FIFA 16 (Out today 9/22)

Think I'm going to pick this up on the way home from work today.

I stuck with 14 instead of getting 15, but I can't take teammates running into my dribbling path anymore. I'm guessing they fixed that this year?

Think I'm going to pick this up on the way home from work today.

I stuck with 14 instead of getting 15, but I can't take teammates running into my dribbling path anymore. I'm guessing they fixed that this year?

It's happened to me once, but I think it was my fault because I was being a skill move ball hog lol

It's happened to me once, but I think it was my fault because I was being a skill move ball hog lol

Lol drove me up the wall. Skill move and get by a guy. Clear path to the goal, and a teammate crosses my path and takes the ball from my feet and gets an offside.

I picked this up yesterday, and I'm not a huge fan yet. Each year it does take some time for me to pick up the new and different gameplay features to this series. Thus far I've found that defense against human opponents is significantly more difficult than FIFA 15. It's going to take me some serious time to get used to the new defensive controls. I got thrashed yesterday.

Also, the R1+X (PS4) Rocket Pass is going to be a weapon when trying to pass into the box from the wing. It'll take some time to get used to that combination not being the flick pass option though.

I fear that this will be another FIFA edition where scoring at-will in online matches will be the norm. I just don't see the defending dynamics truly being improved from the previous iteration. It just feels to clumsy right now.

I picked this up yesterday, and I'm not a huge fan yet. Each year it does take some time for me to pick up the new and different gameplay features to this series. Thus far I've found that defense against human opponents is significantly more difficult than FIFA 15. It's going to take me some serious time to get used to the new defensive controls. I got thrashed yesterday.

Also, the R1+X (PS4) Rocket Pass is going to be a weapon when trying to pass into the box from the wing. It'll take some time to get used to that combination not being the flick pass option though.

I fear that this will be another FIFA edition where scoring at-will in online matches will be the norm. I just don't see the defending dynamics truly being improved from the previous iteration. It just feels to clumsy right now.

I'm coming from 14 and missed 15 entirely, so forgive me if I'm speaking out of ignorance, but I think game play for 16 has improved drastically. In 14, if a defender got anywhere close, you were automatically going to get the ball stolen. In this edition, you seem to be able to shield the ball much better with your body (akin to actual soccer). I also like how the sprint speed is reduced to a controlled sprint when there are defenders around the penalty area, so that the ball isn't stolen as easily. So, I think defending is a bit harder, but it better reflects the actual game of soccer, if that makes sense.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm coming from 14 and missed 15 entirely, so forgive me if I'm speaking out of ignorance, but I think game play for 16 has improved drastically. In 14, if a defender got anywhere close, you were automatically going to get the ball stolen. In this edition, you seem to be able to shield the ball much better with your body (akin to actual soccer). I also like how the sprint speed is reduced to a controlled sprint when there are defenders around the penalty area, so that the ball isn't stolen as easily. So, I think defending is a bit harder, but it better reflects the actual game of soccer, if that makes sense.

15 defending was significantly better than 14 in that regards as well. Shielding is even better and more useful now, which is definitely a plus. Now, players with great ball control are actually useful in this years version unlike its previous iterations, and I like that a lot. I think that goes hand in hand with the the "speed nerf."

Also, for the first time in this series history, I think EA may have finally figured out crossing. It's been one aspect of this game that had been seriously inconsistent from previous versions.

I'm not down on this game, at all. I just think the ball control/shielding dynamics in addition with the added difficulty in defending will lead to high scoring online games. This may diminish as players adapt to defending as the series moves on.

Just from my limited playing last night, the game felt much faster than last years version, which led to many more goals being scored in games. That aspect did seem to depart from the realistic feel that the designers were shooting for. The offline games are excellent with the playing speed and realism however.

15 defending was significantly better than 14 in that regards as well. Shielding is even better and more useful now, which is definitely a plus. Now, players with great ball control are actually useful in this years version unlike its previous iterations, and I like that a lot. I think that goes hand in hand with the the "speed nerf."

