MS announces new Xbox Games Pass

Brave Volunteer

Halo 5 Guardians headlines new Xbox subscription service - CNET

xbox-game-pass-470x310@2x.jpg

Today, we’re continuing our commitment to give you more options to diversify and expand your library of games with Xbox Game Pass, a new gaming subscription service coming later this spring. Xbox Game Pass gives you unlimited access to over 100 Xbox One and backward compatible Xbox 360 games – all for $9.99 per month.
Read more at Xbox Wire
$9.99 a month, launching in the spring. You download the games to your system, and can purchase them outright for a discounted price to use even after your subscription lapses.

One of the best things about Xbox Game Pass is that you can discover and download the full titles directly on your Xbox One. That means continuous, full-fidelity gameplay without having to worry about streaming, bandwidth or connectivity issues. In addition, all Xbox One games in the catalog – and related add-ons – will be available to purchase at an exclusive discount for Xbox Game Pass members, so you can make the games you love part of your permanent library to play whenever you want. Every month new games will cycle into the subscription with some cycling out, giving you a constantly-updating library of games. Xbox Game Pass is your ticket to endless play.
Read more at Xbox Wire

Last edited:
It's a terrible service anyway. Way too expensive, not enough classic games, plus who wants to stream games? Sony invested a ton of cash into that service too.

Oh and I'll bet Gamestop LOVES MS for this LOL!
PSNow is too expensive imo and the selection they have is very limited. Expand that library to include ubisoft and bio ware past gen and some good choices for current gen games a little older, then I'd be in. The stream quality itself is surprisingly excellent....couldn't even tell I was streaming a game.

PSNow is too expensive imo and the selection they have is very limited. Expand that library to include ubisoft and bio ware past gen and some good choices for current gen games a little older, then I'd be in. The stream quality itself is surprisingly excellent....couldn't even tell I was streaming a game.

The only downside is you're not getting full fidelity. 720p is the max that PS Now streams at. While most PS3 games were at 720p anyway, there were some 1080p games as well.

I was hoping that when Sony increased the price of Plus, it meant that we might be getting Now as part of the subscription. However now, who knows. It will be interesting to see if Sony even has a response to this.

Playstation has announced they are re-doing PS Now and it will include PS4 games. So, pretty much the same setup XBOX announced. Shocker!

Playstation has announced they are re-doing PS Now and it will include PS4 games. So, pretty much the same setup XBOX announced. Shocker!

Not entirely. PS Now is still a streaming service, limited to playing games at 720p resolution. Xbox Games Pass is cheaper and allows for full download of the games. Unless something changes, MS' service will kick the ever living hell out of Sony's IMO.

Not entirely. PS Now is still a streaming service, limited to playing games at 720p resolution. Xbox Games Pass is cheaper and allows for full download of the games. Unless something changes, MS' service will kick the ever living hell out of Sony's IMO.

True dat. Similar. Can't imagine I'll use either but I'm sure plenty will.

Since I missed out on most of the PS3 era, I decided to grab the $100 yearly sub to Now. It's been okay. The dips in connection really suck though. It is best for JRPGs. Playing action games or anything that require precision will end up getting you dead eventually. I hope the PS4 games come before my sub is up. I'm interested in Xbox's service. Especially the downloading part.

Since I missed out on most of the PS3 era, I decided to grab the $100 yearly sub to Now. It's been okay. The dips in connection really suck though. It is best for JRPGs. Playing action games or anything that require precision will end up getting you dead eventually. I hope the PS4 games come before my sub is up. I'm interested in Xbox's service. Especially the downloading part.

I seriously don't see how Sony can expect gamers to willingly pay for game streaming with MS' way superior download service staring right at them. PlayStation exclusives are strong but they're not THAT strong.

I have had absolutely no issues with the streaming quality of PSNow. The selection sucks really hard, but I will have to give them credit on the streaming. I have pretty good internet, so is probably helping a bit.

I have had absolutely no issues with the streaming quality of PSNow. The selection sucks really hard, but I will have to give them credit on the streaming. I have pretty good internet, so is probably helping a bit.

I only have 60 down and 10 up, so I don't know if that's sufficient for Now, but I can't play something like Dark Souls 2 without getting a dip that gets me killed. I can get through some turn based stuff without issue though and the Last of Us has worked fine. Just games that have zero room for error lol

And yes, the selection of "450 games" is a lot of doubles or half-games from the TellTale series. I was excited to play them, before finding out they were like 1-2 episodes only 😐

How did you get the $100? I looked but could only find the option for monthly or quarterly.

I seriously don't see how Sony can expect gamers to willingly pay for game streaming with MS' way superior download service staring right at them. PlayStation exclusives are strong but they're not THAT strong.

PS4 exclusives are pretty strong. Especially compared to Microsoft exclusives which are practically nonexistent. I can't even think of any upcoming Microsoft exclusives, except Crackdown.

But as for PSNow, I have no idea how it performs but it's hard to imagine a streaming service not being a bit laggy.

Good to know. How long have you had the service? It's interesting that it can be used on PC also.

Check the content list..... It's not worth even 99 a year IMO

I did. There are a probably a dozen games I'd play. And they're adding some PS4 games too.

I'm not sure I'd pay $100 a year but I definitely wouldn't pay $20 a month.

VN Store

Back