Steam Machine

I can not imagine or see how it is possible to put 6k into a case, and it be any better than a 1.5k at most. Must be extremely overclocked and a crazy expensive water-cooling system.

Will make Alien rigs seem like a bargain

The alienware steam machine could be interesting if the things they claim about it come to fruition. The others don't seem to have that much going for them.

I can not imagine or see how it is possible to put 6k into a case, and it be any better than a 1.5k at most. Must be extremely overclocked and a crazy expensive water-cooling system.

4 way SLI titans and you're already and 4000 dollars. Add in the cost of the other parts and some labor, I could see it. Efficient? Not at all but someone will buy it like an idiot.

What I'm struggling to understand is what demographic exactly is this going after? I thought the Steam Machine was going to be a powerful, proprietary closed system like consoles that runs the Steam interface and the content be 100% digitally distributed. Now I'm seeing units ranging from 500 to 6000 dollars! This is basically a PC that's been put into a box that you hook to your TV. Regular PC's are already doing this so I fail to see a place for this in the market. The fact that it's still an open ended platform tells me that games are still going to be programmed for the lowest common denominator. The idea of it being a closed platform is what actually had me intrigued. Now it's just another PC IMO.

What I'm struggling to understand is what demographic exactly is this going after? I thought the Steam Machine was going to be a powerful, proprietary closed system like consoles that runs the Steam interface and the content be 100% digitally distributed. Now I'm seeing units ranging from 500 to 6000 dollars! This is basically a PC that's been put into a box that you hook to your TV. Regular PC's are already doing this so I fail to see a place for this in the market. The fact that it's still an open ended platform tells me that games are still going to be programmed for the lowest common denominator. The idea of it being a closed platform is what actually had me intrigued. Now it's just another PC IMO.

They never claimed it to be a closed platform. The whole reason ValveOS was designed is because that's the direction MS is taking with windows. PC players hate the thought of a closed platform. Even the controller Will be freely moddable.

Also, I don't understand the games developed for the "lowest common denominator." They already are. It's called consoles.

Steam machines and steam OS are designed for people who want a generally small form factor prebuilt PC that they can sit at their couch and play without it being too large, loud, and intrusive in the living room environment. They do this while still being able to upgrade freely and they make it easy to just hot swap a new card into the system.

Not once did Valve market it as a closet proprietary platform. They've said from day one anyone can make a steam machine and that steamOS would be available for free to anyone who wants it.

Reactions: 1 person
They never claimed it to be a closed platform. The whole reason ValveOS was designed is because that's the direction MS is taking with windows. PC players hate the thought of a closed platform. Even the controller Will be freely moddable.

Also, I don't understand the games developed for the "lowest common denominator." They already are. It's called consoles.

Steam machines and steam OS are designed for people who want a generally small form factor prebuilt PC that they can sit at their couch and play without it being too large, loud, and intrusive in the living room environment. They do this while still being able to upgrade freely and they make it easy to just hot swap a new card into the system.

Not once did Valve market it as a closet proprietary platform. They've said from day one anyone can make a steam machine and that steamOS would be available for free to anyone who wants it.

I guess what I meant by a closed system was that way, compatibility issues that are often found in PC gaming would no longer be a problem. Every game that would run on the Steam Box would be coded "to the metal" of the architecture. That's why I always preferred consoles over PC's. Well that along with cost, exclusive titles, and the simplicity of using them over PC's. No hard drive defraging. No virus issues. No worry of having to upgrade to run the latest games at maximum performance, etc.

I still don't understand, if you want the convenience of playing games on your TV while sitting on your couch why wouldn't you just buy a console? Besides, I thought PC gamers prefered mouse and keyboard controls over the use of a controller.

Also What I meant by lowest common denominator was that when a developer makes a PC title, no matter how powerful your system is the games will never be truly coded to take full advantage of your rig because there are so many different PC configurations out there. The majority of PC owners don't have 3000.00 rigs so naturally, games are developed to run on a broad range of configurations, most of which or on the lower end of performance.

