Dark Souls 2: Scholar Of The First Sin (PS3, PS4, X360, X1, PC)

Brave Volunteer

I'm definitely all in for this one! I wanted to play Dark Souls 2 last gen but I had already moved on to next gen. Now that they are bringing this over to PS4 and X1 I'm going to give a try. I love this series.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHSKD6VXT8k#t=100[/youtube]

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
It was really good. I got all 1000 gamerscore, and I'm ready to do it again.

They're including the DLC, rearranged weapons and enemies, better graphics, and more story elements. I believe there are more people allowed in multiplayer too.

Too bad this comes out two weeks after Bloodborne.

Did you ever end up getting it? I'm about to start the last DLC area. While this is definitely the "easy" Souls game, the Scholar of the First Sin is one of the better remasters I have played.

Not yet, have not had much time for gaming lately. This, the Witcher 3 and Batman will occupy me for a long time.

Nope, this is my first one. Enjoying it so far. Had to look online to to figure out the different types of attacks lol.

Oh okay, well this one is the most accessible one for newcomers lol

Just pay attention to your stamina bar (green). Most important stat for beginners.

For your first time through I'd shoot for pouring your points into Vigor, Endurance, Vitality, and either Strength or Dexterity, depending on which type of weapons you want to use.

Ideal setup would be like

40 VGR
40 End
25 Vit
40 Str/25 Dex
or
40 Dex/25 Str

Leave the other stats alone until you're more familiar with everything on a second play through. You don't want to be spread too thin.

Maybe put some points into Adaptability so that your Agility stat is 100-105.

Going over 40 in any stat will start to give you diminishing returns.

Also, don't forget to upgrade your weapon with titanite shards, it is a must.

I love this game, I've completed 3 rounds. I am at level 524 on my build, I've done a lot of phantom assists :)

Actually, I was wrong, I'm at 551. NOW...are we discussing DS for ps3 or the new one for the ps4? I don't have the one for the ps4 yet, is it worth getting? Also, must you become a Playstion Plus member to play online with the ps4 version of DS2? I've had my ps4 for a while now but I've not used it. Someone told me with the ps4 you must be a member of the PlayStation Plus before you can play any games online. If so that sucks! That was always my selling point to people when they were choosing between the ps system or the xbox

Actually, I was wrong, I'm at 551. NOW...are we discussing DS for ps3 or the new one for the ps4? I don't have the one for the ps4 yet, is it worth getting? Also, must you become a Playstion Plus member to play online with the ps4 version of DS2? I've had my ps4 for a while now but I've not used it. Someone told me with the ps4 you must be a member of the PlayStation Plus before you can play any games online. If so that sucks! That was always my selling point to people when they were choosing between the ps system or the xbox

This is the updated version on Xbox One and PS4. Yes, you have to have PS Plus to play online. But for $50 a year, you get 3 or 4 "free" games a month and most of them are pretty solid. Plus you're also paying for added security so the PS Network doesn't go down like it did several years ago, along with more updates for the system. The yearly subscription was actually the reason I began to focus more on Xbox last gen (because of the PSN issues). I guess we're opposite there haha

But concerning this version? You get all three DLCs, 50-60 frames per second (much more fluid gameplay), new weapons and armor and spells, new enemy placement, new bosses, and a few areas from the original have been rearranged. It is sort of the complete version of the game. I have it on One and PS4, and they look and feel much better than previous gen.

But if the $50 is a deal breaker for online play, you may need to find a new hobby soon because that's the way it is probably going to stay haha :p

Ha ha. Yes, you are right. Its more about principal than cost, like ground beef, I've almost stopped buying it, at least until football season :)

Thanks

Who here Hates Invaders?? I can't stand em:)

I am not set up for the style of fighting most use, so when I see that I am being invaded I am trying to change all my gear ha ha, and never seem to find the right stuff when I search in speed mode

Who here Hates Invaders?? I can't stand em:)

I am not set up for the style of fighting most use, so when I see that I am being invaded I am trying to change all my gear ha ha, and never seem to find the right stuff when I search in speed mode

I used to hate them, but I've got to where I enjoy being invaded. Particularly in DS and DS2. I do hate being invaded in Bloodborne though. I usually just wear PvP gear all the time now. I've put 500+ hours into all but Bloodborne so I figure I can handle the PvE with PvP gear by now. I bet you can handle yourself with a level 550 (although character soul level doesn't mean a damn thing in PvP if your opponent is good lol)

If you keep your white soapstone highlighted in your item wheel, it will go dark right before you're about to be invaded - that will give you a few moments heads up.

Need some advice here. Sorry, old thread bump.

I went with the swordsman or whatever it's called. So I have 2 swords. The problem is I'm terrible as the swordsman. I was much better in Bloodborne with my long axe. Can I get a long axe? Or any form of 2-handed weapon at all with this class? Or do I need to start over and do a new class so that I can get a long axe again?

Need some advice here. Sorry, old thread bump.

I went with the swordsman or whatever it's called. So I have 2 swords. The problem is I'm terrible as the swordsman. I was much better in Bloodborne with my long axe. Can I get a long axe? Or any form of 2-handed weapon at all with this class? Or do I need to start over and do a new class so that I can get a long axe again?

Yeah I'm not a fan of two handed either. You can definitely get some axes in DS2 though. You're not bound to being a swordsman or anything. There are also way way more weapons and armor options in DS than in Bloodborne. But it is a slower paced game.

There are several merchants who sell an assortment of weapons that can be two handed, but I'd recommend getting a good shield to carry on your back at least. Some give you faster stamina regen or HP regen. If you've played through Bloodborne, you shouldn't have a problem getting through this game. It is the easiest of the 4 games in the series.

There are several merchants who sell an assortment of weapons that can be two handed, but I'd recommend getting a good shield to carry on your back at least. Some give you faster stamina regen or HP regen. If you've played through Bloodborne, you shouldn't have a problem getting through this game. It is the easiest of the 4 games in the series.

I am definitely not experiencing this whole "easiest of the series" talk. I think this game is dramatically harder than Bloodborne. I just fought "The Pursuer" and he was brutal. I didn't even stand a chance.

I am definitely not experiencing this whole "easiest of the series" talk. I think this game is dramatically harder than Bloodborne. I just fought "The Pursuer" and he was brutal. I didn't even stand a chance.

It has a different flow. I can see going from Bloodborne to DS2 being tough, but in the end, it is widely considered to be the one in the series that holds your hand the most (you can fast travel to every location, you can carry hundreds of healing stones, and there is a ring you can wear that nullifies losing Souls when you die).

Where did you encounter the Pursuer first?

Spoiler alert

You fight him at least half a dozen times or more before it is said and done. At first, he is a tough boss, I'll admit, but once you learn to strafe to his side, he will swing and miss every single time.

It has a different flow. I can see going from Bloodborne to DS2 being tough, but in the end, it is widely considered to be the one in the series that holds your hand the most (you can fast travel to every location, you can carry hundreds of healing stones, and there is a ring you can wear that nullifies losing Souls when you die).

Where did you encounter the Pursuer first?

Spoiler alert

You fight him at least half a dozen times or more before it is said and done. At first, he is a tough boss, I'll admit, but once you learn to strafe to his side, he will swing and miss every single time.

I encountered him on the raised platform with the little ladder that climbs up to it first. He slaughtered me there. The area I keep battling him repeatedly (to no avail) is at the top of a tower. I have to fight my way to him every time, and I go through mist. The area has 2 crossbows you can man, but they are useless.

VN Store

Back