Rise of the Tomb Raider (just announced as a 2015 Xbone exclusive)

new trailer! Doesn't tell us a whole lot but cool none the less.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF07oLpHEBw[/youtube]

Square Enix screwed up on this one. There are so many people pissed off about them selling out to Microsoft.

I'm more pissed how they sold out to Sony with the Final Fantasy games. FF14, FF10/10-2 HD remaster, and soon bringing the PC (slightly) enhanced version of FF7 to the PS4.

Anyways, I just got Tomb Raider. I hope it is good!

I'm more pissed how they sold out to Sony with the Final Fantasy games. FF14, FF10/10-2 HD remaster, and soon bringing the PC (slightly) enhanced version of FF7 to the PS4.

Anyways, I just got Tomb Raider. I hope it is good!

Its because Xbox has virtually zero presence in Japan, or anywhere else for that matter other than the US and the UK.

Its because Xbox has virtually zero presence in Japan, or anywhere else for that matter other than the US and the UK.

Why does Xbox get 13, Type-0, and 15? Likely because Sony paid exclusive rights to keep 7, 10, and 14 on their platform. There is no way Microsoft would not want 7. Even if it isn't a remake, that game will make some damn money lol..And all three of those were also only on the PS3 last gen (FF14 on PC, being the exception), when Xbox 360 dominated the market.

Besides, I'd say just as many Westerners would want to play FF7 as the Japanese, considering there are more of us and most Japanese play handheld or mobile over consoles these days :(

There have been PS1 and PS2 exclusive games (Silent Hill 2 & 3, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3),from other developers make their way to Microsoft's machines, so the decision must be in the developer's court. That's why I get pissed at SquareSoft :p

Like I've said before, I own both consoles and really have no problem with some games being on one or the other. I just like playing devil's advocate when Microsoft is vilified for doing the same thing their Japanese counterparts are doing :)

The only way I'm playing this is if Lara gets a boob job!

Why does Xbox get 13, Type-0, and 15? Likely because Sony paid exclusive rights to keep 7, 10, and 14 on their platform. There is no way Microsoft would not want 7. Even if it isn't a remake, that game will make some damn money lol..And all three of those were also only on the PS3 last gen (FF14 on PC, being the exception), when Xbox 360 dominated the market.

Besides, I'd say just as many Westerners would want to play FF7 as the Japanese, considering there are more of us and most Japanese play handheld or mobile over consoles these days :(

There have been PS1 and PS2 exclusive games (Silent Hill 2 & 3, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Metal Gear Solid 2 & 3),from other developers make their way to Microsoft's machines, so the decision must be in the developer's court. That's why I get pissed at SquareSoft :p

This has to be the biggest myth that I see among Xbox owners. If finishing 3rd in total userbase mean dominating "the market" then you and I have very different definitions of the term. I'm assuming you mean the US market because globally that definitely was not the case. Like I said before, the only regions that Xbox is of any significance is the US and the UK. However it is a global market and globally, the PS3 finished 2nd behind the Wii and the 360 finished 3rd (but it was VERY close). The Wii was the only platform that "dominated" the market last gen.

Last edited:
This has to be the biggest myth that I see among Xbox owners. If finishing 3rd in total userbase mean dominating "the market" then you and I have very different definitions of the term. I'm assuming you mean the US market because globally that definitely was not the case. Like I said before, the only regions that Xbox is of any significance is the US and the UK. However it is a global market and globally, the PS3 finished 2nd behind the Wii and the 360 finished 3rd (but it was VERY close). The Wii was the only platform that "dominated" the market last gen.

Oh I know the Wii dominated the world and is like 2nd behind PS2 all-time. I'm talking about how the Xbox 360 was the "premier console" for developers, not necessarily sales (If we go by sales, Justin Bieber and One Direction are two of the greatest music artists of all time). Just like how the PS4 is this gen, with how it gets most of the attention from developers when it comes to timed DLC exclusives (Destiny and Black Ops 3, for example). But that wasn't even the point, I was talking about the big three buying exclusives and how MS is demonized for it when their competition does it too.

