Ps4k/4.5

Not sure if it's been brought up around here or not. Just thought I'd share just incase

More Sources Claim That The PS4K/PS4.5 Is Real, Could Arrive In 2017 | KitGuru

Yeah this is really beginning to pick up steam.

Personally I think what it's going to be is a PS4 slim with UHD Blu Ray and 4K media playback capability (not games). The PS3 went through a similar revision when Sony eventually added lossless audio playback capability. I think the media is making WAY more out of this than it really is.

This fits the pattern that Sony has followed for the last 2 systems. Wouldn't surprise me.

I still have my original backwards compatible PS3 from 2006 and I only ever had the original models of the PS and PS2, so I'll stick with my original PS4.

Will be shocked if this new PS4 can play AAA games at 4K at playable framerates. You need a $600 GPU to do that on a PC, and right now the PS4's GPU is the equivalent to an AMD 7870, which is a 4 year old GPU that was $250 when it was brand new. Upgrading the specs that much is more in line with what we'll see from the PS5.

It may be capable of playing some less graphically intensive games at 4K, though. Kind of like the handful of games that were 1080p capable on PS3.

Will be shocked if this new PS4 can play AAA games at 4K at playable framerates. You need a $600 GPU to do that on a PC.

There is no way this happens.......in this gen of consoles anyway. Unless they come out with a 1500 version of the PS4

Will be shocked if this new PS4 can play AAA games at 4K at playable framerates. You need a $600 GPU to do that on a PC, and right now the PS4's GPU is the equivalent to an AMD 7870, which is a 4 year old GPU that was $250 when it was brand new. Upgrading the specs that much is more in line with what we'll see from the PS5.

It may be capable of playing some less graphically intensive games at 4K, though. Kind of like the handful of games that were 1080p capable on PS3.

Yeah I'm willing to bet the "4K" aspect of this revision will be for movie playback, not games. Like you said, it takes a very expensive GPU to run games in 4K. I could see that being possible on the PS5, which is still probably 3 years away, but not for a PS4 revision.

I still have my original backwards compatible PS3 from 2006 and I only ever had the original models of the PS and PS2, so I'll stick with my original PS4.

I just got rid of my original backwards compatible PS3

Not really a rumor any longer. It looks like this is REALLY beginning to heat up.

PlayStation 4.5 to be announced before October - report

The rumoured PlayStation 4.5 - or PS4K as it's been codenamed - will allegedly be revealed before the PlayStation VR's launch in October, according to the Wall Street Journal (via GameSpot).

We already knew the PS4K was real, but this is the first mention of just how soon it's on the horizon.

According to the report, the new console will feature "ultra-high definition resolution graphics" and is looking "to capture gamers willing to pay for a richer gaming environment, including a high-end virtual-reality experience." As the PlayStation VR is running on PS4 hardware, this suggests that the impending VR boom is the impetus for this confusing half-generation hardware update.

On the plus side for current PS4 owners, the Wall Street Journal reported "it is likely that the current model and the coming one would share the same software catalog," so you won't have to buy a whole new console to play upcoming titles.

Probably the closest thing we've seen to this sort of mid-generation hardware upgrade is the New Nintendo 3DS, which Digital Foundry just compared to the original model. In that case the newer SKU was clearly a noticeable upgrade, but it didn't leave the previous hardware owners in the dust either as precious few titles are exclusive to the more recent model, and newer games still perform acceptably on the original platform.

The question comes down to pricing. Will a more powerful PS4 bring down the price of the current model, or will this be an "elite" system at a premium price point? Given that Sony is planning to announce the new hardware before October - presumably at E3 in June - it's not unlikely that we'll see the PS4K bundled with PlayStation VR. Now who wants to guess how much that'll be?

Sony could pull a rabbit out of a hat and launch this thing with a super secret AMD/Nvidia GPU that's capable of 4K/30 FPS. Would probably cost at least $500-$600, though.

