Dead rising 4

RetardedElf

Has anyone played this? If so is it worth picking up? I'm thinking about getting it since it's on sale for $29 at gamestop but the mixed reviews are giving me pause

I would imagine a couple days with this game is enough. I'd personally redbox it but $29 isn't exactly a ton of money.

Funny you posted this, I ordered it off Amazon for $30 because I had $35 in credit and I'm a DR fan. It seems to not be liked by long time fans; the most consistent criticism is they've really dumbed it down for more casual fans.

Funny you posted this, I ordered it off Amazon for $30 because I had $35 in credit and I'm a DR fan. It seems to not be liked by long time fans; the most consistent criticism is they've really dumbed it down for more casual fans.

That's why I was asking for more opinions I really like all the DR games and it seems most people hate it because they changed some things up and did away with the time limits so you can go around and explore

That's why I was asking for more opinions I really like all the DR games and it seems most people hate it because they changed some things up and did away with the time limits so you can go around and explore

Yeah; but honestly I always hated the time limit. It wasn't as bad in 2 and 3 but the first one it was crazy.

I really did as well you'd see something cool you wanted to go look around in or just mess around in the city but you couldn't really or if you did do it with the swiftness. I ended up getting it and from the hour or so I've played it I really like it I've spent more time just looking around in the stores and killing zombies than I have actually doing the missions

As much as I dig zombie/survival games, I've never been into the Dead Rising series. Clunky/old school controls and gameplay, insanely frustrating difficulty, and boss battles that just seem out of place. Dead Rising, to me, has always been a little confused about what type of game it wanted to be.

As much as I dig zombie/survival games, I've never been into the Dead Rising series. Clunky/old school controls and gameplay, insanely frustrating difficulty, and boss battles that just seem out of place. Dead Rising, to me, has always been a little confused about what type of game it wanted to be.

For some reason the first one is the most beloved of hardcore fans, but it's my least favorite. It's by far the most difficult but it's the kind of difficult that feels artificial. It's mostly becasue of the time limit crap that made me unable to really enjoy it because I felt like I had to keep hurrying to do everything. It was also made in a time when maybe half the intended audience had an HDTV but they made it specifically to play on one. So when I first played it, the text was too small to read and many complained.

DR2 is the best to me. It had a much better time limit balance. Plus they released a demo that was actually a prelude to the game, and the second DLC actually tied it into the first game very well.

DR2 Off the Record is ok but kind of a waste of time to me. It's basically a non-canon version of DR 2 except it starts Frank West and not Chuck Greene.

DR3 is decent but it almost tried to take itself too seriously. The time limit was even more lax but a lot of the humor was gone.

man, I forgot about the timit limit! I think that was the final deal breaker for me... no rhyme or reason to it other than to amp up the difficulty.

I guess some gamers enjoy that kind of challenge, again, stuff like timit limits come from the old school philosophy of video game challenges.

Last edited:
Another thing that sucked with the original was the final boss was extremely hard, and I had to beat him by using a cheap technique that took forever. If you tried to fight him head on, he'd kick your a## all over the place. But if you stood on a certain part of the tank you're fighting on and when he got close and drop kicked him, you could do that over and over and he'll never touch you. It took forever to do and just wasn't fun.

I just picked it up. $29.99 at GameStop. Figured it was worth it for the price

I just picked it up. $29.99 at GameStop. Figured it was worth it for the price

I'm glad I waited. I was close to getting it around launch date but remembered a lot of the games released this time of year drop in price after Christmas.

Nintendo seems to be the only console whose games don't drop in price any time soon.

After playing it a decent amount it's a pretty good game. they took some things out I wish they hadn't but other than that it's really fun and definitely worth $29.99

I'm glad I waited. I was close to getting it around launch date but remembered a lot of the games released this time of year drop in price after Christmas.

Nintendo seems to be the only console whose games don't drop in price any time soon.

I had no intent of getting it before the price drop and the fact they took the time limits

Lovely, a 12.2 gig update out of the gate. Looks like I'll be playing this in 2 hours.

Lovely, a 12.2 gig update out of the gate. Looks like I'll be playing this in 2 hours.

