Thief

Did you read the reviews?? Proceed with caution... This ain't your grand pappy's Thief game

Yeah I decided to pass on this one, even before the reviews came out. Right now I'm just too buried in the Final Fantasy 14 Online Beta.

Anyone get this? It looks interesting, although I don't typically like stealth games.

Elaborate please. It's MMO right?

Yeah It's subscription based MMO. However the beta is free. I'll play until the beta expires but no way am I paying a monthly fee to play this. TBH I don't think it's all that special. I'm waiting for Everquest Next to come out. I think it will be better. If you're into MMO's you should check out the EQN preview. Looks like it's going to kick ass and it's F2P!

http://www.volnation.com/forum/gaming/213110-everquest-next-mmorpg-confirmed-ps4.html

Last edited:
Yeah It's subscription based MMO. However the beta is free. I'll play until the beta expires but no way am I paying a monthly fee to play this. TBH I don't think it's all that special. I'm waiting for Everquest Next to come out. I think it will be better. If you're into MMO's you should check out the EQN preview. Looks like it's going to kick ass and it's F2P!

http://www.volnation.com/forum/gaming/213110-everquest-next-mmorpg-confirmed-ps4.html

Honestly I'm not into MMO's. Just a huge final fantasy buff. I'm dying for FF to come out with a new game that's actually good. FF15 looks like it's going to be a bust. I was hoping maybe you would say 14 is incredible and worth taking my first plunge into MMO's.

Honestly I'm not into MMO's. Just a huge final fantasy buff. I'm dying for FF to come out with a new game that's actually good. FF15 looks like it's going to be a bust. I was hoping maybe you would say 14 is incredible and worth taking my first plunge into MMO's.

Just curious, why do you think FF15 looks like a bust? It looks very interesting to me.

FF14 is not a game that's going to initially wow you because in the beginning you have to do a lot of tedious, mundane tasks to get yourself leveled up to a point that lets you get more into the meat of the game. From everyone I've talked to who's been playing it for the last year, they say it's one of those games where if you heavily invest in it on the front end it will greatly reward you in the middle and on the back end. However I'm not going to lie, in the beginnig it's kind of boring. Plus your character customization is way more limited than what I'd like to see by today's standards. If this were a F2P game I'd invest more time in it. However no way do I think this is worth the price of full retail plus a monthly subscription fee. I just don't think that model works on consoles.

Just curious, why do you think FF15 looks like a bust? It looks very interesting to me.

FF14 is not a game that's going to initially wow you because in the beginning you have to do a lot of tedious, mundane tasks to get yourself leveled up to a point that lets you get more into the meat of the game. From everyone I've talked to who's been playing it for the last year, they say it's one of those games where if you heavily invest in it on the front end it will greatly reward you in the middle and on the back end. However I'm not going to lie, in the beginnig it's kind of boring. Plus your character customization is way more limited than what I'd like to see by today's standards. If this were a F2P game I'd invest more time in it. However no way do I think this is worth the price of full retail plus a monthly subscription fee. I just don't think that model works on consoles.

Yeah I've downloaded the beta and you are 100% correct. I'm losing interest quick. And I can't get that stupid icon with the number of quests out of the middle of my screen.

As for 15..... I dunno. I mean don't get me wrong, I will definitely buy it. But for one I'm done with that world (15 is going to take place in the same world as the 13 series). I'm ready to get back to worlds similar to the one I'm already seeing in 14, castles with wizards and knights, etc. as opposed to this who world with machine guns and helicopters and skyscrapers. Basically I've always liked the medieval-style FF stuff more than the futuristic FF stuff.

That and the battle system is going to be like Kingdom Hearts which pisses me off. I enjoy turn-based fighting in RPG's. I don't like idea of just running around and jumping and pushing square to attack. It seems less strategic. I want Final Fantasy, not God of War.

Again..... I'll buy it. But when I saw they were doing that kind of battle system it literally ruined my day.

Yeah I've downloaded the beta and you are 100% correct. I'm losing interest quick. And I can't get that stupid icon with the number of quests out of the middle of my screen.

As for 15..... I dunno. I mean don't get me wrong, I will definitely buy it. But for one I'm done with that world (15 is going to take place in the same world as the 13 series). I'm ready to get back to worlds similar to the one I'm already seeing in 14, castles with wizards and knights, etc. as opposed to this who world with machine guns and helicopters and skyscrapers. Basically I've always liked the medieval-style FF stuff more than the futuristic FF stuff.

That and the battle system is going to be like Kingdom Hearts which pisses me off. I enjoy turn-based fighting in RPG's. I don't like idea of just running around and jumping and pushing square to attack. It seems less strategic. I want Final Fantasy, not God of War.

Again..... I'll buy it. But when I saw they were doing that kind of battle system it literally ruined my day.

Well, to be honest I enjoyed rpg's like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, The Witcher series, Demons Souls, etc far more than any JRPG that came out this past generation. I'm not that big a fan of the turn based battle system at all. Real time battles feel more immersive and realistic to me than taking turns attacking. I know that some argue that you take away the strategic element doing that but honestly, I don't miss it. It's probably why Kingdom Hearts is my all time favorite Square RPG.

