Nioh (PS4)

UTK

This game has a free pretty lengthy alpha demo out on the PS4 store right now. (As in some people claim it took 10 hours to beat) To anyone who loves Dark Souls you have to check this game out. It's pretty awesome. I loved the original Dark Souls. Haven't played III yet so no spoilers about that game in here if you don't mind.

But basically this game takes what made Dark Souls great, expands on it a decent amount. It's a Souls like game but it adds nice touches to the gameplay which actually make the game more difficult than Souls. But it does it in a fun way. Not a BS way. It's set in like this feudal Japan era thats infested with beings called Yokai. Which are pretty much spirits and demons. I promise you, if you like Souls/Bloodborne you will love this game. Check out the demo! It has incredible potential.

Last edited:
This game has a free pretty lengthy alpha demo out on the PS4 store right now. (As in some people claim it took 10 hours to beat) To anyone who loves Dark Souls you have to check this game out. It's pretty awesome. I loved the original Dark Souls. Haven't played III yet so no spoilers about that game in here if you don't mind.

But basically this game takes what made Dark Souls great, expands on it a decent amount. It's a Souls like game but it adds nice touches to the gameplay which actually make the game more difficult than Souls. But it does it in a fun way. Not a BS way. It's set in like this federal Japn era thats infested with beings called Yokai. Which are pretty much sports and demons. I promise you, if you like Souls/Bloodborne you will love this game. Check out the demo! It has incredible potential.

It was pretty cool for an alpha. Definitely Souls-like. I prefer Souls controls, if they're going to clone it, but this could shape up to be a good one. The only thing I didn't like besides the controls was the the stamina mechanic. Your guy completely stops to gasp for breath. I like the feudal Japan setting a lot.

It was pretty cool for an alpha. Definitely Souls-like. I prefer Souls controls, if they're going to clone it, but this could shape up to be a good one. The only thing I didn't like besides the controls was the the stamina mechanic. Your guy completely stops to gasp for breath. I like the feudal Japan setting a lot.

See I like the aspects you don't seem to. Glad the controls differ so it's not a complete clone. But its a toss up for which i like more. But there is more depth to the mechanics here. Also the stamina mechanic is great IMO. You have to be smart with it. Be calculated. Also after a combo if you hit the stance button you get a burst back. So there's ways to avoid it. Just gotta play calculated. And I agree the setting is great.

Last edited:
See I like the aspects you don't seem to. Glad the controls differ so it's not a complete clone. But its a toss up for which i like more. But there is more depth to the mechanics here. Also the stamina mechanic is great IMO. You have to be smart with it. Be calculated. Also after a combo if you hit the stance button you get a burst back. So there's ways to avoid it. Just gotta play calculated. And I agree the setting is great.

I hear ya. I just feel if you're going to be a clone, don't try to reinvent the control wheel. If all FPS had different schemes that'd be a pain lol. I'm cool with the strategy of the stamina. It's just something is missing. After beating the demo, I didn't have the same hurrah moments as I did with the Souls. I liked it though. Hopefully it has online components for true coop and PvP.

I hear ya. I just feel if you're going to be a clone, don't try to reinvent the control wheel. If all FPS had different schemes that'd be a pain lol. I'm cool with the strategy of the stamina. It's just something is missing. After beating the demo, I didn't have the same hurrah moments as I did with the Souls. I liked it though. Hopefully it has online components for true coop and PvP.

Yeah fair points. I haven't even attempted a boss or anything yet so I haven't experienced the whole demo. I literally got to the second shrine and had to quit and go do something. But it was pretty great in the short time or so I messed around with it. I'll see how I feel about it after completing it. But yeah for an alpha it has great potential. Itll be interesting to see what changes from the alpha to the finshed version.

Last edited:
Yeah fair points. I haven't even attempted a boss or anything yet so I haven't experienced the whole demo. I literally got to the second shrine and had to quit and go do something. But it was pretty great in the short joint or so I messed around with it. I'll see how I feel about it after completing it. But yeah for an alpha it has great potential. Itll be interesting to see what changes from the alpha to the finshed version.

I think it has tons of potential. I have actually been hoping the Souls series would go to that sort of era after the high fantasy stuff.

Lol. It took me probably 5ish hours to beat the first level. If you beat it you unlock a second level. Haven't played the second level yet. It just varies at how fast/good you are I suppose. But I think the demo alpha is about to be taken off the store sadly

Lol. It took me probably 5ish hours to beat the first level. If you beat it you unlock a second level. Haven't played the second level yet. It just varies at how fast/good you are I suppose. But I think the demo alpha is about to be taken off the store sadly

The game is hard as balls! At times it makes Bloodborne feel like Mickey's Castle of Illusion.

The game is hard as balls! At times it makes Bloodborne feel like Mickey's Castle of Illusion.

It is hard af. I imagine they'll tone down some things.

Funny you said that because I've been telling people for years that Soulsborne difficulty is an illusion. It just has an early game learning curve. Most NES games were truly hard to beat. Mostly unfair in many instances, but way way harder overall.

Yeah it's very difficult. I hadn't played Bloodborne yet either. I'm shamefully behind. I've only played the first two Dark Souls.

But yeah, bearing the first boss in the demo felt pretty great. All the added mechanics such as stances add go the games depth and such. But that stamina system makes stuff really hard. But I like it.

Yeah it's very difficult. I hadn't played Bloodborne yet either.I'm shamefully behind. I've only played the first two Dark Souls.

But yeah, bearing the first boss in the demo felt pretty great. All the added mechanics such as stances add go the games depth and such. But that stamina system makes stuff really hard. But I like it.

Oh dude, it's easily one of the best PS4 exclusives! If you own a PS4, Bloodborne needs to be in your collection.

Oh dude, it's easily one of the best PS4 exclusives! If you own a PS4, Bloodborne needs to be in your collection.

I know. I have gaming PC and a lot of my time is spent on it and I have a lot of games to catch up on as I play through games very slowly. Lol. I'm dying to get to Bloodborne and Souls III

I know. I have gaming PC and a lot of my time is spent on it and I have a lot of games to catch up on as I play through games very slowly. Lol. I'm dying to get to Bloodborne and Souls III

Drop all that you're doing on PC and play them both. Right meow. You can get the pretty 60 FPS version of DKS3 on PC, but there are infinite estus flask users and various other modders to deal with, however.

Drop all that you're doing on PC and play them both. Right meow. You can get the pretty 60 FPS version of DKS3 on PC, but there are infinite estus flask users and various other modders to deal with, however.

I've actually been leaning to get DKS3 on the PS4. And only things I'm doing pn PC are Fallout 4, Witcher 3 (Yup, still no where near done with that game.) and FF 14 mmo.

I'm not sure when I can get it. I'm usually completely fine with waiting for games. Even ones that I really want to play. Fallout 4 is the only game I've bought on release in a couple of years. Haha I'll honestly probably get Souls III soon though. I want to play Bloodborne but I'm okay with waiting a while. As the Souls setting is way more interesting to me. Not that big on the whole werewolf beast londish setting of Bloodborne.

VN Store

Back