You're lucky on that it'd take me like 4-5 hours before I could play it. I messed up and tried to digital download gears of war 4 the day before Christmas and it took the better part of 2 days before I could play it

I'll tell you one thing pissing me off, my internet connection keeps dropping, and in turn it's causing my Xbox One connection to drop. When that's happened, DR 4 automatically exits my game. That's terrible design.

So I started playing late last night and finished the game this afternoon. I didn't play straight that whole time but I didn't do a whole lot today, so I was dedicated to it.

So my take.....I'm glad I only paid $30 for this game, and I'm a little upset I didn't pay just $20. It's overall not terrible, but it's a major step back for the franchise.

For one, the game is WAY too easy. This is coming from an average DR player, not a hardcore guy. I only died 2 times and both times were my own fault. You level up incredibly fast, your weapons seem to last a long time, and there are literally med kits and food everywhere. If you die in this game, you almost had to try to.

Second, the storyline is just strange. It's a sequel and they acknowledge the past games but only barely. In some ways it felt like this was supposed to be a reboot but they changed their minds and added things to tie it in, but as little as possible. They don't explain why Williamette was rebuilt and repopulated so quickly. The game takes place in 2021, so I guess it's possible in 15 years it would have happened, but again, it's not really treated with much thought. None of the characters from 2 or 3 are mentioned or referenced.

Three, the "new" Frank is terrible. The new guy doing the voice is much, much worse, and they've made him almost a parody of the old Frank. The old Frank was a smartass and definitely was pompous and selfish, but he wasn't heartless. This new Frank is a one-liner machine and appears to literally only care about himself most of the game. It's another reason I think this was originally a reboot.

I won't spoil it but I found the ending crap, though with story DLC coming, I'm going to bet the ending isn't the "real" ending.

You basically summed up my thoughts on it just better worded. It's cool you can run around and explore but it gets played out when there's no risk to it because you've got to go out of your way and really try to die in the game. I somehow got stranded in the middle of a group of zombies that covered the screen and 5-10 min later I had killed all 800-1,000 of them and still had half of my health

Last edited:
Another thing I forgot, there aren't really any side missions. They have the "Maniacs" that you can explore but throughout my whole game I only had about 4-5 pop up, and they are a joke compared to the maniacs of the past game. I just ran in and hacked them to death. The past games you had to use strategy to beat them.

Also, the game seems very rushed to fit with the "Christmas" theme. I've encountered a ton of bugs. None were game breaking, but for instance during the last case cutscenes, the audio would cut out and I couldn't hear what they were saying. Many have reported that one. Not to mention the Christmas thing is weird anyway, it makes it almost feel like a seasonal game. Like I'm playing it on New Year's Day but all the Christmas theme music and all made it feel already dated.

I'll probably get the Season Pass because they are releasing more story DLC and if it's like DR3, it should be a good amount. I also bet the Season Pass will release a Harder Mode, which IMO should have been included in the regular edition.

Last edited:
So even with my criticisms, I have to say I'm still having fun with the game. I'm on my 3rd playthrough because A) I want to fully level up Frank, B) I'm trying to get all the single player achievements and C) at the level I'm at, I can legit go through the whole game in less than 5 hours.

I am finding more glitches though, like after I bought the maps to get all the collectibles, there will be icons on the map but I go there and there is nothing there.

Are there any game breaking bugs you've encountered? I got about halfway through then put off finishing it until I've got to get an iv later this week for my MS which kills my immune system so I basically have to just chill by myself so I don't get sick. Thankfully I've got a decent backlog of games to run through though

Are there any game breaking bugs you've encountered? I got about halfway through then put off finishing it until I've got to get an iv later this week for my MS which kills my immune system so I basically have to just chill by myself so I don't get sick. Thankfully I've got a decent backlog of games to run through though

I've run into 2 glitches where I had to reload to the last checkpoint, both were boss fights.

One was I think on Case 4, I was supposed clear out an area of enemies. I killed them all but it kept telling me I had more to kill and I couldn't go forward so I had to reload. And then the final boss fight the same thing happened, I was supposed to be taken to the next stage of the fight but it just stayed in the same spot.

VN Store

Back