Fun factiod: 21 years ago today the Sega Saturn launched

Brave Volunteer

816026sega-saturn1.jpg

Did anyone else here own the Sega Saturn? I picked one up at launch because at the time I was a huge fan of Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter. Hardware wise the Saturn was kind of a mess but it had some pretty fun games. I have fond memories of playing World Series Baseball, Virtua Fighter 1&2, Panzer Dragoon 1,2, & Saga, Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Guardian Heroes, Darkstalkers, Nights: Into Dreams, Radiant Silvergun, Grandia, etc.

Last edited:
I never got one but wish I had. I never would have gotten one at launch because I didn't have the money, but a couple of years later I wish I had gotten one for cheap.

IIRC, it was a terrible system and almost sunk Sega.

Thought it was the Dreamcast that sunk Sega. They made a recovery after they switched to software only

Never had a Saturn, but the Genesis was one of the best consoles ever on the market.

Last edited:
Thought it was the Dreamcast that sunk Sega. They made a recovery after they switched to software only

Never had a Saturn, but the Genesis was one of the best consoles ever on the market.

Dreamcast failed because the Saturn did so much damage.

Actually what sunk the Saturn was their idiotic decision to release it about 6 months before schedule and pretty much not tell anyone.

Dreamcast failed because the Saturn did so much damage.

Actually what sunk the Saturn was their idiotic decision to release it about 6 months before schedule and pretty much not tell anyone.

Even before that, the Sega CD and 32X add ons hurt them as well.

The Saturn, from concept to production proved that from a hardware engineering standpoint, Sega really had no vision. While both Sony and Nintendo were hard at work on consoles that would produce 3D graphics, Sega was designing the Saturn to be the ultimate 2D side scrolling machine. Once Sega caught wind of what Nintendo and Sony were doing, they basically shoe horned an extra CPU into the design at the last minute to try and put the Saturn on equal terms. However the hardware proved to be very difficult to program for and often times yielded less than favorable results.

816026sega-saturn1.jpg

Did anyone else here own the Sega Saturn? I picked one up at launch because at the time I was a huge fan of Daytona USA and Virtua Fighter. Hardware wise the Saturn was kind of a mess but it had some pretty fun games. I have fond memories of playing World Series Baseball, Virtua Fighter 1&2, Panzer Dragoon 1,2, & Saga, Daytona USA, Sega Rally Championship, Guardian Heroes, Darkstalkers, Nights: Into Dreams, Radiant Silvergun, Grandia, etc.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Saturn version of Castlevania Symphony of the Night was probably the best version. You could play as Maria. Tf is a factiod, Brave? :p

Once the PS1 had Suikoden and FF7 I traded my Saturn at school to an unsuspecting dumbass.

Panzer Dragoon Saga and the Saturn version of Castlevania Symphony of the Night was probably the best version. You could play as Maria. Tf is a factiod, Brave? :p

Once the PS1 had Suikoden and FF7 I traded my Saturn at school to an unsuspecting dumbass.

Yeah, it's more of a fact than a factoid

The Dreamcast didn't do well, but it was actually a great console, IMO. NBA 2k on that system was revolutionary. So was the UFC game. The problem with the Dreamcast is that Saturn failed so miserably Sega had a tarnished reputation and Playstation 2 came out soon after.

BTW, as I recall, it wasn't that the Saturn was so bad, it's that the titles were terrible. Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64 were making popular titles.

The Dreamcast didn't do well, but it was actually a great console, IMO. NBA 2k on that system was revolutionary. So was the UFC game. The problem with the Dreamcast is that Saturn failed so miserably Sega had a tarnished reputation and Playstation 2 came out soon after.

BTW, as I recall, it wasn't that the Saturn was so bad, it's that the titles were terrible. Playstation 1 and Nintendo 64 were making popular titles.

3rd party support wasn't great on the Saturn. The N64's was better but not nearly as good as the PlayStation.

They also ticked off retailers by moving up the American launch 5 months early, because the retailers said they didn't have time to plan for the demand and inventory.

Plus it didn't help that at the e3 where the Saturn was shown and they announced it was immediately available for $399, Sony followed with a mic drop moment when they showed the PlayStation and Sony's president's address was just "$299.00" and he walked away to the crowd going wild.

About the Dreamcast...

I think some people are forgetting that piracy on there was rampant. It eventually got to where you could download and burn games without jumping through any real hoops or difficult steps.

Download, burn and play. We had every game that came out that looked even remotely interesting.

That was a small but contributing part to the Dreamcast's failure.

I waited in line and got one on launch day. I thought NHL2K and NFL2K were good, but outside of that, they didn't have much with the system

About the Dreamcast...

I think some people are forgetting that piracy on there was rampant. It eventually got to where you could download and burn games without jumping through any real hoops or difficult steps.

Download, burn and play. We had every game that came out that looked even remotely interesting.

That was a small but contributing part to the Dreamcast's failure.
It was just as easy on the Xbox and xbox360. I had any game that I saw lol. I think it was more about creating the disc than actually wanting the game lol

VN Store

Back