(Rumor) Project Scorpio to be revealed this week

Brave Volunteer

According to "Shinobi", a very reliable NeoGaf insider who's almost always right, MS' new console will get a "soft" unveil sometime this week. Reported to be "very powerful, very compact," and supposed to be using some revolutionary new cooling system.

Should be interesting. Not sure anyone's going to care if they don't start getting decent exclusive games. And there are none on the horizon that I'm aware of unless you count Crackdown.

Should be interesting. Not sure anyone's going to care if they don't start getting decent exclusive games. And there are none on the horizon that I'm aware of unless you count Crackdown.

Crackdown 3
Sea of Thieves
State of Decay 2
Phantom Dust HD re master
Forza 7 (not officially announced but you know it's coming).

These are the only ones I'm aware of right now.

I think Scorpio and PS Pro will be closer than folks expected. I also think MS will screw it up again and price it too high or fail to give any real reasons to buy it. Xbox one is a dying horse.

I think Scorpio and PS Pro will be closer than folks expected. I also think MS will screw it up again and price it too high or fail to give any real reasons to buy it. Xbox one is a dying horse.

Oh it'll be more powerful for sure. However I'm not sure just how much that will matter. Sony's exclusive lineup is so huge and so diverse I feel like it's just more appealing to more gamers. Plus they've put their lead so far out of reach, Scorpio would have to create quite the seismic shift in the gaming landscape to turn the tide and I don't see that happening. I actually think we're going to eventually see the Nintendo Switch over take Xbox One's second place position.

Last edited:
Oh it'll be more powerful for sure. However I'm not sure just how much that will matter. Sony's exclusive lineup is so huge and so diverse I feel like it's just more appealing to more gamers. Plus they've put their lead so far out of reach, Scorpio would have to create quite the seismic shift in the gaming landscape to turn the tide and I don't see that happening. I actually think we're going to eventually see the Nintendo Switch over take Xbox One's second place position.

Not sure about that last statement.

I'll wait for the ps5 we all know they'll make a more powerful console plus all the amazing PlayStation exclusives

Not sure about that last statement.

We'll see but Nintendo overall has more global appeal. Xbox has only really ever been popular in the US and UK. The Wii U was a terrible mistake but the Switch is off to a hot start. I could easily see it doing 3DS type numbers.

Bought an Xbox one for all the video streaming apps..My CIA approved Samsung Smart TV has exceeded the xbox in that function..probably won't buy another. I play Forza like once every few months..can't see blowing another $700 for a new system.

While I prefer Sony's exclusives this generation, people **** on MS a bit too much. They pioneered a lot of things in console gaming that Sony, and Nintendo (to a lesser extent), picked up. Ethernet/broadband connectivity out of the box, mainstreamed wireless controllers, internal hard drives (and external HDs this generation), mainstreamed online gaming, cross-game party chat, Achievements, Dolby surround sound in game, HD gaming, arcade/indie game development, Netflix streaming on consoles, Twitch streaming on consoles, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. Did they drop the ball on things like Kinect? Should they have tried to buy Bungie and Bioware after KOTOR and Mass Effect were such hits for their systems? Yes, but they've definitely been innovators in home consoles. Nintendo still refuses to do much of this because they don't think gamers want this stuff. If Xbox went away, I'd hate to see who would be around to push Sony to innovate in the home console market. Hopefully Sony pushes MS to buy up or develop some more studios for exclusives.

While I prefer Sony's exclusives this generation, people **** on MS a bit too much. They pioneered a lot of things in console gaming that Sony, and Nintendo (to a lesser extent), picked up. Ethernet/broadband connectivity out of the box, mainstreamed wireless controllers, internal hard drives (and external HDs this generation), mainstreamed online gaming, cross-game party chat, Achievements, Dolby surround sound in game, HD gaming, arcade/indie game development, Netflix streaming on consoles, Twitch streaming on consoles, and probably a few things I'm forgetting. Did they drop the ball on things like Kinect? Should they have tried to buy Bungie and Bioware after KOTOR and Mass Effect were such hits for their systems? Yes, but they've definitely been innovators in home consoles. Nintendo still refuses to do much of this because they don't think gamers want this stuff. If Xbox went away, I'd hate to see who would be around to push Sony to innovate in the home console market. Hopefully Sony pushes MS to buy up or develop some more studios for exclusives.

