Rural internet

TDTennessee

So recently bought a house that is pretty far out in the country. DSL or broadband are not offered. From everything that I've read gaming on satelite internet like hughesnet is virtually impossible due to the ping and the cap on data. I have found a different option, broadbandq, that runs off cell towers. Anyone have any idea if this would be feasible for FPS games on xboxlive? Also, if anyone has any other ideas that'd be great.

Does it have access to non-satellite-based broadband internet? is the first question I would ask a realtor.

Limited access is fine for a vacation home or if you're a technophobe.

Didn't really have an option. It's 18 acres with barns/arenas/etc for the wife and her horses.

Any other ideas I'm not thinking of?

Unless it is hardwired, unfortunately gaming with PC and/or consoles are a no go. I have been down this road, as I mentioned in the other thread. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but you will need at least DSL, and you will still have a few problems periodically.

Data caps.

Take a look at broadbandq's packages. They know what they are doing... They have structured them for their benefit 110%.

Silver plan would not work for gaming due to 3mbps. The gold plan is 3g, at $119/month, which would lag like crazy with gaming. Platinum would work for gaming but at $139/month, they only give you 60gb of data (granted this would work for a sight gamer/netflix watcher at $139/month!!). I eat up 60gb of data halfway through the month with work and play.

I hate it for the poster on here. I know exactly what he is going through.

Attachments

• bbq.jpg
    bbq.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 4
Data caps.

Take a look at broadbandq's packages. They know what they are doing... They have structured them for their benefit 110%.

Silver plan would not work for gaming due to 3mbps. The gold plan is 3g, at $119/month, which would lag like crazy with gaming. Platinum would work for gaming but at $139/month, they only give you 60gb of data (granted this would work for a sight gamer/netflix watcher at $139/month!!). I eat up 60gb of data halfway through the month with work and play.

I hate it for the poster on here. I know exactly what he is going through.

That's what I was wondering, if the gold plan would work for gaming. It just sucks. I don't think I'll be getting a DSL connection anytime soon either.

Plus another thing to look at is, they do not advertise their upload speeds. I would be surprised if the gold is over 300k up.

But look into their 10 day "free trial" and see if the technology is better. It lagged like crazy for me, but that was 10 years ago...

Plus another thing to look at is, they do not advertise their upload speeds. I would be surprised if the gold is over 300k up.

But look into their 10 day "free trial" and see if the technology is better. It lagged like crazy for me, but that was 10 years ago...

I've talked to them about the 10 day trial and the only thing I would have to pay for is return shipping. An earlier response said that I would be ok but the other players in the game would have a hard time, why would that be the case? The person I have been emailing with said the gold is 512 Kbps UL. Thanks for the input.

Also, if I can get a landline phone service shouldn't I be able to get some form of internet? I'm fairly illiterate when it comes to this stuff, so I have no idea.

Last edited:
Also, if I can get a landline phone service shouldn't I be able to get some form of internet? I'm fairly literate when it comes to this stuff, so I have no idea.

Some form. But gaming wise, the DSL will be awful if youre over +/- 10000 cable feet from the nearest cabinet, and serviceable at best the closer you get from there.

Shot in the dark here, but has anyone ever used a T1 line for gaming? I was just randomly looking online to make sure I haven't missed any options and I came across this. Going to be expensive but I'm considering it.

How far away from the nearest CATV service area? Do you have any other homes on the roads between you and that trunk line?

I'd contact whoever the provider is in the area, and see what it will take as far as number of new subscribers and contract terms. Have a buddy who just had a scenario like this in Pennsylvania and they were able to work out a setup for them to extend the plant up his road

Last edited:
How far away from the nearest CATV service area? Do you have any other homes on the roads between you and that trunk line?

I'd contact whoever the provider is in the area, and see what it will take as far as number of new subscribers and contract terms. Have a buddy who just had a scenario like this in Pennsylvania and they were able to work out a setup for them to extend the plant up his road

Not many houses in my area maybe 10 or so in a mile radius. I haven't had any luck in finding the closest address with some sort of service. Comcast and AT&T just tell me that they don't offer service to my address, but they wont say how far away I am from service.

Not many houses in my area maybe 10 or so in a mile radius. I haven't had any luck in finding the closest address with some sort of service. Comcast and AT&T just tell me that they don't offer service to my address, but they wont say how far away I am from service.

Ah, I was wondering if you might round up enough neighbors to make it worth their while.

You are basically hosed.....just to be blunt. Unfortunately you wont have any options unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for data and use your mobile LTE

You are basically hosed.....just to be blunt. Unfortunately you wont have any options unless you want to pay a ridiculous amount of money for data and use your mobile LTE

Would Verizon LTE work for online? Verizon has a LTE installed internet that I found.

Would Verizon LTE work for online? Verizon has a LTE installed internet that I found.

It depends on what you want to play. I know I used my Verizon iPhone as an LTE hotspot, but I always had a Moderate/Type 2 NAT type on Xbox and PS. My AT&T iPhone is always Strict/Type 3 NAT which means I can sign on to Live and PSN, but can hardly play anything with anyone because of the NAT. I'm not sure about an LTE internet option, but it would probably work but you likely will see super high latency.

VN Store

Back