Sony could pull a rabbit out of a hat and launch this thing with a super secret AMD/Nvidia GPU that's capable of 4K/30 FPS. Would probably cost at least $500-$600, though.

I don't own a 4K TV but if it did all games at 1080p/60fps I'd line up day one!

From NeoGAF:

Related info from a meeting we had yesterday was waiting for it to be approved before posting.

Price is currently $399.99 they were discussing a better CPU which would raise the price to $499.99 we were guaranteed the price will be no higher than $499.99 (He mentioned the CPU upgrade quite a bit almost as if they haven't really decided on a final spec could be a pricing issue.) also there is currently no plan for any type of trade in program for current PS4 users but that could change.

They stated that the GPU is twice as powerful as standard PS4 and much faster. They did not say exactly how fast but that is was running at a higher clock speed while being much smaller than the original.

It will have a 4k blu ray player and will upscale games that are not natively 4k.

Also there was talk of some sort of VR lounge for the media player app which is supposed to be getting a substantial upgrade.

It was stated plainly and with no room for interpretation that there are developers that already have development kits for the PS4K and that they are making games that will directly target and take advantage of the higher specs of the PS4K. It was also stated that these games will in fact work for the PS4 but with considerable sacrifices made to performance.

It was also made very clear that current games would not be getting any type of performance upgrades by being played on the system and any benefits to older games would come via patch per game and per developer. When asked if this was going to happen the response was "Its a possibility but doubtful with the exception of a handful of games."
We were also given a list of games that will be available at launch that will directly take advantage of the PS4K where the differences are and I will quote him "Significant."

For the PSVR

Eve Valkyrie
Robinson
GT Sport

For the PS4K

Deep Down (Thought this was dead)
GOW4 (This was the exact abbreviation on the sheet I can only assume its god of war 4)

There were more games on the list but these are the ones that stood out to me.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head I'll see if I can get any more information.

This is going to drive a lot of console players to PC. Especially if Microsoft follows suit.

With PC gaming I always know there's people rocking a $1000 video card with the latest intel chip with 120fps on ultra high settings. That doesn't really bother me since games look pretty good on my system at medium and medium/high settings.

Same thing here it seems. People rocking the newer PS4 with a 4K disc player will be rocking the ultra settings on new games. Current owners will be locked in on low.

I don't see a huge rush to upgrade. I don't need the movie player and I doubt games are going to look drastically different. But, should anything happen to my PS4 or it breaks, I'd be happy upgrading.

Interesting move here. Wonder if this is the only planned upgrade period here. What if this happens every 3 years or so?

Lol, how do you come up with that?

Because Sony is now trying to appeal to cutting-edge gamers (who are already likely to be PC gamers) while shutting out their core user base.

They're going the PC upgrade route with none of the perks. If this was an attachment for the original PS4, or if Sony offered a trade-in program, it would make a lot more sense.

But they're defeating the purpose of a console by releasing (or even just announcing/having info leak) a successor 2.5 years after it launched. People buy consoles because they think they can get several years worth of enjoyment out of them before they're rendered obsolete.

That might be the case here if the PS4K's only advantage over the standard PS4 is its display resolution, but from that post, it sounds like developers will utilize the enhanced GPU to create new games from the ground up. That's not going to sit well with original PS4 owners.

Meanwhile, PC owner's systems only become obsolete when their chipset no longer has a viable upgrade path, which often doesn't matter if the system is recent enough given the lack of progress in CPUs (see benchmarks comparing the old i5 2500K with the newest i5 6600K).

Bottom line: I just don't think people will react positively to the idea that if they want to play on Sony's latest and greatest, they need to shell out $400 AGAIN. Especially when 90% of the first iteration of the PS4's best games were available on PC already, and 4K/60FPS capable the entire time.

There's also the fact that a $400 console that's 4K-capable is going to have to cut some serious corners (unless Sony is prepared to lose obscene amounts of money per console sold). Meaning it will still be much less powerful than a gaming PC, even a relatively budget one.

