Drive Club (PS4)

Brave Volunteer

Some gorgeous footage showing the day to night transitioning during a race (keep in mind it's been accelerated 60X. You can set it to transition in real time as well).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aWOwPwHGEA&feature=player_embedded#t=0[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person
some animated gifs..

dc_timelapse_chile_audi_r8_prores2.gif

dc_timelapse_chile_audi_r8_prores3.gif

dc_timelapse_chile_audi_r8_prores.gif

Reactions: 1 person
Fyi

two days ago a story on ign heavily implied a further delay of the upcoming ps4 exclusive driveclub, even hinting to the possibility that the game would not be released in 2014.

That caused a lot of discussion on neogaf, and one user asked “delay? Will this become the gran turismo 5 of the current gen?” that sparked a response from industry insider demonnite, who is known to be a sony employee, even if his actual identity is kept under wraps:

"nah not a chance of that happening : P"

when asked for further information, demonnite mentioned that the game simply needed more time, and the initial delay, that was decided long ago, is a wise move. He also defined ign’s story “click bait.”

"umm, errm… the game needed more time and i think it was a wise move by them (this was decided long ago mind you)."

"also ign just being ign with their click bait"

it’s doubtless that the “going back to the drawing board” statement from rhodes is very generic, and might very well indicate something that has been decided a long time ago, while the game could definitely be on track for a relatively imminent release.

As for the intervention by sony’s pr, to which ign’s story gives somewhat disproportionate relevance, that’s something quite standard in the industry and sounds a lot shadier than it is in reality. It happens a lot when a developer is asked specifics he’s not supposed to answer or even when he’s running out of time. It’s part of the game and it happened to me yesterday while speaking with sucker punch, for instance, and i’m sure not going to make a big deal out of it. It’s their job.

In the end, all we can do is to wait and see when driveclub will be released, but i seriously doubt we’ll have to wait that much longer.

Dualshockers

Amazon is now listing this title as having a release date of 09/30/2014. Could be place holder but still! :banghead2:

https://www.facebook.com/driveclubofficial/posts/626525860765111?stream_ref=10

We know you want news about DRIVECLUB. We are going to bring you up to speed with a full ‪#‎DRIVECLUB‬ update soon, because we are immensely proud of how the game is developing and we’re confident you’ll see why when we show you more.

We are also really grateful for your ongoing support and enthusiasm. Your comments, tweets and emails are a huge source of motivation for the team and you keep us fired up and working hard to achieve our ambitions for the game.

Expect an official release date, full game details and new videos in the weeks to come. We'll be here to take questions and to chat to you too, so share a message with us and keep following for more updates. We're looking forward to showing you more!

Release date confirmed for October 7th! :rock:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/embed/ny3JYGXCmFg[/youtube]

Last edited:
Some new info..

DriveClub was delayed 'to perfect dynamic menu', director explains

DriveClub was delayed in order to make sure its dynamic menu - which extends from PlayStation 4 to its mobile companion apps - was as intuitive and powerful as possible, director Paul Rustchynsky says.

Rustchynsky wrote on the PlayStation Blog that while many improvements have been made to the game's handling, visual, and audio, the most significant work was done on its user interface.

"The dynamic menu is key to how much fun you're going to get out of the game because it is the glue that connects you to everyone else in the DriveClub community," he said.

"Whenever you fire up the game; between every race you play, and when you log in to DriveClub on your phone or tablet, the dynamic menu has to be slick to ensure your experience is seamlessly connected. Essentially it's where you discover what to play, and who to play with."

The online racer will be defined by its community, Rustchynsky said, and improving the dynamic menu also means making the game's eponymous clubs more accessible.

Evolution Studios has elected to halve the maximum number of members in any given club: while they originally supported 12, now only six can join up to socialize and compete. Rustchynsky says this will promote more tightly knit clubs and will also allow for full club-on-club, 6-on-6 races.

Sony confirmed to us on Tuesday that DriveClub's PlayStation Plus Edition is still on track. Rustchynsky specified that it will be available on the same day as DriveClub's retail release.

