NiOh (PS4)

Brave Volunteer

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NfR_-G9uQrQ[/youtube]

This game is getting extremely high reviews. Much higher than I thought it would honestly. Fans of Ninja Gaiden/Dark Souls will probably like this.

Looks like a mix between Dark Souls and Tenchu.

A lot of promise here, although I hear its level-based as opposed to open world. I'm ok with that, just seems like an odd move considering open world is kind of the direction gaming is going now.

Looks like a mix between Dark Souls and Tenchu.

A lot of promise here, although I hear its level-based as opposed to open world. I'm ok with that, just seems like an odd move considering open world is kind of the direction gaming is going now.

I think I'm okay with it. I'm just about overwhelmed with open world at this point. Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are great, but exhausting. The Souls games are sort of level-based too, I guess.

I think I'm okay with it. I'm just about overwhelmed with open world at this point. Witcher 3 and Fallout 4 are great, but exhausting. The Souls games are sort of level-based too, I guess.

I don't think every game needs it. It's just whatever best serves the narrative.

I don't think every game needs it. It's just whatever best serves the narrative.

Right. I liked the chapters of Witcher 2, but could also see open world in 3 being a good move to make. Can't say that MGS5 is a bad game, it's a blast, but I did miss the style from the first four once I'd liberated/converted the billionth outpost in 5. Fallout is great as open world too, especially New Vegas. Only slightly repetitive and empty feeling at times. I hope to get around to FF15 soon to see how I feel about its open world.

Right. I liked the chapters of Witcher 2, but could also see open world in 3 being a good move to make. Can't say that MGS5 is a bad game, it's a blast, but I did miss the style from the first four once I'd liberated/converted the billionth outpost in 5. Fallout is great as open world too, especially New Vegas. Only slightly repetitive and empty feeling at times. I hope to get around to FF15 soon to see how I feel about its open world.

These are the biggest trappings of an open world game. Mafia 3 suffered from this. It had an interesting story but the map was largely empty and the game was overly padded by constantly sending you on these mundane fetch quests. I much prefer a game that gets to the point. Just like in movies, I'd rather see a well edited, lean, 90 minute movie that keeps the story moving and interesting than a pointless 3 hour epic. Bigger does not always equal better IMO.

My personal favorite method in games is "zone" based level design in such games as Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, and Uncharted 4. These are linear games in that the narrative keeps you moving and advancing. However each chapter puts you in zones that are just big enough to give you a sense of freedom without it being overly cumbersome.

Last edited:
the map was largely empty and the game was overly padded by constantly sending you on these mundane fetch quests.

That's what FFXV was. Big map with a whole lot of nothing and shallow quests because they felt like they had to make it like a western RPG.

I much prefer a game that gets to the point. Just like in movies, I'd rather see a well edited, lean, 90 minute movie that keeps the story moving and interesting than a pointless 3 hour epic. Bigger does not always equal better IMO.

Agreed 100%

These are the biggest trappings of an open world game. Mafia 3 suffered from this. It had an interesting story but the map was largely empty and the game was overly padded by constantly sending you on these mundane fetch quests. I much prefer a game that gets to the point. Just like in movies, I'd rather see a well edited, lean, 90 minute movie that keeps the story moving and interesting than a pointless 3 hour epic. Bigger does not always equal better IMO.

My personal favorite method in games is "zone" based level design in such games as Rise of the Tomb Raider, The Last of Us, and Uncharted 4. These are linear games in that the narrative keeps you moving and advancing. However each chapter puts you in zones that are just big enough to give you a sense of freedom without it being overly cumbersome.

To this point as well, does anyone else ever feel like you get so caught up in the open-worldness and the multiple side quests and the grinding that you pretty much lose track of the story? I think many stories have been ruined by that at this point. FFXV would have done well to have some linear gameplay/action for the first half, then go open for the second half.

I think a lot of games should start going that route.

To this point as well, does anyone else ever feel like you get so caught up in the open-worldness and the multiple side quests and the grinding that you pretty much lose track of the story? I think many stories have been ruined by that at this point. FFXV would have done well to have some linear gameplay/action for the first half, then go open for the second half.

I think a lot of games should start going that route.

Yeah, 56 hours into Witcher 3 before I knew about Skellige. I had to make myself focus on the main story before I'd gotten sick of the game. FF15 suffers the same issue? 😑

Yeah, 56 hours into Witcher 3 before I knew about Skellige. I had to make myself focus on the main story before I'd gotten sick of the game. FF15 suffers the same issue? 😑

For what it's worth, there isn't much to the story until it gets into the more linear portion of the game. You can just really really get lost in the open world aspect (especially when you get free roam of the map) and forget where you are in the story.

As I said in the XV thread though, the world is beautiful. You'll want to explore it. It's not uncommon to be driving around a ridge and look over and see massive creatures just hanging out in their natural habitat. I'm at the linear portion now and I regret not exploring more when I had the chance.

For what it's worth, there isn't much to the story until it gets into the more linear portion of the game. You can just really really get lost in the open world aspect (especially when you get free roam of the map) and forget where you are in the story.

As I said in the XV thread though, the world is beautiful. You'll want to explore it. It's not uncommon to be driving around a ridge and look over and see massive creatures just hanging out in their natural habitat. I'm at the linear portion now and I regret not exploring more when I had the chance.

I actually found the side stories in The Witcher 3 to be more interesting than the main story.

LOL!!

giphy.gif

Watched a little of a Twitch stream of this one today. Looks interesting. I'm usually not a big fan of Japanese games, though.

This games fantastic. It's definitely not as difficult as the souls games but it's similar in many ways and I love the souls series. Including bloodborne

Watched a little of a Twitch stream of this one today. Looks interesting. I'm usually not a big fan of Japanese games, though.

You liked Dark Souls 3 though! From is one of the best Japanese developers. Unless you mean games set in Japan? Lol

This games fantastic. It's definitely not as difficult as the souls games but it's similar in many ways and I love the souls series. Including bloodborne

Is it really not as difficult as Souls? I remember playing the demo and thought it was harder than Souls.

Is it really not as difficult as Souls? I remember playing the demo and thought it was harder than Souls.

The boss fights are difficult. But the enemies in the levels aren't nearly as hard as Knights in anor Lando for example

The boss fights are difficult. But the enemies in the levels aren't nearly as hard as Knights in anor Lando for example

Got ya. I'm definitely more scared of some of the normal enemies in DS than most of the bosses. Lol.

VN Store

Back