Very good points Aesius and I somewhat agree with most of what you said. I think my hangup is when you use "a lot of console users". Even if they don't have a tradeup program (which would really be dumb on their part), the consoles will still completely dominate the market over PCs. Sure, you will have some who were big PC gamers before the PS4 came out defect back, but nothing that will really move the needle as far as the battle for the market.

Very good points Aesius and I somewhat agree with most of what you said. I think my hangup is when you use "a lot of console users". Even if they don't have a tradeup program (which would really be dumb on their part), the consoles will still completely dominate the market over PCs. Sure, you will have some who were big PC gamers before the PS4 came out defect back, but nothing that will really move the needle as far as the battle for the market.

Yeah, I still have no desire to go the PC route, even if MS does this too. I prefer the cohesiveness of PSN and XB Live to the fragmented online bases and stores on PC. Not to mention, I don't care to deal with the whole PC operating systems, system settings, etc. I just want to pop in a game, have it patch itself, and know that I can play it with my PSN and XBL friends. Not having a million tabs opened in Chrome, adjusting settings, ordering parts to replace, etc. I used to like PC gaming when it was my only online option, but I guess I'm a casual member of the inferior race now haha

Yeah, I still have no desire to go the PC route, even if MS does this too. I prefer the cohesiveness of PSN and XB Live to the fragmented online bases and stores on PC. Not to mention, I don't care to deal with the whole PC operating systems, system settings, etc. I just want to pop in a game, have it patch itself, and know that I can play it with my PSN and XBL friends. Not having a million tabs opened in Chrome, adjusting settings, ordering parts to replace, etc. I used to like PC gaming when it was my only online option, but I guess I'm a casual member of the inferior race now haha

Eh, PC gaming is extremely streamlined now (whereas it used to be a huge pain in the ass for sure). Windows 10 + Steam is a great combination. Most games auto-detect your hardware and set graphics options for you, and updates/patches are automatic through Steam.

You can even play with an Xbox 360/Xbox One/PS4 controller now, and almost every new PC game has native controller support.

Steam sales also make a mockery of the online marketplaces on XBL and PSN. And as you said, consoles still have to deal with patches and updates and installing games. All of which gets in the way of being able to turn on the system and start playing. That used to be consoles' biggest advantage over PCs, but it seems like they are slowly eliminating those advantages.

Eh, PC gaming is extremely streamlined now (whereas it used to be a huge pain in the ass for sure). Windows 10 + Steam is a great combination. Most games auto-detect your hardware and set graphics options for you, and updates/patches are automatic through Steam.

You can even play with an Xbox 360/Xbox One/PS4 controller now, and almost every new PC game has native controller support.

Steam sales also make a mockery of the online marketplaces on XBL and PSN. And as you said, consoles still have to deal with patches and updates and installing games. All of which gets in the way of being able to turn on the system and start playing. That used to be consoles' biggest advantage over PCs, but it seems like they are slowly eliminating those advantages.

Yeah, I know PC gaming has become far more streamlined in many of those things (controllers, auto settings, and hardware detection). So so much better than it used to be. And I do envy Steam sales, for sure.

I've always said I'd be on board for something like a Steambox, that has a unified online community and ease of access like a console, but minus the look of PC operating systems.

My knocks against PC gaming is mostly with having it be on a "computer" with all of the annoyances of dealing with Windows 10, Linux, Macs, or whatever. And the fragmented online communities, opposed to knowing everyone on my Xbox can play what I'm playing and I don't have to have separate game stores, friend lists, and servers to deal with. Or worrying that my friends' PCs can't handle the games mine can.

My consoles download my updates in rest mode, do you still have to manually patch games on PC?

I do agree with you guys in that consoles, for the time being, will still dominate the market over PCs. A big reason is that people are invested into the XBL/PSN ecosystems with their friends lists and overall familiarity with the interfaces and console libraries.

VN Store

Back