Here are Evolution Studios' other areas of focus for its extended development, according to Rustchynsky:

Other areas of improvement
•Visuals - We're constantly improving how stunning the game looks as we continue to optimize visuals and find new ways of pushing PS4. You can see for yourself how it looks right now in the latest video we shared yesterday because all the footage was captured on PS4 from the game. It'll look even better in October.
•Audio - It's absolutely state of the art. We're continuing to refine the authentic sounds that we have for each and every car in the game, and we're going to put together videos that focus on this.
•Driving - It already feels great to play and we're continuing to add further layers to the physics to make it both more accessible for everybody and more sophisticated for experienced racers.
•Clubs - We're making it easier for you to keep up to speed with what's going on in your club as part of the rework on the dynamic menus. We've also tweaked clubs to support up to 6 players instead of 12 (because the game is more fun with tightly-knit clubs and it paves the way for awesome 6-on-6 club races).
•Tour - The difficulty curve for the campaign mode is becoming even smoother as we continue to optimize the vehicle handling and also refine the game's AI for non-player racers.
•Cars & Tracks - More time means more staggeringly detailed cars and exciting tracks, too. If you haven't already, check out the Ferrari in the video released yesterday. There are loads more exciting cars for us to reveal in the coming months.

PS+ version of Driveclub will have 5 tracks (1 country) and 10 cars.

The 18 cars in the new trailer have all been identified...

Driveclub: All the 18 Cars in the New Trailer Identified – Full List and Screenshots Inside | DualShockers

Here’s the full list:

◦Ferrari F12 Berlinetta
◦Pagani Zonda R
◦BAC Mono
◦Aston Martin V12 Vantage S
◦RUF Rt 12 R
◦RUF CTR 3 Clubsport
◦Hennessey Venom GT
◦Koenigsegg Agera R
◦Gumpert Apollo R
◦Audi R8 Coupé
◦McLaren 12C Coupé
◦GTA Spano
◦Savage Rivale
◦Ariel Atom
◦Alfa Romeo 4C
◦Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Coupè Black Series
◦Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupè
◦Marussia B2

Plus there's great screenshots in the link. I'm still going to try and reserve judgement on this game until I play it.

New footage showing day to night transition..

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=KoB8y71lgr0[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=E7Q6BERADcw[/youtube]

Some new media... (DAMNIT!! Why will it not let me post You Tube videos directly anymore?!?!)

qqlcyv.gif

iRW2oDKOrO9Iz.gif

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9JERdfYV1Mo[/youtube]

DRIVECLUB Dev Interview - YouTube

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7sB3B7k7hbY[/youtube]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7sB3B7k7hbY

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7tukq2e17sw[/youtube]

DriveClub: Nilgiri Hills, India - Commentary Free Gameplay! - Eurogamer Preview - YouTube

Driveclub is a game PlayStation fans are likely already pretty familiar with. Originally slated as a PS4 launch title, the socially connected racer has shifted to an October 7th, 2014 release date. But aspiring drivers needn’t fear: the developers at Evolution Studios are making good use of this extra time.

The team at Evolution have been busy ensuring the connected aspects of Driveclub and its interface — dubbed the “dynamic menu” by game director Paul Rustchynsky — are seamlessly integrated into the game. These, in tandem with a companion app launching alongside the game in October, are what will allow Driveclub to realize Evolution’s vision of a truly social racing title.

Having played an earlier incarnation of Driveclub as well as its newest build, I’m in a unique position to be able to see what other differences a few months can make firsthand.

The most immediately apparent upgrade I noticed is in the graphical department. Driveclub has been a stunner since the day it was unveiled, but it’s hard to convey just how much love Evolution have poured into each of Driveclub’s 50 car models and its environments. Vehicles are immaculately crafted in full, native 1080p — right down to the screw heads on the chassis — and that level of detail permeates the rest of the game, too. At the start of each race, your driver enters his chariot (from either the left or right side, depending on the model) and the game drops you into an impressively accurate realization of the car’s cockpit. Gauges light up and the engine roars, whines, or purrs appropriately before the race begins.

