Gaming Headsets

TheDeeble

Guy on the Couch
Anyone got any recommendations for a good surround sound gaming headset for XB1? Don't have to be top of the line, but something that has surround sound and not just stereo.

I have some Turtle Beach X12s I liked from my 360. Supposedly you can buy an adapter for them and chat will work now. Anyone have any experience with this so far?

Or should I just invest in some new ones? My old ones would sometimes give me a headache. Too squeezy.

Anyone got any recommendations for a good surround sound gaming headset for XB1? Don't have to be top of the line, but something that has surround sound and not just stereo.

I have some Turtle Beach X12s I liked from my 360. Supposedly you can buy an adapter for them and chat will work now. Anyone have any experience with this so far?

Or should I just invest in some new ones? My old ones would sometimes give me a headache. Too squeezy.

I use Astro A50s and they work on my Xbox and PS4. Before that I had Turtle Beach X41 and used an adapter for it on the Xbox and it worked fine.

Reactions: 1 person
A50s are by far the best if you want to dish out the cash. If you're looking for something cheaper I suggest Afterglow.

Best Buy runs the Turtle Beach 420x on sale every few weeks for ~$129.99. They are wireless and full surround. Not a bad headset.

meh, you're sacrificing quality if you go with any "gaming" headset. mix amp + studio cans are the best sound you can get. pain in the ass setup though

So I said screw it and bought some Astro A 50s. I rarely spend money on myself and wanted to try out some wireless without having to deal with batteries.

They sound great. They're comfortable. But maybe it's because I've only had them for a day but adjusting volumes between chat and game is extremely frustrating. There's a chat/game volume control and a master volume built into the headset.

So far it doesn't look like there's independent volume control. If my friends are too quiet I tap my earphone towards chat which makes them louder, but it quiets the game volume at the same time. If the game volume is too quiet I tap the other side of the headset and the game volume goes up, but chat volume goes down. So I have to sit there and fiddle with finding a balance between chat volume/game volume, and then play with master volume at the same time to find a balance.

Surely I'm just new to them and missing something? I've never seen such a ridiculous volume setup. My old Turtle Beach's were simple. If I want my friends louder I turn chat volume up. But it didn't affect game volume. I had a separate control for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
So I said screw it and bought some Astro A 50s. I rarely spend money on myself and wanted to try out some wireless without having to deal with batteries.

They sound great. They're comfortable. But maybe it's because I've only had them for a day but adjusting volumes between chat and game is extremely frustrating. There's a chat/game volume control and a master volume built into the headset.

So far it doesn't look like there's independent volume control. If my friends are too quiet I tap my earphone towards chat which makes them louder, but it quiets the game volume at the same time. If the game volume is too quiet I tap the other side of the headset and the game volume goes up, but chat volume goes down. So I have to sit there and fiddle with finding a balance between chat volume/game volume, and then play with master volume at the same time to find a balance.

Surely I'm just new to them and missing something? I've never seen such a ridiculous volume setup. My old Turtle Beach's were simple. If I want my friends louder I turn chat volume up. But it didn't affect game volume. I had a separate control for that.

Yeah they are difficult to adjust just right. Are you on X1 or PS4? I'm not sure about my 4, but on my 1 I can adjust voice chat levels. I'm sure the 4 does the same.

Yeah they are difficult to adjust just right. Are you on X1 or PS4? I'm not sure about my 4, but on my 1 I can adjust voice chat levels. I'm sure the 4 does the same.

I'm on X1. On the right ear the outer cover is a chat/game volume adjustment balance. If I tap "chat", it gets louder but it quiets the game volume. If I tap the other side, game, the game gets louder but my chat volume goes down at the same time. Much of the time it's either I can hear my friends but the game volume is too quiet for me, or I'm going deaf trying to hear both.

At one point I was getting so frustrated I almost took them back, but my buddy said Battlefield 4 probably isn't the best game to decide that on and suggested I try a few other games first. When I thought about it he's right about BF4. It's a loudass game compared to most others. 64 people with vehicles makes it hard to find a quiet part to hear footsteps. Riding in a chopper I can barely hear my friends. RPGs/tanks/explosions are loud no matter where you are on the map. I haven't played COD in about 3 years and that's what I was used to soundwise. Footsteps/bulletfire and that's about it.

Last edited:
I'm on X1. On the right ear the outer cover is a chat/game volume adjustment balance. If I tap "chat", it gets louder but it quiets the game volume. If I tap the other side, game, the game gets louder but my chat volume goes down at the same time. Much of the time it's either I can hear my friends but the game volume is too quiet for me, or I'm going deaf trying to hear both.

At one point I was getting so frustrated I almost took them back, but my buddy said Battlefield 4 probably isn't the best game to decide that on and suggested I try a few other games first. When I thought about it he's right about BF4. It's a loudass game compared to most others. 64 people with vehicles makes it hard to find a quiet part to hear footsteps. Riding in a chopper I can barely hear my friends. RPGs/tanks/explosions are loud no matter where you are on the map. I haven't played COD in about 3 years and that's what I was used to soundwise. Footsteps/bulletfire and that's about it.

True. BF4 will make you deaf if you don't watch out.

This worked for me - plug in your A50s then double tap the Xbox button to pull up the left menu, go to options and it will show a sound mixer for game, chat, and mic monitoring. You have to mess with those settings along with the headset's side Chat/Voice button. I think I have all of those three setting maxed out, then it made the headset button easier to adjust.

VN Store

Back