Final Fantasy XV (PS4, X1, PC)

Brave Volunteer

Huge fan of Final Fantasy here since 3 on SNES and have enjoyed them all up to but not including the 13 trilogy. However this one looks incredible. It looks like it's taking a more open world/action point of view but that's OK. I think this game looks epic as hell! Cannot wait!

Edit: I thought this was also coming to PC but it hasn't been announced for anything other than PS4/X1

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny69S-GWcU8[/youtube]

Last edited:
Gotta love Square Enix and their androgynous characters. I hope this doesn't suck, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

10-2, 11, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 were all pretty awful Final Fantasy titles that might have been good RPGs under another name.

I'm more excited about FF7 being re-released for PS4 haha, but I will pick this up for my One if it turns out good.

Gotta love Square Enix and their androgynous characters. I hope this doesn't suck, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

10-2, 11, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 were all pretty awful Final Fantasy titles that might have been good RPGs under another name.

I'm more excited about FF7 being re-released for PS4 haha, but I will pick this up for my One if it turns out good.

Do you have a PS4? I tried out the free trial of FF14: A Realm Reborn and it's fantastic! I just don't want to pay a monthly subscription to play it.

Do you have a PS4? I tried out the free trial of FF14: A Realm Reborn and it's fantastic! I just don't want to pay a monthly subscription to play it.

Yeah, I do. That's why I left 14 off of the list of awful ones. It is the only game I own for my PS4, but I also got tired of paying the subscription. It was a solid MMO. Now I'm just waiting for FF7 and Bloodborne so I can plug it back up.

I liked them through 12. 13 was just meh. Although they were strongest prior to 10.

Honestly I wish someone would just do a classic rpg with swords/axes/spells/ect like before. I'd be fine with an Excalibur, Lit 3, and some reflect magic

I liked them through 12. 13 was just meh. Although they were strongest prior to 10.

Honestly I wish someone would just do a classic rpg with swords/axes/spells/ect like before. I'd be fine with an Excalibur, Lit 3, and some reflect magic

I hated 12 at launch, but recently played it again and really enjoyed its gameplay. It was just too far ahead of its time, it felt like a single player MMO instead of the turn based style I loved at the time (and still do). Yeah, Final Hallway 13 had the most convoluted story, unsympathetic characters, and was the most linear game in the series. I agree, give me jobs, reflect, Lit, black mages, etc.

I hated 12 at launch, but recently played it again and really enjoyed its gameplay. It was just too far ahead of its time, it felt like a single player MMO instead of the turn based style I loved at the time (and still do). Yeah, Final Hallway 13 had the most convoluted story, unsympathetic characters, and was the most linear game in the series. I agree, give me jobs, reflect, Lit, black mages, etc.

I know purists will hate me for saying it but I believe the whole turn-based game mechanic needs to go away. The only reason that gameplay style was ever adopted in the first place was because of the limitations of the hardware at the time. I've tolerated it over the years because most of the time the stories and characters in those games were so amazing. However now that I've gotten spoiled with open world, real time action rpg's, I just don't really care to go back to that again and that's partly why I'm extremely excited for FFXV. I remember last gen, I had played games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. Then I played FF13 and man, it just felt like a dinosaur. The graphics were beautiful but you were put on such a linear path with all these last gen turn-based game mechanics and I was completely uninterested after about an hour or two in.

I think the turn based RPG's are still fine for the handheld market but for home console I'd much prefer real time action-oriented game-play.

Last edited:
I know purists will hate me for saying it but I believe the whole turn-based game mechanic needs to go away. The only reason that gameplay style was ever adopted in the first place was because of the limitations of the hardware at the time. I've tolerated it over the years because most of the time the stories and characters in those games were so amazing. However now that I've gotten spoiled with open world, real time action rpg's, I just don't really care to go back to that again and that's partly why I'm extremely excited for FFXV. I remember last gen, I had played games like Oblivion, Skyrim, Dragon Age, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, etc. Then I played FF13 and man, it just felt like a dinosaur. The graphics were beautiful but you were put on such a linear path with all these last gen turn-based game mechanics and I was completely uninterested after about an hour or two in.

I think the turn based RPG's are still fine for the handheld market but for home console I'd much prefer real time action-oriented game-play.

Haha yep, I hate you! But those RPGs you listed are Western RPGs, that's their style - action over strategy! Check out Xcom on 360 or PS3, that's an excellent turn based strategy game. FF13 didn't suck because it was turn based, it sucked because it lacked any strategic elements. It was completely dumbed down (you only controlled one party member). I controlled like 6 in FF Tactics 20 years ago. I think FF13's downfall was it tried to cater to the American audience that has the attention span of a goldfish. The JRPG thrives on handhelds still though, so I'm glad for that. But I'll take the customization and strategy of turn based RPGs like FF7, over press-right-trigger to win RPGs like Skyrim. That's probably why I enjoy the Souls series, it is a Western RPG made by Japanese developers. Except they didn't make a game that you could hack and slash to victory.

Haha yep, I hate you! But those RPGs you listed are Western RPGs, that's their style - action over strategy! Check out Xcom on 360 or PS3, that's an excellent turn based strategy game. FF13 didn't suck because it was turn based, it sucked because it lacked any strategic elements. It was completely dumbed down (you only controlled one party member). I controlled like 6 in FF Tactics 20 years ago. I think FF13's downfall was it tried to cater to the American audience that has the attention span of a goldfish. The JRPG thrives on handhelds still though, so I'm glad for that. But I'll take the customization and strategy of turn based RPGs like FF7, over press-right-trigger to win RPGs like Skyrim. That's probably why I enjoy the Souls series, it is a Western RPG made by Japanese developers. Except they didn't make a game that you could hack and slash to victory.

