Xbox One/PC game Scalebound cancelled

I saw that. Bummer. Also saw the director had to take a break from development because of stress? Must've not been what he was hoping it to be.

I saw that. Bummer. Also saw the director had to take a break from development because of stress? Must've not been what he was hoping it to be.

I don't know what it is about Japanese developers but ever since game development moved to HD, they've had an awful time adjusting to it, whether it be ridiculously long dev times (The Last Guardian, FFXV, Zelda BOTW, Gran Turismo, etc) or just a lot of poor game design. Where at one time they were the standard-bearer for game development, now they trail Western and European developers in many aspects. My hunch is that at least some of it is due to so many Western and European developers already having experience developing games at higher resolutions. I mean, I was playing games at a resolution of 1024x768 on my old CRT monitor back in the 90's.

I don't know what it is about Japanese developers but ever since game development moved to HD, they've had an awful time adjusting to it, whether it be ridiculously long dev times (The Last Guardian, FFXV, Zelda BOTW, Gran Turismo, etc) or just a lot of poor game design. Where at one time they were the standard-bearer for game development, now they trail Western and European developers in many aspects. My hunch is that at least some of it is due to so many Western and European developers already having experience developing games at higher resolutions. I mean, I was playing games at a resolution of 1024x768 on my old CRT monitor back in the 90's.

Yes, that and the scope of western games are much larger than what I remember playing from Japanese developers. They were all typically concise and generally linear games, which is the complete opposite of the trends today with western developers. I wish they'd not try to copy the style and stick to what they were good at because I didn't mind preset characters, stories, plots, or whatever. I know I reference them way too often, but From Software has been the only Japanese team that I can think of that has captured the feel of western games without losing what makes Japanese games so great.

Edit - Kojima's MGS5 and, possibly, Nintendo with the new open world Zelda are notable exceptions.

Last edited:
Yes, that and the scope of western games are much larger than what I remember playing from Japanese developers. They were all typically concise and generally linear games, which is the complete opposite of the trends today with western developers. I wish they'd not try to copy the style and stick to what they were good at because I didn't mind preset characters, stories, plots, or whatever. I know I reference them way too often, but From Software has been the only Japanese team that I can think of that has captured the feel of western games without losing what makes Japanese games so great.

Edit - Kojima's MGS5 and, possibly, Nintendo with the new open world Zelda are notable exceptions.

Square/Enix seems to be finding their legs again by making games that cater to both audiences. FFXV for those who like big open world games, FF IVX for MMO fans, and games like I Am Setsuna and World of Final Fantasy for traditional JRPG fans.

Also if you haven't tried it out yet I highly recommend playing the demo for Nier Automata. It's being developed (ironically) by Platinum Games and it's a blast! I would've given anything for The Witcher 3 to have had this game's play mechanics which are fast, fluid, and highly responsive (something I still think Japanese developed games still have on Western/Euro developed games). Typically when I download a demo I play it once or twice and I'm done. However this demo I've played it over and over because it's so much fun.

Square/Enix seems to be finding their legs again by making games that cater to both audiences. FFXV for those who like big open world games, FF IVX for MMO fans, and games like I Am Setsuna and World of Final Fantasy for traditional JRPG fans.

Also if you haven't tried it out yet I highly recommend playing the demo for Nier Automata. It's being developed (ironically) by Platinum Games and it's a blast! I would've given anything for The Witcher 3 to have had this game's play mechanics which are fast, fluid, and highly responsive (something I still think Japanese developed games still have on Western/Euro developed games). Typically when I download a demo I play it once or twice and I'm done. However this demo I've played it over and over because it's so much fun.

I wish I Am Setsuna wasn't such a bust financially. I'm afraid they'll not make anymore like it. I got FF15 on sale, but my backlog is killing me. I hope to get on it after RE7. The combat in Witcher is my only gripe, and Platinum games do tend to have super fluid gameplay. The first Nier was pretty good, I'll check this one out.

VN Store

Back