Brave Volunteer

Coming "Holiday 2017"

FOWjPGc.jpg

8 Cores
6 TFlops
320GB/s memory bandwidth
4K/VR Gaming
BC and forward compatible

Looks like a beast. I'm very interested to learn the price point though.

Coming "Holiday 2017"

FOWjPGc.jpg

8 Cores
6 TFlops
320GB/s memory bandwidth
4K/VR Gaming
BC and forward compatible

It's not really a new console, though. It's a hardware refresh of Xbox One.

Also during its E3 2016 press conference, Microsoft announced an upcoming hardware refresh of Xbox One codenamed "Project Scorpio", which is scheduled to be released in late-2017. The console will be a high-end model with upgraded hardware; in addition to 6 teraflops of graphical performance, "Scorpio" will feature an eight-core CPU with 320 gigabits of memory bandwidth. The hardware is meant to support 4K gameplay, as well as virtual reality. Xbox division head Phil Spencer stated that Scorpio was designed as a response to the growth of 4K gaming and VR in the high-end personal computer market, and that existing Xbox One games will experience performance improvements. Spencer stated in an example that Halo 5: Guardians, which uses a scaling system that dynamically lowers the game's resolution when needed to maintain a consistent frame rate, would be able to run at its native resolution with no scaling on "Scorpio". All existing Xbox One games and accessories will be compatible with the "Scorpio" console.

Reactions: 1 person
I view it as a new console. I think they're trying to market it as to not alienate current Xbox One owners. jmo.

I remember hearing that this gen (Ps4, Xbone , etc) was to be the end of "gen consoles"...

Kinda feels like consoles are going the way of phones and laptops. Relatively short lifespans with constant improving technology.

At what point does the console blend with the PC market? The console being a mainstay with the unit, with all the periphery (processor, ram, graphics cards, memory, etc.) as upgradable components.

VN Store

Back