End of 2015: digital or physical?

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
How many of each time of game do own? Recently are you buying more digital or physical games?

I started out buying physical: probably the first six or eight games I bought. But after that I've been all digital. I really dont like having to keep up with and load discs every time I want to play a particular game.

How many of each time of game do own? Recently are you buying more digital or physical games?

I started out buying physical: probably the first six or eight games I bought. But after that I've been all digital. I really dont like having to keep up with and load discs every time I want to play a particular game.

Same here. I never thought I'd ever do digital, because I love having those cases on my game shelf. But, like you said, keeping up with changing game discs and Blu Rays is a (minor) nuisance. I'm kind of ashamed to be that way, but the 5 TB hard drive on my Xbox One takes up much less space and is just far more convenient.

I currently have 14 physical Xbox One games and 13 digital. Outside of Dark Souls 3, I doubt I buy many more physical copies unless the price is unbeatable.

I have 2 physical and 1 digital on PS4.

Last edited:
It's all about where the sales are. If gamestop is having a good sale, I'll buy a physical copy.

If the Xbox or PSN stores have a good/better sale.. Then I'm going digital.

Will never go digital since Bestbuy Gamers Club Unlocked gives you 20% off on all new games. I only purchase digital when there is a good sale.

I've almost gone completely digital. I'm just tired of accumulating physical collections and having to make room for it all. I'm also tired of switching out disks. Yeah yeah, I know it's lazy. However once the TV remote was invented, pretty much no one got up and walked over to their TV's to switch channels anymore either. The ease and seamlessness of getting in and out of games and starting new ones almost instantly is just too appealing.

Last edited:
I own all physical. I like the convenience of digital, but I also like the option of selling games that I no longer play. That's the deciding factor for me. I know it's a terrible investment to buy and trade at GameStop but if I no longer play it, it's kind of useless to have the game when you could get a discount on a newer game.

I still buy physical when I can, mostly because I don't usually keep games, I trade them in for credit. I'll make exceptions when the digital price for a game is super low.

Obviously for games that are digital only like XBLA, PSN, and eShop/Virtual Console games I'll get digital but the main Xbox One/PS4/Wii U games, I still get physical.

Reactions: 1 person
All physical but if I ever have to get an external hard drive for the xb1 I'll probably look into digital if there's a good price. I occasionally like trading in old games.

I only go digital if it's a rock solid title that I won't resell... like Skyrim, NHL, or the Witcher 3 for example.

Prefer physical because the game remains wholly in my possession.

I only go digital if it's a rock solid title that I won't resell... like Skyrim, NHL, or the Witcher 3 for example.

Prefer physical because the game remains wholly in my possession.

Same here.

I also will buy digital for games that I had owned in the past and traded in but still like, and usually the digital price is $20 or under.

For example, since I like most zombie games, I bought the digital copies of the Dead Rising, Left 4 Dead, and several Resident Evil games because I don't mind having them in my permanent collection.

Physical. I think I've maybe bought one digital game, maybe.

You guys who trade physical games should really look at throwing them on eBay or craigslist. It's a little more work but you'll get 50 to 100 percent more money back than trading to Gamestop.

Physical just so I can trade them in for newer games. Like it was said above I know it's a terrible investment but if I don't play it anymore what does it hurt

Physical. I bough project cars via digital and I didn't like the game. Useless to me now.

You guys who trade physical games should really look at throwing them on eBay or craigslist. It's a little more work but you'll get 50 to 100 percent more money back than trading to Gamestop.

Definitely. GameStop gives about $1.25 for Assassin's Creed Black Flag. I got $10 for it on eBay.

Physical. I bough project cars via digital and I didn't like the game. Useless to me now.

If I get digital, I make sure it is a for-damn-sure winner. Fallout, Witcher, Dark Souls, etc. I wouldn't take a chance on Project Cars physical lol

I mostly play PC so alnost all my games are digital. My ps4 games the few I have are physical though.

Generally physical for console games unless there's a good deal. I have a digital copy of Witcher 3.

100% digital. I don't buy a whole lot of games (FIFA and COD every year, Halo and GTA when they make new ones) so I like that I'm able to pre-install them and play them the second I power up my console on release day rather than waiting for hours while a massive portion of the disc based game installs.

physical, since that's where I've found deals so far. also, I like having the opportunity to sell a game.

Granted, sports games go down in value fast, so I might buy digital versions of those in the future.

I mostly play PC so alnost all my games are digital. My ps4 games the few I have are physical though.

For console I buy physical only unless it is dirt cheap. I game PC primarily and have a Steam Library I will never be able to actually complete all of thanks to Steam Sales, GOG deals, Humble Bundles, etc. I keep busy enough on PC that by the time I actually go to grab a console game, I can usually grab it for $10-20. I did pay full price for Mass Effect 3, and pre-ordered. Seeing the way things have gone with pre-ordering(competing bonuses) and DLC(Day 1), I am not sure I would do that again.

For console I buy physical only unless it is dirt cheap. I game PC primarily and have a Steam Library I will never be able to actually complete all of thanks to Steam Sales, GOG deals, Humble Bundles, etc. I keep busy enough on PC that by the time I actually go to grab a console game, I can usually grab it for $10-20. I did pay full price for Mass Effect 3, and pre-ordered. Seeing the way things have gone with pre-ordering(competing bonuses) and DLC(Day 1), I am not sure I would do that again.

You're not kidding on the sales and getting games. I don't have many Steam games, but there are about 10 Xbox Live Arcade games I own on my 360 alone that I got because they were $5 or less like Alan Wake: American Nightmare, Shadow Complex, Castle Crashers, Limbo, and others that I've barely played. A few I haven't touched in 3-4 years. I keep meaning to go back and play them but something new keeps coming out before I get a chance.

One of these days I'm going to have to make myself play games I have before I start buying new ones.

VN Store

Back