Also, for the first time in this series history, I think EA may have finally figured out crossing. It's been one aspect of this game that had been seriously inconsistent from previous versions.

I'm not down on this game, at all. I just think the ball control/shielding dynamics in addition with the added difficulty in defending will lead to high scoring online games. This may diminish as players adapt to defending as the series moves on.

Just from my limited playing last night, the game felt much faster than last years version, which led to many more goals being scored in games. That aspect did seem to depart from the realistic feel that the designers were shooting for. The offline games are excellent with the playing speed and realism however.

What speed do you play on? I play on slow speed with 10-15 minute halves and I feel the game is far more realistic than in years past.

What speed do you play on? I play on slow speed with 10-15 minute halves and I feel the game is far more realistic than in years past.

I was playing Online Seasons last night. The speed in offline is awesome. The online competitive play seemed to be fast, at least I thought so.

It's harder to aggressively take the ball from the opponent, making that aspect more difficult. On the other hand they nerfed down pace to avoid a nonstop session of through balls.

While they may have made it more difficult to seemingly run up and steal the ball, they also made it more difficult to attack due to the nerfed down attacker speed.

They are clearly aiming for a more ball control and midfield oriented game, where players are forced to scheme their way past the opposition, as well as defensively.

To summarize, less left bumper triangle/Y with a good dose of right trigger, and more conservative thinking and one two passes.

That's what they are attempting at least.
Dribbling and passing attributes much more useful than in years past.

Yep, so much better than last year. No more ping pong soccer. Online cheesers are going to be pissed.

The NHL group eliminated lots of BS too, glad as a whole they've listened to the (generally) silent majority.

I really hate that these games release back to back, love both but can't justify buying both simply due to time.

Reactions: 1 person
Defenses intercept the ball much easier than before. If you pass the ball and your not 100% sure that the ball is going to your player or that your just hoping it reaches your player, it's going to get intercepted.

Defenses intercept the ball much easier than before. If you pass the ball and your not 100% sure that the ball is going to your player or that your just hoping it reaches your player, it's going to get intercepted.

In a stupid way though. Your players show no urgency to come to the ball, letting the CPU just cut in front of them. It's brutal.

What's the most fun mode for a beginner to both the game and soccer in general?

What's the most fun mode for a beginner to both the game and soccer in general?

A lot of people really like doing be FIFA Ultimate Team. That's pretty fun, get to earn money to build your own team, you can get the feeling of different formations, etc.

For a beginner I wouldn't quite recommend Career Manager mode, but the Career Player mode would be a great way to learn soccer and the game. You have the option to just play as your player throughout the game (3rd person point of view) or you can play as the entire team.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I'd probably do Career Player Mode. It's the least in-depth in terms of managing teams, scouting, transfers, etc. Plus you get to dabble with learning positioning and teamwork in the framework of soccer by playing as solely your player during matches.

A lot of people really like doing be FIFA Ultimate Team. That's pretty fun, get to earn money to build your own team, you can get the feeling of different formations, etc.

For a beginner I wouldn't quite recommend Career Manager mode, but the Career Player mode would be a great way to learn soccer and the game. You have the option to just play as your player throughout the game (3rd person point of view) or you can play as the entire team.

If I had to recommend one over the other, I'd probably do Career Player Mode. It's the least in-depth in terms of managing teams, scouting, transfers, etc. Plus you get to dabble with learning positioning and teamwork in the framework of soccer by playing as solely your player during matches.

Thanks for the well thought out post!

It's definitely a lot of fun. The mini-game skills progression is a nice add too. Helps learning different aspects of the game. What position are you playing?

It's definitely a lot of fun. The mini-game skills progression is a nice add too. Helps learning different aspects of the game. What position are you playing?

Striker. He's kind of a freak. I made him my height(6'5"), bigger than anyone else on my team.

VN Store

Back