Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (X1 & PS4)

G0 BIG 0RANGE

So I've been playing this "HD" version of the Japanese PSP game and I have to admit, it isn't bad.

The battle system, while not turn-based, is pretty fun once you grasp the clunky handheld-intended controls.

The graphics are hardly HD, but I've always put visuals at the bottom of my list, so that doesn't bother me.

The story is convoluted as hell, but that is to be expected from SquareEnix from time to time. So far it feels like a mixture of FF7 Crisis Core (combat system), FF8 (badass student soldiers sent to war), FF6 (Magitek Armor and Magicite), and FF13 (l'cie).

The music is a mixture of old Final Fantasy tunes.

Anyways, I'm a few hours into it and have met a Moogle named Hatzkhaminei Lowtoyosna Eripulci. The game description says, "Officially known as the Military Operation Organization/Guidance Logistics Expert (or MOOGLE), ze provided crucial support for Class Zero during the liberation of Akademeia. One of the youngest moogles at the school, ze did not belong to a particular group of cadets until Class Zero showed up, at which point the administration selected hir for the job."

I was unaware that UT's administration modeled themselves after a Final Fantasy's school administration :p

Reactions: 1 person
I've thought about getting in on PC but I've heard the port is terrible.

I've thought about getting in on PC but I've heard the port is terrible.

The port of the port? Or the port from PSP to console/PC? Because it isn't perfect by any means, but I enjoyed it. It's worth $25 or so.

Last edited:
I like how you've got 14 characters to build up and fight with. Definitely one of the better ffs in awhile

Bump.

The FF'er in me finally got around to picking this up. I was extremely skeptical in the first 10 minutes or so, I'm about 2 hours in and now I'm really excited for this one. As anti-non-turn-based-FF game as I am, I'm actually having a lot of fun.

Love the classic final fantasy music and open world map with dumbed down graphics. Brings back old memories.

Last edited:
Bump.

The FF'er in me finally got around to picking this up. I was extremely skeptical in the first 10 minutes or so, I'm about 2 hours in and now I'm really excited for this one. As anti-non-turn-based-FF game as I am, I'm actually having a lot of fun.

Love the classic final fantasy music and open world map with dumbed down graphics. Brings back old memories.

Same here. It's the only new FF I've enjoyed since 12. I think there was enough fan service for me to overlook the non-turn-based combat. It fought a lot like Crisis Core, which I also loved. The story was nonsensical, but the variety of character/jobs and that music, like you said, is very nostalgic. A second play through added more to the story, and made it that much better.

Question for GB0

Will I get to fly the airship around the open map at some point (like you could in the classics), or will it always just kind of be a "pick your location on the map and you fast-travel" kind of deal?

Last edited:
Question for GBO

Will I get to fly the airship around the open map at some point (like you could in the classics), or will it always just kind of be a "pick your location on the map and you fast-travel" kind of deal?

The Akademia airship is fast travel only. You can get an airship to actually fly in the game, but you have to get it before chapter 7, if I recall correctly, and there are some steps you may want to YouTube. If you've played the older games in the series, you'll appreciate its name 😬

The Akademia airship is fast travel only. You can get an airship to actually fly in the game, but you have to get it before chapter 7, if I recall correctly, and there are some steps you may want to YouTube. If you've played the older games in the series, you'll appreciate its name 😬

Wow I totally would have missed that. Glad I asked. Thanks for the heads up.

VN Store

Back