The Evil Within

I want to. How is it?

Very Resident Evil 4 like in gameplay, and it's a good thing. I've only played about 15 minutes but the first enemy gruesomely killed me 5 times before I figured out how to get past him.

how does it compare to Outlast?

I'm on Chapter 2 now, and it's actually a lot like Outlast. It has almost the exact "hide" setup. The main difference is this one you can fight back and kill. But you are also chased by huge guys that will kill you if they catch you.

sweet! between this and the Alien game, sleep is going to become harder =)

Another plus, if you're a Hell on Wheels fan, Anson Mount is the lead voice actor.

that's a pretty darn solid combination

this is a tough game! Definitely has a RE feel to it. Ammo is scare and you often find yourself in situations in which you have to run or die.

I wasn't a fan of the beginning - wasn't clear what you had to do and was really frustrating. Plus, the rest of the game plays completely different than the opening sequence.

Voice acting isn't very good; typical Japanese game dialogue.

I got distracted by other games, but I'll finish this eventually. Supposedly 2 single player DLC packs are coming out.

So after months of delay and playing other games, I'm finally back into this. I had only gotten to Chapter 3, but I decided just to start over because I didn't really remember much about it.

I like the game and all but something about it just feels tedious. I'm through Chapter 5 and I'm already over 5 hours, and the game has 15 Chapters. It just seems like the game is kind of dragging.

So after months of delay and playing other games, I'm finally back into this. I had only gotten to Chapter 3, but I decided just to start over because I didn't really remember much about it.

I like the game and all but something about it just feels tedious. I'm through Chapter 5 and I'm already over 5 hours, and the game has 15 Chapters. It just seems like the game is kind of dragging.

I've been tempted to try this. It's only like $25 now. I loved Resident Evil 1-3 and Silent Hill 1-3, but hated Resident Evil 4-6 - when the crows at the beginning dropped grenades and ammo, I knew survival horror was dead...

This looks like it nails the horror and somewhat does with the survival, with the lack of resources, but it looks like it plays like an action horror (RE4-6) so I'm skeptical...

I've been tempted to try this. It's only like $25 now. I loved Resident Evil 1-3 and Silent Hill 1-3, but hated Resident Evil 4-6 - when the crows at the beginning dropped grenades and ammo, I knew survival horror was dead...

This looks like it nails the horror and somewhat does with the survival, with the lack of resources, but it looks like it plays like an action horror (RE4-6) so I'm skeptical...

I actually loved RE 4.

I actually loved RE 4.

Oh i understand. Most did, and it was an incredible game for what it did well, the series just lost me when it wasn't "survival horror" anymore, beginning with that one and ending with Code Veronica (The only reason I bought a Sega Dreamcast haha). Kind of like how Silent Hill lost much of its survival psychological horror with Silent Hill Homecoming.

The Evil Within looks like it could scare the bejesus out of you, but the guy above said it was chapter based (another thing I disliked about RE4-6, nothing broke immersion quite like chapters). It might be worth a shot with GameStop's 7 day return policy on used games though haha

Actually, it's a pretty good combo of classic Resident Evil with classic Silent Hill, all with Resident Evil 4's controls. I'm like you, I liked RE4 as a game but as survival horror game (and really an RE game), it wasn't good at all.

This game has scares, and it has scarce ammo and supplies so unlike RE4, you can't just mow down enemies. It has "zombies" though they really aren't zombies but close, and it has the psychological/generally screwed up stuff from the first couple of Silent Hill games.

So if you love the old RE and old SH games, you'll probably like it. I just find so far the flow of the game a bit slow.

Actually, it's a pretty good combo of classic Resident Evil with classic Silent Hill, all with Resident Evil 4's controls. I'm like you, I liked RE4 as a game but as survival horror game (and really an RE game), it wasn't good at all.

This game has scares, and it has scarce ammo and supplies so unlike RE4, you can't just mow down enemies. It has "zombies" though they really aren't zombies but close, and it has the psychological/generally screwed up stuff from the first couple of Silent Hill games.

So if you love the old RE and old SH games, you'll probably like it. I just find so far the flow of the game a bit slow.

I may pick up a used copy. Thanks for the overview!

I finished the game and all 3 DLC missions. Overall I liked it. I'd recommend getting the Season Pass and getting all the DLC. The first 2 DLC missions are good but the 3rd (The Executioner) is really fun.

VN Store

Back