Nintendo New 3DS and PS Vita

G0 BIG 0RANGE

Does anyone else own these handhelds?

I just picked up my New 3DS with Monster Hunter 4 and Majora's Mask.

If you're into classic 80s and 90s era RPGs, handhelds are about the only way to go now these days.

It's a shame that the Vita isn't supported very well; even Sony has pretty much abandoned it. I actually like it better than the 3DS. The Vita games are pretty much like portable PS3 games, and the remote play with the PS4 is uneven but when it works, it's pretty impressive.

But the 3DS wins on games handsdown. I've had about 8 Vita games, but I haven't bought one since probably late summer last year. I used it now mostly to play PS One and PSP games I downloaded. Sadly there is literally nothing on the horizon that I want, and any games they were talking about (i.e. an InFamous game) have been cancelled.

I've owned probably 12-13 3DS games, and I have several Virtual Console games on it. I likely won't buy a new 3DS anytime soon, if at all. There really isn't much coming out anytime soon that I want. I prefer console gaming anyway. But if they release a new Zelda game that you have to have the new 3DS, I might consider it.

It's a shame that the Vita isn't supported very well; even Sony has pretty much abandoned it. I actually like it better than the 3DS. The Vita games are pretty much like portable PS3 games, and the remote play with the PS4 is uneven but when it works, it's pretty impressive.

But the 3DS wins on games handsdown. I've had about 8 Vita games, but I haven't bought one since probably late summer last year. I used it now mostly to play PS One and PSP games I downloaded. Sadly there is literally nothing on the horizon that I want, and any games they were talking about (i.e. an InFamous game) have been cancelled.

I've owned probably 12-13 3DS games, and I have several Virtual Console games on it. I likely won't buy a new 3DS anytime soon, if at all. There really isn't much coming out anytime soon that I want. I prefer console gaming anyway. But if they release a new Zelda game that you have to have the new 3DS, I might consider it.

Yep, I really only use my Vita for a few Vita games, but mostly PSONE titles. Their focus is in Japan, unfortunately.

The New 3DS will have exclusive games soon; Xenoblade and Fire Emblem come to mind.

I've contemplated buying a 3DS for a while now. Maybe embarrassing to admit but I used to be a big Pokemon player on the old Gameboys when I was younger. I kinda wanna play X and the Sapphire remake. The new 3DS looks cool. Smash and the other Nintendo exclusive games look fun. Just don't know if I'd play it enough to justify $200.

I've contemplated buying a 3DS for a while now. Maybe embarrassing to admit but I used to be a big Pokemon player on the old Gameboys when I was younger. I kinda wanna play X and the Sapphire remake. The new 3DS looks cool. Smash and the other Nintendo exclusive games look fun. Just don't know if I'd play it enough to justify $200.

Haha no need to be embarrassed, I had Blue and Red on the old Gameboy. Picked up Y and Sapphire for the New 3DS. They're every bit as addictive as they were in 1998. If you do get one, get the "New 3DS" it is their next lineup of handhelds and they will be focusing content on it.

Never played a Pokemon game in my life. All of my friends did and loved them.

Does anyone else own these handhelds?

I just picked up my New 3DS with Monster Hunter 4 and Majora's Mask.

If you're into classic 80s and 90s era RPGs, handhelds are about the only way to go now these days.

Does the 3DS offer Ocarina of Time?

NM, it is available and they apparently recognize demand. $58 for a game that was designed 20 years ago is crazy.

NM, it is available and they apparently recognize demand. $58 for a game that was designed 20 years ago is crazy.

Yes, it was remade for 3DS and yes, demand exceeded supply, unfortunately.

Majora's Mask just came out and it will likely garner a similar price.

They're both better on 3DS than N64 and worth the entry fee, if you have the coin. I've seen copies of OoT for $35 on EBay if you're lucky.

I was "too old" when Pokemon came out so I never got the appeal. But I'm amazed at the number of grown men and women who still keep up with it.

I used to find it odd, then realized I'm a grown man who plays video games and gets excited about comic book movies.

I was "too old" when Pokemon came out so I never got the appeal. But I'm amazed at the number of grown men and women who still keep up with it.

I used to find it odd, then realized I'm a grown man who plays video games and gets excited about comic book movies.

That is exactly how I thought. I was "too old" when the second generation of Pokemon came out in high school, so I skipped the series for 15 years.

I only recently went back, and I am ashamed that I cared so much of what my peers thought. Especially now that I am a teacher and see how little being cool in high school actually matters :p

Now I have Harry Potter, comic books, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, and video game paraphernalia all over my classroom. Embrace the inner nerd.

Reactions: 1 person

You will. I was completely uninterested in handhelds before my friends got me a 3ds, and now I'm getting the new one. Smash Bros, LoZ, and Pokemon are all great time eaters. You'll get bored eventually, but a month or two and you'll be replaying a game and it will suck you in for weeks at a time. Nintendo stuff has great replay value.