That's cool man. I totally get the fact that there are millions of traditional JRPG fans out there that love that game mechanic. Like I said, I don't mind that at all on handheld/mobile gaming. However I guess what appeals to me with the more western style RPG's is that they feel more immersive and "real" in the sense that if you're a sword carrying knight and while exploring a cave you're jumped by an evil troll, you're GOING to pull out your sword in real time and start swinging. I mean that's what you would do if it were happening in real life and you wouldn't attack, then wait for him to attack, then you attack, etc. No you'd pull out that sword and start hacking! To me that's more appealing because it's more "realistic." Plus I take issue with people who claim that you can't have a real time action RPG and not have strategic elements. The two elements aren't mutually exclusive. You still have to strategize what weapons/armor to equip your character with, when you to heal yourself, when to use magic to attack or to enchant your weapons/armor or yourself, etc. I don't think the fact that an RPG is real time action-oriented means it has to be completely mindless.

Oh incidentally, some great examples of non-western developed real time RPG's are Demon's Souls and the Dark Souls games. Bloodborne looks absolutely awesome too!

Anyway back on topic, what has me excited about FFXV is that it looks like it's trying to fuse the best fantasy elements of classic JRPG's with some of the western influenced ideas for it's world and game mechanics. I hope it works well because I really want another great Final Fantasy game.

Last edited:
It looks like FF12 or Kingdom Hearts minus the Disney part. Maybe a little Dissidia sprinkled in there. If nothing else, it will be beautiful. They are always above par in that department.

Ever since they merged with Enix and let Sakaguchi and Uematsu go, it hasn't been the same. I've been burned for a decade, but remain cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: 1 person
It looks like FF12 or Kingdom Hearts minus the Disney part. Maybe a little Dissidia sprinkled in there. If nothing else, it will be beautiful. They are always above par in that department.

Ever since they merged with Enix and let Sakaguchi and Uematsu go, it hasn't been the same. I've been burned for a decade, but remain cautiously optimistic.

Now THAT, you and I are in complete agreement on!

Reactions: 1 person

You bite your tongue!!! Turn-based is still the best fighting to this day.

To everyone's point about FF-13, I agree the game was awful..... BUT..... I do think the battle system was one of the best there's been yet. The paradigm shifting was genius. Almost made the game worth playing.

As for XV, I am ecstatic about this game. The only downside is that it is going to take place in the same world as the 13's, and I'm sorry but that world sucks. As said by another poster earlier, I'm ready to be back in the woods casting summon spells in my medieval time period.

Does anyone know anything about FF Type-O HD coming out for PS4? Should I be looking forward to this?

Turn based combat can still be valid in this day and age - developers just need to get creative and make in more engaging.

Anyone every played Xenogears back in the day for the PS1? It's a great example of turn based combat that's fun. As each character levels up, you unlock more advanced and stronger combat moves that require executing a button combination to use (think Mortal Kombat Finishing moves).

The more powerful the move, the more complex the button combo. So there's a real risk/reward feature that adds a strategic layer to the bland back and forth hacking and slashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL-_0Yo4ZMQ

You bite your tongue!!! Turn-based is still the best fighting to this day.

To everyone's point about FF-13, I agree the game was awful..... BUT..... I do think the battle system was one of the best there's been yet. The paradigm shifting was genius. Almost made the game worth playing.

As for XV, I am ecstatic about this game. The only downside is that it is going to take place in the same world as the 13's, and I'm sorry but that world sucks. As said by another poster earlier, I'm ready to be back in the woods casting summon spells in my medieval time period.

Does anyone know anything about FF Type-O HD coming out for PS4? Should I be looking forward to this?

I'd have enjoyed 13 battle system more if it allowed me to choose what the other two characters were going to do each move. Paradigm let me choose their job, but it was left up to the AI to make the decisions. Also didn't care for the stagger as that is all you had to do to defeat something, every enemy could be cheesed. Now Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon from 7 were nearly impossible haha

If 15 is set in 13's world, I'm out. If I hear Fal'Cei or La'Cei one more time, I'm punching someone.

Type O was a PSP game in Japan a few years back. It reminds me of Final Fantasy 7: Crisis Core, where you played Zack. Not sure how good it is

Turn based combat can still be valid in this day and age - developers just need to get creative and make in more engaging.

Anyone every played Xenogears back in the day for the PS1? It's a great example of turn based combat that's fun. As each character levels up, you unlock more advanced and stronger combat moves that require executing a button combination to use (think Mortal Kombat Finishing moves).

The more powerful the move, the more complex the button combo. So there's a real risk/reward feature that adds a strategic layer to the bland back and forth hacking and slashing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL-_0Yo4ZMQ

Xenogears was great! So was Vagrant Story and Suikoden 1 & 2. And Chrono Trigger. The list goes on and on for turn based RPGs!

Have you played the other Xeno games? Xenoblade for Wii U is coming to the New 3DS in April.

I haven't, but I think Xenogears is the most underrated RPG of all time. Such a huge game with huge ideas for its time. I never finished it

I haven't, but I think Xenogears is the most underrated RPG of all time. Such a huge game with huge ideas for its time. I never finished it

It was very underrated. And it was huge with all sorts of controversial ideas. Worth $10 on the PSN.

Personally I would give that honor to Suikoden 2 or Panzer Dragoon Saga but yeah Xenogears was fantastic!

Buddy of mine bought Type-O and gave me the code for the XV demo. Only played for a few minutes, just did the battle tutorial.

The battle system is....... going to take some getting used to.

VN Store

Back