The Final Fantasy Thread

pls_no_woo

I know a lot of you guys prefer xbox over playstation, but I figured we should have a FF thread.

Are you excited about XV? Any stories, favorite moments from past games, etc.?

So far the games on ps4 have been pretty well-received (X and X2 Remaster, along with XIV)

I'm wondering if XIV: A Realm Reborn (an mmorpg) is any good... as I'm pretty much done with world of warcraft.

I know a lot of you guys prefer xbox over playstation, but I figured we should have a FF thread.

So far the games on ps4 have been pretty well-received (X and X2 Remaster, along with XIV)

I'm wondering if XIV: A Realm Reborn (an mmorpg) is any good... as I'm pretty much done with world of warcraft.

I just started playing Final Fantasy XIV, and I usually cant get into mmos but this one I really like so far. I think you can check out a 2 week free trial, so give it a shot. Its pretty solid imo. Free trial might be PC only don't know if its on PS4.

I'm looking forward to the VII remake more than XV honestly. The only two single player Final Fantasy games I've really enjoyed were VII and VIII. X was okay but eh. Couldn't get int o IX. Never played XII or XIII. Also anything before VII I haven't played either. But I really want to give VI a try someday.

Last edited:

Let's see, where to start.......

I really can't get excited about XV. I was amped about it for a long time, until I played the demo. I've pretty much covered every square inch of that demo, and it's just not a lot of fun. It's a lot of running for about 6 seconds, then your character gets tired and has to walk. It's extremely inconvenient considering how big the world is and how far you have to trek. Also the battle system is very meh. Unless the final release is a major overhaul, I will have a hard time getting excited about it.

I think another problem is that they need to move on from the Fabula Nova Crystallis world (This is the world that XIII, its sequels, and Type-O took place in. XV is going to take place in that same world). XIII was never a good enough game to make us want to continue playing games there.

I played some of XIV, it's ok. I mean the gameplay isn't nearly on par with other FF games, but it's not bad. I remember feeling like the battle system felt a bit clunky.

I will eventually pick up the X and X-2 remakes. I thoroughly enjoyed X bsck when I played it. I would literally sacrifice a testical for another Final Fantasy Tactics game. I personally think it's one of the best of the franchise.

The VII remake won't be turn-based combat, so I won't be picking it up. How dare they mess with a classic like that. I won't support them literally ruining (arguably) the greatest game of all time by turning it into a hack n slash.

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of excited to see what the new combat system is like in in the FF VII remake. I like when remakes try and do something different rather than being the same game with just modern graphics. While the turn base combat is classic, technology simply alows for a much more creative combat system. I just dony see it beinh a straight up hack and slash. There has to be some strategy in it. So, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

But this is coming from someone who simply enjoyed VII mostly because of the world, stor, and characters. So yeah. Lol

Last edited:
I'm actually kind of excited to see what the new combat system is like in in the FF VII remake. I like when remakes try and do something different rather than being the same game with just modern graphics. While the turn base combat is classic, technology simply alows for a much more creative combat system. So, I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

See I like a remaster to be an exact remaster. Like Dark Souls 2 or The Last of Us. Otherwise just call it a complete reboot.

Last edited:
Reactions: -GiveHim6-

I think more people have a PS here. And FF15 is going to be on Xbox too.

I'll likely get FF15 because I always get them, but 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 were the pinnacle for me.

I have FF10/10-2 for my Vita and PS4 and I played 14 until my subscription ran out. It was fun, but I can't invest the time and money needed in an MMORPG.

I'll pick up 7 Remake to experience the story again. I prefer turn based, but I don't hate action JRPGs. The Tales series and FF Type-0 battle systems weren't awful.

I'm looking much more forward to other JRPG's to be honest with you. Titles like Persona 5, Ni No Kuni 2, Star Ocean 5, Dragon Quest 11, etc.

I think more people have a PS here. And FF15 is going to be on Xbox too.

I'll likely get FF15 because I always get them, but 4, 5, 6, 7, and 9 were the pinnacle for me.

I have FF10/10-2 for my Vita and PS4 and I played 14 until my subscription ran out. It was fun, but I can't invest the time and money needed in an MMORPG.

I'll pick up 7 Remake to experience the story again. I prefer turn based, but I don't hate action JRPGs. The Tales series and FF Type-0 battle systems weren't awful.

Did you play tactics?

I missed out on Tactics. Rented it when I was younger and couldn't get into it at the time.

Would probably love it now.

VII was my favorite as a kid, but
couldn't get KotR and gave up. Will replay if the remaster is a true remaster.

Enjoyed VIII and got fairly far into it.

Didn't get very far in IX, didn't care for the main characters/graphics as much.

X was pretty cool.

Bought XII and played it some, but it was stolen somehwere along the line.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at video games but damned if I don't love them.

I missed out on Tactics. Rented it when I was younger and couldn't get into it at the time.

Would probably love it now.

VII was my favorite as a kid, but
couldn't get KotR and gave up. Will replay if the remaster is a true remaster.

Enjoyed VIII and got fairly far into it.

Didn't get very far in IX, didn't care for the main characters/graphics as much.

X was pretty cool.

Bought XII and played it some, but it was stolen somehwere along the line.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not good at video games but damned if I don't love them.

You don't have to be good at video games these days.

Arguably the best poster on VN started a thread about that recently.

http://www.volnation.com/forum/gaming/253202-todays-video-games-easy.html

I picked up the FF8 remaster the other day and I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It certainly feels outdated but nostalgic as well.

Word to the wise for anyone picking it up, it doesn’t display in 16:9, only 4:3. It will surprise you at first when the sides of the screen are chopped off. Luckily my tv has a custom setting that helped me alleviate most of that.

Reactions: Rifleman
Honest question....is FF still a true rpg?

I haven’t play one since the Super Nintendo but loved that one.

Seriously?? You never even played 7??

No.

I played the top down Super Nintendo one and loved it. But then I got into computer games big time like ultima abd command and conquer and then went straight to Xbox.

Had a ps 1 and 2 but only played the metal gear games.

Reactions: Rifleman
Have recently gotten back into FFXIV after only playing it briefly a couple of years ago. I cant seem to put it down right now and really enjoying it. I am not ready (just getting into Stormborn) for the new expansion, but it is out Friday for early release. Anyone play this?

Reactions: BilboTN
I started playing a month or two ago. I'll hop on for a hour here and there. I am really enjoying it, as it's MUCH less intense and time consuming than XI was. I'm barely into Heavensward right now as I keep getting sidetracked playing different classes.

Think I'm on Hyperion.

I started playing a month or two ago. I'll hop on for a hour here and there. I am really enjoying it, as it's MUCH less intense and time consuming than XI was. I'm barely into Heavensward right now as I keep getting sidetracked playing different classes.

Think I'm on Hyperion.
It is definitely a game you can sink a ton of time in. It's so good though and one of the only game stories that I have paid attention to. So well written

Reactions: BilboTN
It is definitely a game you can sink a ton of time in. It's so good though and one of the only game stories that I have paid attention to. So well written

The story is really enjoyable. I about pulled my hair out after finishing ARR and working towards HW. Having been 50 long before the storyline ended and getting a measly 2500xp when your next level is MILLIONS away was a nut punch.

I'm surprised at how much content there is, but I guess that comes with it being out for so long.

VN Store

Back