Microsoft announces VR partnership wit Oculus Rift+

Brave Volunteer

Now, before any of you Xbox One owners get too excited, Microsoft confirmed that at this point the functionality is only streaming titles to the Rift through a PC as a viewing device and not actually using the Xbox One hardware to make VR titles. Whether that'll change in the future is up in the air.

Microsoft Announces VR Parnership With Oculus Rift - MP1st

Last edited:
That's great news. Oculus Rift is an established name in VR. Very immersive potential with all of these upcoming gadgets.

It seems to me that PCs have enough trouble getting VR to work smoothly. I don't think consoles are quite there yet. Won't be long though. Kids will be nose deep in a headset instead of glued to a TV screen

Reactions: 1 person
It seems to me that PCs have enough trouble getting VR to work smoothly. I don't think consoles are quite there yet. Won't be long though. Kids will be nose deep in a headset instead of glued to a TV screen

I can't help but think there's something potentially dark and dystopian about VR. Like, we already have enough reasons NOT to leave our house as it is. I keep thinking that VR will only magnify that. I wonder how long it will be before we hear of the first person who dies of dehydration and malnutrition because they couldn't leave the virtual world?

That looks fantastic. I want one.

I wonder what it will cost and if it will be compatible with Xbox One along with Windows 10?

If I can stretch my Netflix to the size of my wall, that'd ease the pain of purchasing a larger television.

I wonder what it will cost and if it will be compatible with Xbox One along with Windows 10?

If I can stretch my Netflix to the size of my wall, that'd ease the pain of purchasing a larger television.

No idea, but after watching that video, I realized there are a ton of possibilities for this technology.

Yup, the industry seems poised for a paradigm shift. The keyboard, mouse, and monitor are all about to become obsolete and the way we interact with and use computers will evolve into something completely new. Exciting times!

Last edited:
No idea, but after watching that video, I realized there are a ton of possibilities for this technology.

That's provided that it works as advertised. Color me skeptical but after the bull**** scripted demonstration that MS put on with the original Kinect (remember the "Milo" demonstration?) and what we actually ended up with, I'm not so ready to just believe this tech will work this seamless.

That's provided that it works as advertised. Color me skeptical but after the bull**** scripted demonstration that MS put on with the original Kinect (remember the "Milo" demonstration?) and what we actually ended up with, I'm not so ready to just believe this tech will work this seamless.

The consumer grade tech won't be there for a while yet, but those with very deep pockets or the gov could probably have something of this level soon.

ALSO, that was the coolest damn thing I might have ever seen. So awesome.

Anyone have experience using one of these yet? Thought it used to be like 200 or 250 but now it's 99 bucks it looks like? I didn't know Samsung got involved with it. I saw it a couple-few years and it looked like something fun to try. At 99 bucks, might be worth it. Guess I didn't fully read all of the requirements or what games go for but seeing it as low as 99 bucks, I was curious if anyone has used it before. Been out for a while but I don't know anybody who has one or used one. A lot of people don't even know it's exists probably or don't really care in general about it. I'm still interested though.

$99 is a cheap model by Samsung for their phones. Limited software. You just lay your phone inside. Known to cause headaches for many with any extended use, like most all cheap VR setups.

The real deal Oculus Rift is $599. I don't think HTC has announced a price but it will probably be more since it's got more parts and is a bit more sophisticated.

Order a Google Cardboard kit if you want some cheap VR right now. It's pretty cool. And you can shoot 360 panoramic shots for use with Cardboard.

Last edited:
$99 is a cheap model by Samsung for their phones. Limited software. You just lay your phone inside.

The real deal Oculus Rift is $599. I don't think HTC has announced a price but it will probably be more since it's got more parts and is a bit more sophisticated.

Order a Google Cardboard kit if you want some cheap VR right now. It's pretty cool. And you can shoot 360 panoramic shots for use with Cardboard.

Oh dang, 599? Is that like some way newer/better version? Thought a couple years ago it was around a couple hundred.

So you've used this google cardboard kit, what apps? And if you're saying the price hasn't been announced yet for the legit one, is it because it's a 2nd one or 3rd one that's been upgraded over the years like ps2 to ps3? Or is this the 1st legit one? I guess I never really looked into it too much. I just remember checking their site out a couple years ago or however long ago.

Oculus Rift and Vive (by HTC) are VR systems powered by a computer. Cables running from the headset to the PC, and you need a pretty boss system to handle it. This isn't cheap stuff now. And, neither have actually launched. Oculus has had dev kits that were $300ish, I think, but the real deal consumer version launches in a couple months.