Yeah they're great at everything except games. Which for me is far and away the most important thing. All the other stuff is great too, don't get me wrong but having a great library of diverse exclusives is priority one. Forza and Halo ain't enough. Now that all their games are going to PC, it's even less of an incentive to own their consoles.

Last edited:
Yeah they're great at everything except games. Which for me is far and away the most important thing. All the other stuff is great too, don't get me wrong but having a great library of diverse exclusives is priority one. Forza and Halo ain't enough. Now that all their games are going to PC, it's even less of an incentive to own their consoles.

I think they have enough brand loyalty with Gears, Forza, and Halo to be alright. Nintendo also makes few games, and they have far less money to play around with than MS. Neither will have the home console market of Sony at this point, which brings me to the PC part - people who want to play those games want to play them on console. If a diverse selection of games mattered the most then nobody would buy either console because PC has a much larger library and technical specs, but they're totally different animals compared to console gamers. I can buy Nier on PC, but I don't want to sit at a computer. And when PSNow gets PS4 games later this year, I don't think it will make people buy fewer PS4s because they'll be able to play Uncharted 4 on PC. You're right though, I wish they'd develop more first party games, but I don't think being able to play them on PC will matter much to anyone who uses PCs because they tend to stay far away from the Windows Store. I've told my Gears, Halo, and Forza friends about Persona 5, but they don't care. They said they'd like Bloodborne and Uncharted, but not enough for them to buy a PC or another console.

I completely agree with you, except for the part about the Switch. I can't see that happening... but who knows.

According to "Shinobi", a very reliable NeoGaf insider who's almost always right, MS' new console will get a "soft" unveil sometime this week. Reported to be "very powerful, very compact," and supposed to be using some revolutionary new cooling system.

Revolutionary Styrofoam?

I can see the debate. I just have a hard time buying it.

I think, for the most part, it comes down to how many people buy a Switch for a couple of games, and how many of those people are the same target market as Xbox/PS4.

Will the Switch land some third party AAA games and be more than just a machine with which to play Zelda and Mario?

I think, for the most part, it comes down to how many people buy a Switch for a couple of games, and how many of those people are the same target market as Xbox/PS4.

Will the Switch land some third party AAA games and be more than just a machine with which to play Zelda and Mario?

I think support for Switch will be very similar to 3DS. Most of it's library is going to come from Nintendo IP's, Japanese 3rd party developers, and indies. The good news is that we should see a lot of unique games for the system that can't be played anywhere else. The bad news is don't expect major western "AAA" games other than probably EA sports. This type of support was good enough to get 3DS to over 60 million units sold. If Switch can get even close to that number it will most certainly be a success.

I think support for Switch will be very similar to 3DS. Most of it's library is going to come from Nintendo IP's, Japanese 3rd party developers, and indies. The good news is that we should see a lot of unique games for the system that can't be played anywhere else. The bad news is don't expect major western "AAA" games other than probably EA sports. This type of support was good enough to get 3DS to over 60 million units sold. If Switch can get even close to that number it will most certainly be a success.

IMO, this is what will kill the Switch, the same way the WII U was killed. If they don't have 3rd party support from AAA titles, the system will flop. The Switch isn't the 3DS. The Switch is getting some 3rd party support in NBA 2K and some others, but how long that last will determine the longevity and success of the Switch IMO.

Nope, because your average console gamer plays AAA multi-plats, not exclusives.

IMO, this is what will kill the Switch, the same way the WII U was killed. If they don't have 3rd party support from AAA titles, the system will flop. The Switch isn't the 3DS. The Switch is getting some 3rd party support in NBA 2K and some others, but how long that last will determine the longevity and success of the Switch IMO.

Question, Taking into consideration that Nintendo makes a profit on every unit sold how many Switch's do you think Nintendo need to sell to be considered successful? If we put the range from their lowest selling console (Wii U at 13.1 million) to their highest selling console (Wii at 101.63 million). Where do you think sales of the Switch need to fall in order for it to succeed?

VN Store

Back