With consoles, a developer knows that everyone who owns that console has the exact same architecture and can therefore code much closer to the metal to maximize the hardware. It's nice knowing that if I buy a PS3 title today, it's going to run every bit as good on my console as the titles I bought 7 years ago. I cannot say the same about my PC.

Last edited:
I guess what I meant by a closed system was that way, compatibility issues that are often found in PC gaming would no longer be a problem. Every game that would run on the Steam Box would be coded "to the metal" of the architecture. That's why I always preferred consoles over PC's. Well that along with cost, exclusive titles, and the simplicity of using them over PC's. No hard drive defraging. No virus issues. No worry of having to upgrade to run the latest games at maximum performance, etc.

I still don't understand, if you want the convenience of playing games on your TV while sitting on your couch why wouldn't you just buy a console? Besides, I thought PC gamers prefered mouse and keyboard controls over the use of a controller.

Also What I meant by lowest common denominator was that when a developer makes a PC title, no matter how powerful your system is the games will never be truly coded to take full advantage of your rig because there are so many different PC configurations out there. The majority of PC owners don't have 3000.00 rigs so naturally, games are developed to run on a broad range of configurations, most of which or on the lower end of performance.

With consoles, a developer knows that everyone who owns that console has the exact same architecture and can therefore code much closer to the metal to maximize the hardware. It's nice knowing that if I buy a PS3 title today, it's going to run every bit as good on my console as the titles I bought 7 years ago. I cannot say the same about my PC.

You have fell victim to many myths about PC gaming.

1) myth: we prefer mouse and keyboard. End of discussion

Truth: FPS, MMO and RTS/MOBA? Sure but I play dark souls with a controller. I play emulators with a controller. My controller of choice? An xbox 360 controller. That thing is amazing and the xbone one is even better.

2) "to the metal optimization" is a myth. Games can be coded incredibly well and optimized on the PC. Big game companies like EA And activision are just terrible at doing so or too lazy. My current rig that boasts tech from 2008-2009 can run FarCry 3 and Tomb Raider at max specs at 720p at 60fps with full anti-aliasing. Those are incredibly well optimized games for the PC and that is much higher settings than what the consoles are capable of.

3) exclusives. People act like PCs don't have exclusives. The truth is we have just as many if not more exclusives than consoles and we get to keep our exclusives when we upgrade.

4) you don't have to constantly upgrade to keep up. My computer has had the same tech in it since 2009. I can upgrade it for less than 400 dollars and keep up with the xbone and ps4 mainly because any half decent cpu is gonna run theirs in the dirt. The games I bought several years ago run just as good today as they did several years ago. GTA V may run on your PS3 but it doesn't run well. It has been graphically compromised quite a bit. Same with BF4. Hell BF4 on ps4 is lacking basic things that PC Players enjoy such as anti aliasing. Same with black flag (which isn't very well optimized on PC)

5) windows defrags on a schedule these days and you hardly ever have to do it yourself, steam updates your drivers for you, and in all my years of owning a PC I've never had a virus. These are all archaic responses to the argument.

I could keep going but I think I made my point.

Also the steam box itself isn't made for people like more who are already PC gamers and I think that's where some of the manufacturers are getting lost. It's made to convert and give another option.

Edit: PC gaming in one word = Options

Edit 2: steamOS is just a Linux distro. It was never marketed as anything more.

Edit 3: forgot to mention cost. That's also a myth these days. 600 dollars will get you a PC that can play what the new consoles can. You also still have access to your whole PC library and don't have to pay for online.

Last edited:

Truth: FPS, MMO and RTS/MOBA? Sure but I play dark souls with a controller. I play emulators with a controller. My controller of choice? An xbox 360 controller. That thing is amazing and the xbone one is even better.

