Handheld Systems (3DS, Vita, etc.)

VolsSportsFan

Mo Money Mo Problems - Michael Scott
There's no doubt a 3DS/Vita thread buried somewhere but I thought I'd start a new one. I just ordered The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes for the 3DS, and it's the first 3DS game I've gotten in 2 years. The last one I got was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. But this month Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam comes out and I'll eventually get that too.

I also have a Vita but I haven't gotten a game for that in 2 years and unless something changes, I probably won't get another game since Sony has basically stopped supporting it.

Anyone else own a 3DS and/or Vita? Or any of the other older systems (DS, Game Boy, etc. )?

There's no doubt a 3DS/Vita thread buried somewhere but I thought I'd start a new one. I just ordered The Legend of Zelda: Tri-Force Heroes for the 3DS, and it's the first 3DS game I've gotten in 2 years. The last one I got was The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds. But this month Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam comes out and I'll eventually get that too.

I also have a Vita but I haven't gotten a game for that in 2 years and unless something changes, I probably won't get another game since Sony has basically stopped supporting it.

Anyone else own a 3DS and/or Vita? Or any of the other older systems (DS, Game Boy, etc. )?

We got my son a 3DS for Christmas. I must admit it's a cool little handheld. While not as powerful as the Vita, the 3D screen works really well (we got him the "new" 3DS that supposedly has an improved screen). He got Mario Kart 7 and Luigi's Haunted Mansion. Both games are really good! He's loved playing both.

I have a 3DS but I don't ever play it. The Nintendo ecosystem is so fragmented. I'll get back with Nintendo when they operate like Microsoft and Sony (enter the 21st century of gaming).

The Vita has some sweet obscure JRPGs and is good for PS1 games.

The best thing about the Vita is being able to remote play the PS4. I have to admit that's pretty impressive, and works really well when I want to play something and the wife wants to watch a movie or show.

The Wii U already has that ability with the gamepad (though not all games work that way). I really wish the Xbox One had a pad to play remotely.

The best thing about the Vita is being able to remote play the PS4. I have to admit that's pretty impressive, and works really well when I want to play something and the wife wants to watch a movie or show.

The Wii U already has that ability with the gamepad (though not all games work that way). I really wish the Xbox One had a pad to play remotely.

I thought you could already do that through their "smart glass feature."

I still play the Gameboy and the gameboy color alot. Love the Zelda games!

Actually play? I know you can stream but I don't think you can play.

If you can, I've been missing out.

Edit: turns out you can play on a Windows 10 desktop/laptop/pad. I'm going to have to try it. Still not quite the same because you still have to use the Xbox gamepad.

Last edited:

Smart glass is just using your phone or tablet as a remote control for your Xbox.

For streaming, you have to have Windows 10 and use your Xbox controller, but yeah, I can stream to my laptop, desktop, and tablet. Windows 10 phones work too, but I don't have one of those. Like my Vita, it's good for kicking back and grinding an RPG or something, but there is a bit too much lag to play anything competitive and not get your ass beat.

I really should use my 3DS more. Very good system. Although I just have Pokemon and Fire Emblem (freaking awesome. Seriously give it a shot if you haven't.) on it. Ive heard of plenty of good games for it.

I got Tri Force Heroes last month and I want to get the new Mario & Luigi game soon. These would be the first 3DS games I've gotten in about a year and a half.

As far as the Vita, it's a shame that it's going to end up worse than the PSP, because it's a nice system. But it's probably been 2 years since I got a game for it. The only time I use it anymore is to play some of the PS Classics and PSP games I downloaded for it. Sony is basically not supporting it anymore because they have no new games slated and other than JRPGs not much is coming out.

I've always been a fan of the nintendo handhelds.

Have owned game boy color, advance, and DS during their heydays. Didn't get much use out of the DS, wasn't much of fan of the stylus.

Favorite games/franchises: Pokemon, Golden Sun, Zelda, Advance Wars, Castlevania.

Considering buying a 3ds even though I didn't like the standard DS.

Have owned game boy color, advance, and DS during their heydays. Didn't get much use out of the DS, wasn't much of fan of the stylus.

Favorite games/franchises: Pokemon, Golden Sun, Zelda, Advance Wars, Castlevania.