Oh I know the Wii dominated the world and is like 2nd behind PS2 all-time. I'm talking about how the Xbox 360 was the "premier console" for developers, not necessarily sales (If we go by sales, Justin Bieber and One Direction are two of the greatest music artists of all time). Just like how the PS4 is this gen, with how it gets most of the attention from developers when it comes to timed DLC exclusives (Destiny and Black Ops 3, for example). But that wasn't even the point, I was talking about the big three buying exclusives and how MS is demonized for it when their competition does it too.

Yeah, I definitely agree with you there in terms of the 360 being the lead console among developers. No question and I would even go as far as to say the 360 sort of won the "cultural" war in terms of marketing, brand awareness, cool factor, etc. The 360 was literally everywhere last generation.

As for MS being demonized for buying 3rd party exlusivity, I would suggest that at least part of the reason why that is is the fact that MS really doesn't put out a lot of diverse 1st party content. They're certainly not as prolific as Nintendo or Sony in this department. They're known as the "dude bro" platform for a reason. Just look at the X1 for example. Last holiday season the two big 1st party holiday titles were Halo and Forza. This holiday season the big two 1st party titles are going to be... surprise surprise...Halo and Forza.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. Go Tomb Raider! :)

Last edited:
Yeah, I definitely agree with you there in terms of the 360 being the lead console among developers. No question and I would even go as far as to say the 360 sort of won the "cultural" war in terms of marketing, brand awareness, cool factor, etc. The 360 was literally everywhere last generation.

As for MS being demonized for buying 3rd party exlusivity, I would suggest that at least part of the reason why that is is the fact that MS really doesn't put out a lot of diverse 1st party content. They're certainly not as prolific as Nintendo or Sony in this department. They're known as the "dude bro" platform for a reason. Just look at the X1 for example. Last holiday season the two big 1st party holiday titles were Halo and Forza. This holiday season the big two 1st party titles are going to be... surprise surprise...Halo and Forza.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread. Go Tomb Raider! :)

Haha 360 was absolutely the "dude bro" system last go around, but I think with the news that there are more COD players and streamers on PS4 now and that Black Ops 3 will be focused on the PS4 with its DLC (along with Destiny, which is the new more casual Halo) that PS4 is slowly becoming this generation's "dude bro" system. At least in my experience, all of those guys you've mentioned, along with 75% or more of my teenage students, have all migrated to the PS4 to play the FPSs. The One, thankfully, has seen a decrease in the number of "screachers" (prepubescent boys).

And Microsoft definitely needs to pick up their first party games, but they had some great exclusive titles before selling them to other publishers (Mass Effect). In my experience with Halo and Forza here recently, they've been mostly diehards from the OG Xbox era or gear heads - an older crowd, if you will. Hopefully that stays the same as I typically play my FPS games due to the Xbox controller being more comfortable to me. I use my PS4 for their exclusive titles only (Bloodborne, Last of Us, and other various RPGs).

Also, sorry for hijacking thread. This first Tomb Raider is pretty good so far. Definitely one of the better reboots of a series.

Haha 360 was absolutely the "dude bro" system last go around, but I think with the news that there are more COD players and streamers on PS4 now and that Black Ops 3 will be focused on the PS4 with its DLC (along with Destiny, which is the new more casual Halo) that PS4 is slowly becoming this generation's "dude bro" system. At least in my experience, all of those guys you've mentioned, along with 75% or more of my teenage students, have all migrated to the PS4 to play the FPSs. The One, thankfully, has seen a decrease in the number of "screachers" (prepubescent boys).

And Microsoft definitely needs to pick up their first party games, but they had some great exclusive titles before selling them to other publishers (Mass Effect). In my experience with Halo and Forza here recently, they've been mostly diehards from the OG Xbox era or gear heads - an older crowd, if you will. Hopefully that stays the same as I typically play my FPS games due to the Xbox controller being more comfortable to me. I use my PS4 for their exclusive titles only (Bloodborne, Last of Us, and other various RPGs).

Also, sorry for hijacking thread. This first Tomb Raider is pretty good so far. Definitely one of the better reboots of a series.

I loved it! It was one of the first games I picked up for my PS4 when I bought it. Definitely a nice return to form for the franchise. I hope Rise will add more... you know...TOMBS to explore! That was one aspect of the reboot that I really enjoyed. I'd like to see them expand on that with the sequel.

VN Store

Back