There is a trend in video gaming right now that needs to stop!

Brave Volunteer

And that is the trend of developers/publishers unveiling their games in an unrealistic manner that have absolutely no hope of the final product looking that way.

Let's take the most recent example of The Witcher 3. Let me start off by saying that I think despite any perceived visual downgrades that have happened to the game in development, it's still a gorgeous looking game and I have no issues with the way it looks whatsoever. Having said that, the game's visuals did fall well short of the original footage that was shown back in 2013. Another good example is UbiSoft's "Watch Dogs." That game fell WAY short of what was shown to us in the original trailer.

In my opinion, these tactics should be illegal. To me it falls under the category of "bait and switch," which IS supposed to be illegal according to the Better Business Bureau.

When unveiling a title, developers need to do one of two things...

A.) Make it crystal clear that what they are showing is a "vertical slice" of a target render and not the actual game and may not accurately represent the final product, also they need to state specifically what kind of hardware it's running on and not in microscopic print at the bottom that no one can read.

Or...

B.) Not show the game all until it's far enough along in development to where it gives gamers a fair and accurate idea of what the final game will actually look like.

Until this happens fellow gamers, we're being deceived and lied to! I don't know about you but that pisses me off! Developers and publisher are undermining our trust with these kinds of underhanded promotional tactics and it needs to stop!

Bungie and Activison pulled a fast one on everyone with Destiny. And yeah, it sucks.

I agree. I do still think witcher 3 looks awesome though. Watch dogs on the other hand, was a complete let down.

I liked Watch Dogs, I mean they definitely lied about the visuals. It's part our fault though for thinking things will look that good. Then we hype the **** out of these games and they can never meet the consumer expectations.

I liked Watch Dogs, I mean they definitely lied about the visuals. It's part our fault though for thinking things will look that good. Then we hype the **** out of these games and they can never meet the consumer expectations.

It's flat out deception. I don't think it's our fault at all. Watch Dogs was an alright game but like you said, the game wound up looking much worse than the initial 2012 trailers...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtzNBLYOog8[/youtube]

Even on PC with ultra settings it fell short of the original trailer..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk[/youtube]

I got watch dogs after it dropped in price to 30 bucks because I wasn't very sure about it. Well by then I had already played the ps4 version of GTA V and everything I did on watch dogs just felt crappy compared to that. Even graphics didn't seem as good. You're so limited on things you can do and I just found it hard to get into.

It's flat out deception. I don't think it's our fault at all. Watch Dogs was an alright game but like you said, the game wound up looking much worse than the initial 2012 trailers...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtzNBLYOog8[/youtube]

Even on PC with ultra settings it fell short of the original trailer..

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk[/youtube]

Its our fault for hyping games up so much.

Reactions: 1 person
Its our fault for hyping games up so much.

Yeah but our hype is based on what we are shown. That's NOT our fault.

I remember when EA starting airing the Battlefield 4 commercials and how amazing it looked. Turns out that footage was running on ultra high PC specs that 99% of gamers didn't have. It's just dishonest kwebb. If they want to show their game in the best possible light that's fine. However they need to properly communicate to gamers exactly what specs the game is running on while we're looking at it. Those Battlefield 4 commercials insinuated that the game looked like that across all platforms because at the end it showed the boxes for all 3 versions.

I must be in the minority here. Amazing graphics are near the bottom of my requirements for video game enjoyment.

I agree, however, that they shouldn't blow sunshine up your ass. Just be straight up with what your game is capable of.

I must be in the minority here. Amazing graphics are near the bottom of my requirements for video game enjoyment.

I agree, however, that they shouldn't blow sunshine up your ass. Just be straight up with what your game is capable of.

Then why not just stick with the old 8-bit NES system. :)

I admit though I am a graphics nut. To me graphics and gameplay go hand in hand because the better the graphics, the better the immersion.

Part of the problem is many times they show cutscenes as gameplay; Madden does that crap every year.

I admit though I am a graphics nut. To me graphics and gameplay go hand in hand because the better the graphics, the better the immersion.

I appreciate the advanced graphics of the new systems, I just meant some of the prettiest games I've played have been mediocre or boring as hell. And some of my favorites haven't been all that great visually.

Pretty only gets you so far. Can't mask poor or dumbed down game mechanics with shiny visuals and expect me to accept it (Destiny).

The fact that I'd take SNES Final Fantasy 3 all damn day over Final Fantasy 13, is probably one of the more recent examples of gameplay, characters, and story trumping visuals.

I can agree with the immersion thing with graphics, but I get more immersed in Red Dead, BioShock, and Dark Souls far more than I can in many gorgeous games on the current generation consoles. Not being a graphics whore is actually relieving, it gives me a much larger selection of things to enjoy haha

I can agree with the immersion thing with graphics, but I get more immersed in Red Dead, BioShock, and Dark Souls far more than I can in many gorgeous games on the current generation consoles. Not being a graphics whore is actually relieving, it gives me a much larger selection of things to enjoy haha

I'm glad it isn't just me. Graphical fidelity is pretty far down the list in terms of what makes a game enjoyable to me.

Of course I still have fun playing Civ 2 and Railroad Tycoon 2 on Steam and those games are a decade old- at least.

I'm glad it isn't just me. Graphical fidelity is pretty far down the list in terms of what makes a game enjoyable to me.

Of course I still have fun playing Civ 2 and Railroad Tycoon 2 on Steam and those games are a decade old- at least.

I hear you. I recently introduced my seniors to the NES and they couldn't get enough of Mike Tyson, Contra, Mario 3, Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, and Final Fantasy. Their minds were blown to find out that generic Tecmo Bowl was infinitely more entertaining than the recent Madden or that MT's Punch Out had them hooked more than the latest EA UFC game.

If you pay attention to a video games uveiling, and gameplay reveals more specifically, you'll find that they'll say, "alpha footage", "pre-rendered" or "pc rendered". Those are tail tail signs that it will not look the same with the final product.

If you pay attention to a video games uveiling, and gameplay reveals more specifically, you'll find that they'll say, "alpha footage", "pre-rendered" or "pc rendered". Those are tail tail signs that it will not look the same with the final product.

Yep, I'm more interested in the actual title than any so called footage they show.

I hear you. I recently introduced my seniors to the NES and they couldn't get enough of Mike Tyson, Contra, Mario 3, Zelda, Tecmo Bowl, and Final Fantasy. Their minds were blown to find out that generic Tecmo Bowl was infinitely more entertaining than the recent Madden or that MT's Punch Out had them hooked more than the latest EA UFC game.

Oh man some great games there. Did you show them the Contra code??? 😄

Oh man some great games there. Did you show them the Contra code??? 😄

Haha not at first. Two of the guys did manage to get to the third level on Contra with the base number of lives before I gave the code to them.

Also, I had forgotten that Willie Gault was in Tecmo Bowl. I had to explain to them who he was >_<

Haha not at first. Two of the guys did manage to get to the third level on Contra with the base number of lives before I gave the code to them.

Also, I had forgotten that Willie Gault was in Tecmo Bowl. I had to explain to them who he was >_<

The L.A. Raiders with Bo Jackson was unstoppable! I LOVED that game back in the day!

If I remember right, Tony Dorsett and the Dallas Cowboys were pretty good too. So were Roger Craig and the 49'ers. You could pretty much win with ease with any of those teams.

49ers had Rice and Montana too. Only 1 run play for Craig, but yeah they were good too haha

VN Store

Back