Just wait. It's Nintendo, they'll have a new one alongside the NX this year or next. I wish they'd slow down on the minute hardware upgrades every year or two.

Also, have you played Castlevania Harmony of Despair on Xbox 360 or PS3? I'm not ashamed to admit I put over 200 hours into that $15 title.

I got Tri Force Heroes last month and I want to get the new Mario & Luigi game soon. These would be the first 3DS games I've gotten in about a year and a half.

As far as the Vita, it's a shame that it's going to end up worse than the PSP, because it's a nice system. But it's probably been 2 years since I got a game for it. The only time I use it anymore is to play some of the PS Classics and PSP games I downloaded for it. Sony is basically not supporting it anymore because they have no new games slated and other than JRPGs not much is coming out.

The Vita has some great JRPGs. Persona 4 Golden is worth buying the system for, imo.

The Vita has some great JRPGs. Persona 4 Golden is worth buying the system for, imo.

It's also great for the indie stuff. Games like Shovel Knight, Axiom Verge, Super Stardust Delta, Bastion, Freedom Wars, Machinarium, Guacamelee, Hotline Miami, etc are all fantastic games on Vita.

Never heard of it until now, I'll check it out for 360. Thanks!

It is a 6 player co-op time attack on a boss in 6 different variations of Dracula's castle. It's meant to be played over and over again, on the hard difficulty, to unlock rare gear. You can play as Alucard, Soma, Jonathan, Simon, Richter, Maria, etc. and there are some DLC levels that are worth getting for the loot (one is the complete Castlevania 1 NES castle, including all of the bosses). I'm not sure if the online community is still going or if Konami still has servers up for it, but damn that was a great summer trying to finally get that last piece of "Retro Gear" from NES Dracula.

I want to play Pesona 4 Golden badly but I just can't see myself buying a system for it. Vita isn't very well supported. But the obscure JRPGs sound tempting. Lol

I say get it, Pokemon X and Y are pretty good. And Advance Wars was a strategy game right? Fire Emblem Awakening is a really good Tatical RPG game. Like, one of the best games I've ever played good. But I supposed you need to like Tatical strategy games

I want to play Pesona 4 Golden badly but I just can't see myself buying a system for it. Vita isn't very well supported. But the obscure JRPGs sound tempting. Lol

It's mostly supported by the indie scene now, which is not a bad thing as there are a lot of great indie titles that lend themselves well to the hand held market. Vita also has a pretty great back catalogue of titles if you're just getting into it. Some have already been mentioned but there are truly some great games on the little handheld. Even though Sony isn't developing much of anything new on the system, I wouldn't consider it a bad investment considering the catalogue...

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Killzone: Mercenary
Advance Wars
Little Big Planet
Mod Nation Racers
Persona 4
Borderlands
Minecraft
Child of Light
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Pixlejunk Monsters
Mortal Kombat
Sound Shapes
Tearaway

and tons more.

If you have a PS4 and PS3, there are a lot of cross-buy games too. It isn't supported much with triple A titles, but I've never cared to play those types of games on handhelds. They've always been best for RPGs, and in this case, JRPGs. Not to mention damn near every PS1 RPG is like $5 and works on it. And it can be used as a second screen for your PS4.

It's mostly supported by the indie scene now, which is not a bad thing as there are a lot of great indie titles that lend themselves well to the hand held market. Vita also has a pretty great back catalogue of titles if you're just getting into it. Some have already been mentioned but there are truly some great games on the little handheld. Even though Sony isn't developing much of anything new on the system, I wouldn't consider it a bad investment considering the catalogue...

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Killzone: Mercenary
Advance Wars
Little Big Planet
Mod Nation Racers
Persona 4
Borderlands
Minecraft
Child of Light
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Pixlejunk Monsters
Mortal Kombat
Sound Shapes
Tearaway

and tons more.

It's definitely not a bad pickup if you're just getting into it, because the back catalog has a lot (if you can find them at this point).

It's definitely not a bad pickup if you're just getting into it, because the back catalog has a lot (if you can find them at this point).

Yeah, I mean you find them all fairly easy through Amazon. Plus they're all available digitally through the store, which is how I'd want my games on a handheld anyway.

VN Store

Back