiling...so I had to pitch, yaw, and roll myself upside down >_<

Last edited:
I got fined for blocking the entrance too long, but I couldn't help that I was a pinball bouncing off the walls lol...

Yes, the white dot on the compass is a life saver trying to find which way is "up" and "down" in space. Once I made it into the space station I didn't realize it had rotated my landing spot to what was now the ceiling...so I had to pitch, yaw, and roll myself upside down >_<

Word of advice. Boomtime deliveries are a quick way to get cash. Try to find multiple ones that go to the same system. Also, mining takes a long time to do.

Word of advice. Boomtime deliveries are a quick way to get cash. Try to find multiple ones that go to the same system. Also, mining takes a long time to do.

Boom time?

This game is badass, by the way. I've fitted my ship to hit 22 light years and have been transporting passengers today.

I have been in the abyss of space for about 5-6 months with my ASP Explorer. I'm just now headed back, but I have a hard time jumping systems quickly when I still come across unexplored systems. It makes a 10,000 ly journey back to the populated bubble take way longer than it should. I want to do some passenger missions and brush up again on my combat with a Vulture I have somewhere, lol.

I have been in the abyss of space for about 5-6 months with my ASP Explorer. I'm just now headed back, but I have a hard time jumping systems quickly when I still come across unexplored systems. It makes a 10,000 ly journey back to the populated bubble take way longer than it should. I want to do some passenger missions and brush up again on my combat with a Vulture I have somewhere, lol.

I have a Cobra, but have been looking at moving up to something that can jump a bit farther and carry more passengers. Is the ASP a good upgrade?

I have a Cobra, but have been looking at moving up to something that can jump a bit farther and carry more passengers. Is the ASP a good upgrade?

Well, it depends....the ASP, I've learned is a very capable ship for flying missions of many kinds and is versatile. To get the most out of it in a passenger role, though, you're probably looking at it costing about 20+ million.

That would buy you a good fuel scoop, a top end frameshift drive, and a couple of cabins. I think you'd probably be able to carry about 15-20 passengers in a pretty well upgraded ASP based on the modules you'd need.

I know the Dolphin is one of the newer 2.3 patch ships that is an economical passenger ship. I've never flown it though so I don't know how to really fit it out.

Well, it depends....the ASP, I've learned is a very capable ship for flying missions of many kinds and is versatile. To get the most out of it in a passenger role, though, you're probably looking at it costing about 20+ million.

That would buy you a good fuel scoop, a top end frameshift drive, and a couple of cabins. I think you'd probably be able to carry about 15-20 passengers in a pretty well upgraded ASP based on the modules you'd need.

I know the Dolphin is one of the newer 2.3 patch ships that is an economical passenger ship. I've never flown it though so I don't know how to really fit it out.

I'll have to check the Dolphin out. Thanks.

Boom time?

This game is badass, by the way. I've fitted my ship to hit 22 light years and have been transporting passengers today.

Haven't done any passenger missions yet. Been focusing on killing wanted criminals to get my money that way. Gunning for a Diamond Back Explorer ship and outfit it completely with A ranked everything. Probs around 15-mil to do that. Gonna go hit up some alien ruins.

Boom time deliveries are missions found at space stations. Literally say "Boom time" at the beginning of the name of the mission. Usually you can find 2-5 that head to the same system and get around 250k-1mil for all of them combined. Not bad if you don't want to risk combat. I just became friendly with the Empire. Gonna look at passenger missions now and see if those are a quicker way to gain the moola than fighting criminals in a hazardous zone.

Haven't done any passenger missions yet. Been focusing on killing wanted criminals to get my money that way. Gunning for a Diamond Back Explorer ship and outfit it completely with A ranked everything. Probs around 15-mil to do that. Gonna go hit up some alien ruins.

Boom time deliveries are missions found at space stations. Literally say "Boom time" at the beginning of the name of the mission. Usually you can find 2-5 that head to the same system and get around 250k-1mil for all of them combined. Not bad if you don't want to risk combat. I just became friendly with the Empire. Gonna look at passenger missions now and see if those are a quicker way to gain the moola than fighting criminals in a hazardous zone.

Ah yeah I see it now. There is just so much information to take it lol

Yeah, I've been transporting some random rich people for upwards of 3 mil, some criminals for around the same (but be mindful of the police), and various smaller ones from 100k to 900k. Once I get good rep with the factions I get access to some big ass ones. One surveryer wants to visit a black hole for 24 mil

Ah yeah I see it now. There is just so much information to take it lol

Yeah, I've been transporting some random rich people for upwards of 3 mil, some criminals for around the same (but be mindful of the police), and various smaller ones from 100k to 900k. Once I get good rep with the factions I get access to some big ass ones. One surveryer wants to visit a black hole for 24 mil

Just don't get too close to the black hole. :good!:

It's like a 24,000 light year journey... I won't be doing it anytime soon haha

Oh, yes it takes a while. You'll want to clear your missions and your general life calendar. You may want to plug in some headphones so that "Frame Shift Drive charging" doesn't start to cause space psychosis after a while.

Oh, yes it takes a while. You'll want to clear your missions and your general life calendar. You may want to plug in some headphones so that "Frame Shift Drive charging" doesn't start to cause space psychosis after a while.

No joke. I've just been muting it on those missions and watching Cheers.

Anyone play this on PC? I'm on the fence...

VN Store

Back