PS4 to finally get external hard drive support!

Brave Volunteer

Finally! Also the ability to use custom wallpapers is being added.

As revealed in the PS Blog, the PS4 is FINALLY getting external HDD support. What ironic timing

PlayStation.Blog - Home

External HDD Support
It’s easy to upgrade the HDD that came with your PS4, but if you’re still looking for more storage space on the console, we’ve got you covered. With this update, you have the option to store content to an external HDD. Just plug a USB 3.0 HDD into your PS4, and voilà, you now have more space on the console.

This is compatible with HDDs up to 8TB in size. You can download and install applications directly to your extra storage, and the saved contents are easily manageable through the settings menu.

Also, all the applications saved in the external HDD will appear in the Content Launcher of the Home Screen so it’s easy to keep track of what apps you launched recently.

Bout time. Nice addition. I swapped my drive a couple months ago.

Adding the ability to use in game screenshots for wallpapers, too.

Last edited:
This is troll bait for the PC master racers in here!

It's funny how my stance has changed on the whole physical VS digital debate. I used to be dead set against digital and would only buy physical. Now, I never want to go back to physical ever again. I've found so many great deals on digital through PS Plus and the flash sales. I picked up Until Dawn for like 5.00 on the store and over the holidays I got Titanfall 2 and Battlefield 1 deluxe editions for 70.00. It was literally two for the price of one. Plus, I mean the ability to switch between games that quickly and seamlessly is so nice! I'll never go back to disks again.

Got the beta invite for the new OS. Will download tonight and set my wallpaper to funny cats in party hats

I obviously haven't priced them. Crazy how more expensive the external SSDs are.

From everything I've read, the gains arent worth the cost. Standard PS4 doesnt support SATA 3 at all and even PS4 Pro only supports it in a limited way, yielding about a 2 second decrease in load times on average.

From everything I've read, the gains arent worth the cost. Standard PS4 doesnt support SATA 3 at all and even PS4 Pro only supports it in a limited way, yielding about a 2 second decrease in load times on average.

Although they are a little faster I think the pro of the SSD is no movable parts which means less chance of a failure and losing your saved data.

Great update from Sony. The thing I picked up from the story owning the VR headset was being able to watch a 3d movie through it. I would guess this will be different as in the traditional 3D movies of just facing foward watching it as you can turn 360° and the movie basically surrounding you.

I don't think movies are 360. It's more of just a big screen in front of you. And now it can show 3d movies.

Speaking of PSVR, new program lets you play Steam and SteamVR games on it now.

Last edited:
Figured I would post this here instead of a new thread...

Any real reasons to jump and get a PS4 in addition to an Xbox One?

I mainly play the COD, GTA, Madden type games. Didn't know if there was really anything worth splurging on a PS4 for.

I mainly play the COD, GTA, Madden type games. Didn't know if there was really anything worth splurging on a PS4 for.

You already have an Xbox? If that’s all you play, I’d stick to one console. The PS4 has some real nice action and rpg games though, if you’re interested. MLB too if you want baseball.

You already have an Xbox? If that’s all you play, I’d stick to one console. The PS4 has some real nice action and rpg games though, if you’re interested. MLB too if you want baseball.

He should get a PS4 just for the game of the year known as Persona 5. Lol. Or a PS3 to be cheaper.

If that's all you play then probably not. To make PS4 worth it to you, you have to appreciate their exclusives. If you have no interest in playing those you might as well stick with your Xbox.

If that's all you play then probably not. To make PS4 worth it to you, you have to appreciate their exclusives. If you have no interest in playing those you might as well stick with your Xbox.

I guess that's what I am asking. Are there any exclusives that would make getting one worth it? I'm not against trying new games.

Horizon Zero Dawn, MLB The Show, Nioh, GT Sport, Persona 5, and Uncharted are some of the best exclusive title out there and all on PS4. Also God of War is coming

VN Store

Back