Doom (2016)

Volumnus 2011

WE LANDED ON THE MOON!
Okay. Doing the Beta this weekend.

This looks like Quake III Arena with a demonic twist, which excites me.

Ali-A got to play early yesterday.

The MP looks incredible, but as a life-long fan, I'm also pretty pumped for a campaign. Anybody else excited about this?

I don't know, I mean it looks like another first-person shooter to me.

These days it's just hard to come up with something in the FPS genre that makes one game dramatically different from another. Basically I would be asking myself "Why Doom and not Destiny?"

Unreal Tournament III with Doom skin... characters skate around and float through the air... seems like Doom should feel "heavier" with "weight" when moving and shooting...the ground and walls should shake when one of those big mf'ers comes at you....

the melee kills are a decent touch, but I'm weary of this one as it seems like more of the same that was more of the same, etc etc

Unreal Tournament III with Doom skin... characters skate around and float through the air... seems like Doom should feel "heavier" with "weight" when moving and shooting...the ground and walls should shake when one of those big mf'ers comes at you....

the melee kills are a decent touch, but I'm weary of this one as it seems like more of the same that was more of the same, etc etc

Well, my comparison was Quake III Arena, which I played the ish out of. I like its fast pace and powerups. I think that's what makes it different from a COD or even a Destiny. Destiny PVP left a lot to be desired for me, and COD is COD. I think throwing in an "Unreal Tournament" style game into the ring is a good move and worth a look.

New Cinematic Trailer

[youtube]https://youtu.be/KSZ4tSoumNk[/youtube]

Edit: Don't remember how to embed.

Well, my comparison was Quake III Arena, which I played the ish out of. I like its fast pace and powerups. I think that's what makes it different from a COD or even a Destiny. Destiny PVP left a lot to be desired for me, and COD is COD. I think throwing in an "Unreal Tournament" style game into the ring is a good move and worth a look.

I loved these types of shooters way back. I hope they have enough content/carrots on a string to keep players interested. I, too, have fallen for the constant leveling up and unlockables. Something I didn't care about (but, of course, knew nothing of, outside of my JRPGs) back in the '90s. I wish I hadn't, but I guess I needed something to give me motivation nowadays.

Played the beta. Demon rune is a great touch. Gameplay is smooth. Had mounds of fun. I was recording clips all night long. I must have recorded 20 just because I was constantly blown away by something that happened in the three hours I played.

Played the beta. Demon rune is a great touch. Gameplay is smooth. Had mounds of fun. I was recording clips all night long. I must have recorded 20 just because I was constantly blown away by something that happened in the three hours I played.

Did it feel like "Doom" though? (I'm assuming you are familiar with the originals)

Granted I'm not a big Doom guy, but I couldn't make it through more than one game of the demo. I didn't enjoy the gameplay or mechanics at all.

Granted I'm not a big Doom guy, but I couldn't make it through more than one game of the demo. I didn't enjoy the gameplay or mechanics at all.

Really? Man. I enjoyed how it was different from other popular multiplayer shooters. I loved the fact that pickups were back and how the reload was gone.

Really? Man. I enjoyed how it was different from other popular multiplayer shooters. I loved the fact that pickups were back and how the reload was gone.

Yeah, you aren't alone. I've read several reviews from folks who really enjoyed it. I never played Doom much back in the day so maybe I'm just missing the nostalgia or something.

Yeah, you aren't alone. I've read several reviews from folks who really enjoyed it. I never played Doom much back in the day so maybe I'm just missing the nostalgia or something.

Doom was a writ of passage of any PC gamer born before 1985 :eek:hmy:

I think this single player looks solid.

[youtube]http://youtu.be/i92rgRDT0lI[/youtube]

is the campaign as gritty as the xbox one? from what I have seen it looks a little too clean to be Doom, imo.

Just got the game and very early in the stages of the campaign. I hoping for some Doom II type ultra evil as I progress!

Just got the game this weekend. Campaign is fantastic. Difficult enough to be challenging without being rage quit levels. the shared ammo thing bothers me but the rest is great.

Just got the game this weekend. Campaign is fantastic. Difficult enough to be challenging without being rage quit levels. the shared ammo thing bothers me but the rest is great.

I'm not paying 60.00 for it but when this game gets discounted to 40 or so, I'm buying it. The demo was bad ass. I love how the game actually encourages you to be aggressive. If you get low on health, the thing to do is go right after enemies and you'll be rewarded with healing. That's so different from the way FPS games are these days with auto regeneration. Typically the thing to do is run and hide to allow yourself to heal.

Last edited:
I'm not paying 60.00 for it but when this game gets discounted to 40 or so, I'm buying it. The demo was bad ass. I love how the game actually encourages you to be aggressive. If you get low on health, the thing to do is go right after enemies and you'll be rewarded with healing. That's so different from the way FPS games are these days with auto regeneration. Typically the thing to do is run and hide to allow yourself to heal.

I picked up a used copy at GameStop for $40, beat it, then got my money back with their 7 day return policy. It was fun and worth a play through.

got it for a birthday so I can't complain on the cost.

VN Store

Back