Quick audio aside: when recording sound for Driveclub, Evolution used multiple microphones to capture various aural aspects of the interior and exterior of each ride. Headphones highly recommended.

While driving, vistas seem to stretch on into infinity — especially impressive on mountain courses, where distant peaks draw ever nearer as you zoom along the track. Leaves fall off trees during the race, then get kicked up by passing cars. The technical prowess of PS4 combined with the artistic details added by Evolution breathe life into this racer; more than once I had to resist the urge to stop driving and just admire the scenery.

The time of day system in Driveclub is a game-changer: Before a race begins, you’re able to choose not only the time of day, but the rate at which time passes. Speeding the passage of time to 15x, 30x, or even 60x means that you can start the race in the dark, watch the sun rise on lap two, and finish in broad daylight. One standout moment: whipping around a hairpin on a mountain track at dawn, watching the reflection of the rising sun in puddles left by melting snow. Gorgeous.

As a bit of a short attention span gamer, I’m pleased to report that Driveclub finds various ways to foster a continuous sense of progression: not only will you be rewarded for winning races, but throughout the course of each event you’ll be faced with challenges: executing an extra-long drift, maintaining a high average speed, or reaching a specified velocity are a few examples. Each completed goal brings you one step closer to unlocking new cars, events, decals, and more.

Driveclub’s controls are straightforward enough: R2 is your gas pedal and L2 hits the brakes, while the left stick steers and the right stick looks around. One thing I didn’t expect, though, was a motion control scheme that I ended up preferring over the more traditional approach. A quick trip to the options menu lets you enable motion controls, driven by DualShock 4′s built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, and — again, I say this as a classically trained, button-based gamer — it ends up correlating perfectly with the game’s in-car cockpit view. Tilting DualShock 4 left or right and watching your hands on the steering wheel move instantaneously feels perfectly natural, and makes long, soft turns much more graceful (rather than trying to find just the right angle to hold the analog stick at). Of course, traditional controls still feel great, but I think I might end up defaulting to motion controls for this one!

Driveclub is a love letter to automobiles and the art of racing them, and it’s a letter the masterminds at Evolution are clearly pouring their hearts into. Players worldwide can read it for themselves this October when Driveclub launches on PS4.

Driveclub’s controls are straightforward enough: R2 is your gas pedal and L2 hits the brakes, while the left stick steers and the right stick looks around. One thing I didn’t expect, though, was a motion control scheme that I ended up preferring over the more traditional approach. A quick trip to the options menu lets you enable motion controls, driven by DualShock 4′s built-in accelerometer and gyroscope, and — again, I say this as a classically trained, button-based gamer — it ends up correlating perfectly with the game’s in-car cockpit view. Tilting DualShock 4 left or right and watching your hands on the steering wheel move instantaneously feels perfectly natural, and makes long, soft turns much more graceful (rather than trying to find just the right angle to hold the analog stick at). Of course, traditional controls still feel great, but I think I might end up defaulting to motion controls for this one!

This will be the game changer for racing games moving forward. One of the biggest issues I've had in getting into racing games is the unnatural feeling of trying to drive with thumb sticks and buttons.

Most casual fans have had no desire to invest $150+ on a steering column and pedals; myself included.

This will be the game changer for racing games moving forward. One of the biggest issues I've had in getting into racing games is the unnatural feeling of trying to drive with thumb sticks and buttons.

Most casual fans have had no desire to invest $150+ on a steering column and pedals; myself included.

I was reading yesterday an article written by a columnist who got to try it out using the DS4's motion feature and he said it worked flawlessly. He said he ended up sticking with that cotrol scheme because it just felt so much more immersive.

For you audio fanatics out there...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8EEvBkjSCM[/youtube]

Driveclub - Sound Trailer (PS4) - YouTube

Last edited:
new video released plus new screenshots showing off weather effects...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=dF75_VkdeY0[/youtube]

uY6lx9u.jpg

V5uzKrV.jpg

4Scywyi.jpg

z7uVpaW.jpg

6sFtBOu.jpg

wXr9AFU.jpg

ghhV4WJ.jpg

Catbdg8.jpg

VN Store

Back