I just wish Square would take an effing break from Final Fantasy for a while and invest into doing some new IP's. I've always liked Final Fantasy but Jesus! Enough is enough! Why not a new RPG IP or the very least an updated Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana?!? Squaresoft used to put out so many unique RPG's but ever since they teamed up with Enix it's like they got pigeon-holed into only doing Final Fantasy.

Anyway, I guess we've hijacked the THEIF thread long enough LOL!

BTW, to remove that annoying icon just click on the right corner of your glide pad and press x.

Well, to be honest I enjoyed rpg's like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, The Witcher series, Demons Souls, etc far more than any JRPG that came out this past generation. I'm not that big a fan of the turn based battle system at all. Real time battles feel more immersive and realistic to me than taking turns attacking. I know that some argue that you take away the strategic element doing that but honestly, I don't miss it. It's probably why Kingdom Hearts is my all time favorite Square RPG.

I just wish Square would take an effing break from Final Fantasy for a while and invest into doing some new IP's. I've always liked Final Fantasy but Jesus! Enough is enough! Why not a new RPG IP or the very least an updated Chrono Trigger or Secret of Mana?!? Squaresoft used to put out so many unique RPG's but ever since they teamed up with Enix it's like they got pigeon-holed into only doing Final Fantasy.

Anyway, I guess we've hijacked the THEIF thread long enough LOL!

BTW, to remove that annoying icon just click on the right corner of your glide pad and press x.

To this point I agree. I mean, obviously I don't mind more FF games, but I have played some others that I would love to see. Xenogears was incredible. It would be great to see something done with the Xeno-saga with today's updates. Oh well. It is what it is I guess.

I regret never finishing Xenogears - that game was massive and incredibly fun to play

To this point I agree. I mean, obviously I don't mind more FF games, but I have played some others that I would love to see. Xenogears was incredible. It would be great to see something done with the Xeno-saga with today's updates. Oh well. It is what it is I guess.

Just curious, did you play some of the other JRPG's on PS3 like Eternal Sonata, or Ni No Kuni? If not I highly recommend bot of those! Also, Valkeria Chronicles was fantastic strategy JRPG with a very unique graphic style to it!

Just curious, did you play some of the other JRPG's on PS3 like Eternal Sonata, or Ni No Kuni? If not I highly recommend bot of those! Also, Valkeria Chronicles was fantastic strategy JRPG with a very unique graphic style to it!

Never played any of them. I will check them out though. RPG is the absolute best type of game IMO. 4 of my top 5 games of all time are RPG (probably FF Tactics as number 1). I always enjoyed the Breath of Fire games as well.

Btw, back on this Beta game (screw Thief that game apparently sucks, this thread is officially hijacked). I've done all the first 3 quests (meet the guy to talk about the market, tune yourself to the teleport things, and whatever the third one was) and went back to the girl and she basically said "now go out and make money" or something to that degree.

Am I just done with direction at this point? Am I supposed to be doing anything in particular? I've just kind of been wandering and fighting monsters to level up. Is this pretty much all there is to the beta at this point?

Edit: through research I realized you may not have started in the same place I did. I started in ul'dah. I was able to find my next main quest too so nevermind.

Last edited:
Never played any of them. I will check them out though. RPG is the absolute best type of game IMO. 4 of my top 5 games of all time are RPG (probably FF Tactics as number 1). I always enjoyed the Breath of Fire games as well.

Btw, back on this Beta game (screw Thief that game apparently sucks, this thread is officially hijacked). I've done all the first 3 quests (meet the guy to talk about the market, tune yourself to the teleport things, and whatever the third one was) and went back to the girl and she basically said "now go out and make money" or something to that degree.

Am I just done with direction at this point? Am I supposed to be doing anything in particular? I've just kind of been wandering and fighting monsters to level up. Is this pretty much all there is to the beta at this point?

Edit: through research I realized you may not have started in the same place I did. I started in ul'dah. I was able to find my next main quest too so nevermind.

I am a "Marauder" so I started in Limsa Lominsa. However regardless of where you start, the idea is the same. Run around, complete menial tasks to level up and earn money to upgrade your character's armor, weapons, etc. I have been told once you reach level 10 you can start doing "Guildhests" (party quests). At level 15 you can leave your city-state and explore the other 2, and start exploring the main dungeons. At level 20 you face off against your first primal with Ifrit.

So XIV ain't so bad actually. I'm kinda getting addicted to it. If there wasn't a monthly subscription I probably would be interested in buying it. You really have to pay monthly even if you just go solo? I have no intentions of playing with anyone else.

Bump.

Brave Vol the FFXIV beta comes out soon again right? I'm trying to get the exact dates but all I can get is that stupid maintenance schedule.

Edit: Nevermind I found it. This Friday-Monday. Are you going to download it again?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back