2) "to the metal optimization" is a myth. Games can be coded incredibly well and optimized on the PC. Big game companies like EA And activision are just terrible at doing so or too lazy. My current rig that boasts tech from 2008-2009 can run FarCry 3 and Tomb Raider at max specs at 720p at 60fps with full anti-aliasing. Those are incredibly well optimized games for the PC and that is much higher settings than what the consoles are capable of.

3) exclusives. People act like PCs don't have exclusives. The truth is we have just as many if not more exclusives than consoles and we get to keep our exclusives when we upgrade.

4) you don't have to constantly upgrade to keep up. My computer has had the same tech in it since 2009. I can upgrade it for less than 400 dollars and keep up with the xbone and ps4 mainly because any half decent cpu is gonna run theirs in the dirt. The games I bought several years ago run just as good today as they did several years ago. GTA V may run on your PS3 but it doesn't run well. It has been graphically compromised quite a bit. Same with BF4. Hell BF4 on ps4 is lacking basic things that PC Players enjoy such as anti aliasing. Same with black flag (which isn't very well optimized on PC)

5) windows defrags on a schedule these days and you hardly ever have to do it yourself, steam updates your drivers for you, and in all my years of owning a PC I've never had a virus. These are all archaic responses to the argument.

Also the steam box itself isn't made for people like more who are already PC gamers and I think that's where some of the manufacturers are getting lost. It's made to convert and give another option.

Edit 3: forgot to mention cost. That's also a myth these days. 600 dollars will get you a PC that can play what the new consoles can. You also still have access to your whole PC library and don't have to pay for online.

So WHO exactly is the Steam Box for? It seems to me that it's a confusing product that can't quite decide on what it wants to be.

At best I would guess that this is going to be a niche product. There's no way I see "Joe Sixpack" walking into a Best Buy and choosing this over a PS4 or Xbox One. At the same time, like you said it's not for those who are already into PC gaming. So what demographic is this targeting?

I agree it will be a hard product to sell. Hardcore console gamers will ignore them and hardcore PC gamers will ignore them.

I agree it will be a hard product to sell. Hardcore console gamers will ignore them and hardcore PC gamers will ignore them.

I agree. I don't think it'll take off but it is an option that's there. Who knows though? I hope it takes off. I doubt it will.

I never said PC's don't have exclusives. I only said I prefer the exclusives found on consoles more. Of course PC's have exclusives. However to be honest, I cannot think of one single PC exclusive right now that I am just dying to own. Yet trying to imagine being exclusive to PC gaming and not being able to play all the great console exclusives, that would suck.

A compelling argument!

I've been underwhelmed by the PS4 so far - the choice of games is dismal and will continue to be that way until mid 2014.

I built my first gaming PC for my son over the Christmas break. I'm tempted to sell my PS4 and do the same for myself - might buy another PS4 next year when there's more choices.

Yeah that's what I figured. Trust me, this is par for the course for launch consoles. You have your launch titles and then there's always a drout for the next few months. However this definitely isn't the worst launch line up I've ever seen! N64 launched with Mario 3D and Pilot Wings....and that's IT and that's all there was for a long time!

I never said PC's don't have exclusives. I only said I prefer the exclusives found on consoles more. Of course PC's have exclusives. However to be honest, I cannot think of one single PC exclusive right now that I am just dying to own. Yet trying to imagine being exclusive to PC gaming and not being able to play all the great console exclusives, that would suck.

See I can live without halo. I have counter-strike (while not exclusive to pc, is better supported there) and planetside...and my most holy mouse and keyboard for fps. I've lived without playstation exclusives for 2 going on 3 console cycles now.

But there are games that are on PC That are just plain amazing...and some of those are free!

Dota2, league of legends and path of exile being a few.

I've seen quite a few people want Day Z and 7 days to live on consoles. Star citizen is going to be an amazing PC exclusive!

Then you put on the entire RTS genre. You're missing out on not an exclusive game but an exclusive GENRE!

You're going to have exclusives no matter where you go. I find the most bang for my buck with the most open and options full platform.

VN Store

Back