Reactions: 1 person
You will. I was completely uninterested in handhelds before my friends got me a 3ds, and now I'm getting the new one. Smash Bros, LoZ, and Pokemon are all great time eaters. You'll get bored eventually, but a month or two and you'll be replaying a game and it will suck you in for weeks at a time. Nintendo stuff has great replay value.

I may pick up the new one if a retailer has a sale soon.

Just curious, what's supposed to be so great about the new one compared to the old one?

The New 3DS has a faster processor so it can handle some of the exclusive games coming soon (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem).

It also has a second stick used to rotate camera angles easier in third person games. It also has four shoulder buttons instead of two.

It loads games faster and it has an IR camera that maintains the 3D image from multiple viewing angles (the original 3DS was only straight on 3D view). It also has a better battery life. Basically what the OG 3DS should have been.

Since they are the same price right now, there is no reason to get an original 3DS. Even if the price did change dramatically, they're going to be developing games for the New 3DS from here on so you'd miss out on those, if you were interested.

The New 3DS has a faster processor so it can handle some of the exclusive games coming soon (Xenoblade and Fire Emblem).

It also has a second stick used to rotate camera angles easier in third person games. It also has four shoulder buttons instead of two.

It loads games faster and it has an IR camera that maintains the 3D image from multiple viewing angles (the original 3DS was only straight on 3D view). It also has a better battery life. Basically what the OG 3DS should have been.

Since they are the same price right now, there is no reason to get an original 3DS. Even if the price did change dramatically, they're going to be developing games for the New 3DS from here on so you'd miss out on those, if you were interested.

Damn I didn't even realize that Nintendo was releasing an improved 3DS. I like the sound of the new featueres. I might consider picking one up. A couple of questions...

1.) Will the newer 3DS improve graphics/performance on current games?

2.) Will the newer exclusives only run on the updated 3DS or will it just run them better?

Damn I didn't even realize that Nintendo was releasing an improved 3DS. I like the sound of the new featueres. I might consider picking one up. A couple of questions...

1.) Will the newer 3DS improve graphics/performance on current games?

2.) Will the newer exclusives only run on the updated 3DS or will it just run them better?

1. Not that I am aware of. It improves loading time of games (which were atrocious, by today's standard) and makes the UI smoother.

2. The new exclusive games will be for New 3DS only. But the New 3DS will play original 3DS games smoother and will also play DS games (and there are a stupid amount of amazing DS games in Nintendo's library).

3. If you do get one, research the "DSTWO" if you're familiar with emulation; it will open up a lot of possibilities with the 3DS.

1. Not that I am aware of. It improves loading time of games (which were atrocious, by today's standard) and makes the UI smoother.

2. The new exclusive games will be for New 3DS only. But the New 3DS will play original 3DS games smoother and will also play DS games (and there are a stupid amount of amazing DS games in Nintendo's library).

3. If you do get one, research the "DSTWO" if you're familiar with emulation; it will open up a lot of possibilities with the 3DS.

Thanks for the info.

This is an interesting move by Nintendo. Rather than releasing a full blown successor to the 3DS, this seems more like a 3DS 1.5, like a go between system. Almost the same way they did with the Wii-U. To me, this seems like it would confuse the market and a lot of 3DS owners will mistakenly think the new games will work with their system.

What would be cool as hell is if the new 3DS could be used with the Wii-U as it's controller like the existing Wii-U gamepad.

Thanks for the info.

This is an interesting move by Nintendo. Rather than releasing a full blown successor to the 3DS, this seems more like a 3DS 1.5, like a go between system. Almost the same way they did with the Wii-U. To me, this seems like it would confuse the market and a lot of 3DS owners will mistakenly think the new games will work with their system.

What would be cool as hell is if the new 3DS could be used with the Wii-U as it's controller like the existing Wii-U gamepad.

I have been thinking the same thing. Nintendo insists on being as confusing as possible with their system names, and it has cost them in the console war. I consider myself to be pretty well informed when it comes to video games, but I thought the Wii U was just a handheld extra screen for the Wii for like two years...

It is just an improved 3DS, like the Gameboy Color was an improved Game Boy, the DSi was an improved DS, etc. They just thought calling it the "New 3DS" was a good idea.

I have been thinking the same thing. Nintendo insists on being as confusing as possible with their system names, and it has cost them in the console war. I consider myself to be pretty well informed when it comes to video games, but I thought the Wii U was just a handheld extra screen for the Wii for like two years...

It is just an improved 3DS, like the Gameboy Color was an improved Game Boy, the DSi was an improved DS, etc. They just thought calling it the "New 3DS" was a good idea.

I'm telling you, call me nuts but I fully believe that the next system Nintendo releases will be an attempt to combine their console and handheld markets into one market. It's been rumored that the working title of the system that's in development is called "Fusion" and I believe it's a way of "fusing" console and handheld together into one system.

I think it will be a powerful handheld (roughly PS4 type performance) that will be able to somehow communicate with our TV's to allow us to play our games either on the big screen or on the handheld screen and the unit itself will serve as the controller (I think the updated 3DS with the 2nd analogue button and 4 shoulder buttons is a precurser to this).

VN Store

Back