Oculus is just a headset. Vive requires a couple sensors in the corners of the room and is a bit more precise. It should cost more, but who knows. They want to compete.

The Samsung thing is sort of a scaled back cheap version. It works, and there's some software by the Oculus team, but it's not the same thing.

Google Cardboard - There's a few video apps that are cool. I took a bunch of 360 panoramic shots on vacation and those are cool to show people and see. I thought it was neat for $15 bucks or so, but that's it. I'm not watching youtube videos or netflix on the thing.

Friends have tried with the Samsung version for your phone. They typically complain of headches and nausea. The better versions have better screens that are tuned to ideal measurements.

One of the hardest parts with VR so far has been people getting sick and headaches. Taken years to fine tune and find out what refresh works, etc.

Hope that helps clear things up a bit.

Oculus Rift and Vive (by HTC) are VR systems powered by a computer. Cables running from the headset to the PC, and you need a pretty boss system to handle it. This isn't cheap stuff now. And, neither have actually launched. Oculus has had dev kits that were $300ish, I think, but the real deal consumer version launches in a couple months.

Oculus is just a headset. Vive requires a couple sensors in the corners of the room and is a bit more precise. It should cost more, but who knows. They want to compete.

The Samsung thing is sort of a scaled back cheap version. It works, and there's some software by the Oculus team, but it's not the same thing.

Google Cardboard - There's a few video apps that are cool. I took a bunch of 360 panoramic shots on vacation and those are cool to show people and see. I thought it was neat for $15 bucks or so, but that's it. I'm not watching youtube videos or netflix on the thing.

Friends have tried with the Samsung version for your phone. They typically complain of headches and nausea. The better versions have better screens that are tuned to ideal measurements.

One of the hardest parts with VR so far has been people getting sick and headaches. Taken years to fine tune and find out what refresh works, etc.

Great info man.

Sensors in the room, that's some high tech stuff. So can you look full circle and see behind you or is it ranged on how far you turn your head? After watching that firefox-esque jet looking video on their site just now, would be cool if you can sit in a computer chair and spin full circle to maneuver and to turn around. If you're on a race track, you just turn your chair around and start driving backwards into traffic head on. That would be quite the experience lol. The day they reach that level of play and make it possible with GTA will be a life changing day :). Maybe it that's more possible than I know at this stage but it seems like it would be a stage way down the line, right? They won't be able to make games as deep as GTA or Skyrim when it's released, will they?

And so it appears it's being released on march 28th?

http://www.roadtovr.com/eve-valkyrie-alpha-begins-month-sign-ups-still-open/

If you’ve pre-ordered an Oculus Rift, you’ll be getting the highly polished EVE: Valkyrie in your bundle for free—but don’t think for a second that on launch day on March 28th that the game will be solely populated with first-timers like yourself. If you have a DK2, we strongly suggest you sign up (and quick) because the first wave of alpha testers is set for January 18th.

Oculus Rift release date, price and system requirements: Oculus Rift to ship with 4 month Unity Pro subscription | IT PRO

'Oculus Touch' motion control system delayed till second half of 2016
Pre-orders available now, priced at $599.99 (£410)
First headsets expected to ship in March

Oculus Rift price: Headset and computers that can run it start at $1499 | News | Lifestyle | The Independent

Oculus has revealed the first pricing for PCs that have the huge amount of computing power to run its Rift virtual reality headset.

Bundles that contain both the PC and the Rift headset itself begin at $1499 with pre-order pricing. The computers are made by a range of manufacturers but all have the power required to run the VR software.

Oculus announced last month that its Rift headset would cost $600. That shocked many and led to the company apologising for not making more clear how much it would be.

But the $1500 is in line with previous estimates of the cost. The company had made clear in advance that the cost of all of the equipment required to run the headset would be $1500.

The newly-announced bundles come with the PC itself, as well as everything that comes with the Rift headset. That includes sensors, a remote, an Xbox One controller for interacting with games and two pieces of software for playing within the headset.

The pre-orders will open on 16 February, in what Oculus says are “limited quantities”. They will start shipping from April.

Why you shouldn?t pre-order an Oculus Rift | ExtremeTech

Headaches and nausea will continue to be a problem with VR until the technology is able to output images at something like 8K resolution per eye at 120 FPS.

I love the potential of VR, but I feel like it is hitting the mainstream 10 years too soon. Best case scenario is that it creates a strong niche and survives until the technology is there to really harness its potential.

Was the issue with Active 3d tech as well; one of the reasons 3d never caught on in the mainstream.

VN Store

Back