Xbox One

I feel like console gaming has reached a point where the only upgrades are in graphics and hardware performance. Maybe I'm just getting old. I don't have/make time for modern games anymore. While there were a few games that piqued my interedt here and there, I used my 360 more for classic arcade games than anything else.

The entertainment hub portion is intriguing but it's not something I need. My AppleTV streams anything I want via AirPlay.

I will more than likely pass.

I feel like console gaming has reached a point where the only upgrades are in graphics and hardware performance. Maybe I'm just getting old. I don't have/make time for modern games anymore. While there were a few games that piqued my interedt here and there, I used my 360 more for classic arcade games than anything else.

The entertainment hub portion is intriguing but it's not something I need. My AppleTV streams anything I want via AirPlay.

I will more than likely pass.

I have similar feelings but they are becoming best streaming devices and if they are bluray player to boot it is worth money. I have streamed with other devices then Xbox it is the best quality.

I think it looks really great. I would love it to use in the living room to have everything in front of me. The multitasking feature is very nice, and is a huge selling point to me. Netflix, WatchESPN, Skype and having the Internet on my flat screen are all huge perks. I hope the used game thing isn't true. That's a turn off. But all in all, as long as the system isn't more expensive than a PS4, and Xbox Live membership isn't anymore than it is now, I will eventually own one.

Had no idea they were announcing the new Xbox today......I need to pay more attention to the forums.

So the big news is...you can watch TV and Sports with it?

I wasn't too impressed but then again I knew today would be more of a "meet and great". Still, the name is kind of stupid. Not "Wii U" stupid but not great.

I will be buying an Xbox as my main console again this go around, and the PS will be a wait and see on what changes they make to the Show.

Microsoft has made it clear that they are making a push to further consolidate living room entertainment. They want to control the entire living room; they are attempting to form a monopoly.

They want us to focus on all the neat new tricks and toys while they construct their fence around the consumers.

Gaming will take a back seat moving forward.

Reactions: 1 person
Microsoft has made it clear that they are making a push to further consolidate living room entertainment. They want to control the entire living room; they are attempting to form a monopoly.

They want us to focus on all the neat new tricks and toys while they construct their fence around the consumers.

Gaming will take a back seat moving forward.

Totally agree. I however do no think it makes them evil. It could be a good thing as long as they have a competitor or two.

Interesting, Sony's stock jumped 8% after the XBOX One event according to thesixthaxis. Microsoft fell .02%. I'd say there were some disappointed customers. I think the always on restriction is going to bite them in the butt big time.

I didn't watch the event but from what I've read they seemed to cater it more towards a media piece as opposed to a new-gen game machine.

Last edited:
Interesting, Sony's stock jumped 8% after the XBOX One event according to thesixthaxis. Microsoft fell .02%. I'd say there were some disappointed customers. I think the always on restriction is going to bite them in the butt big time.
I'd assume Sony would get a cut of Xbox One's sold due to Xbox One having a BluRay drive.

edit:
Because of this:

Sony Board Discussing Loeb

I'd assume Sony would get a cut of Xbox One's sold due to Xbox One having a BluRay drive.

edit:
Because of this:

Sony Board Discussing Loeb
Why does everyone always say this? I'll admit Sony does own patents for Blu-ray, but so does many many more companies. In fact, I do believe Samsung is the leader with Blu-ray patents. Heck, Sony was sued by LG a while back for the PS3 drive for Infringement of several of their patents. Sony doesn't own Blu-ray nor do they run and control everything related to Blu-ray. Blu-ray came to life much like DVD before it. The Xbox has DVD capabilities right, well, many of the same companies were part of the DVD as there are to Blu-ray (Sony, Phillips, Hitachi, and Pioneer were all involved with the development of DVD and Blu-ray). They'll have to pay royalties to those companies for Blu-ray just the same as they do for DVD.

The only thing Sony owns is the Blu-ray logo. Blu-ray is owned by 17 companies called Blu-ray Disc Association.

Last edited:
Why does everyone always say this? I'll admit Sony does own patents for Blu-ray, but so does many many more companies. In fact, I do believe Samsung is the leader with Blu-ray patents. Heck, Sony was sued by LG a while back for the PS3 drive for Infringement of several of their patents. Sony doesn't own Blu-ray nor do they run and control everything related to Blu-ray. Blu-ray came to life much like DVD before it. The Xbox has DVD capabilities right, well, many of the same companies were part of the DVD as there are to Blu-ray (Sony, Phillips, Hitachi, and Pioneer were all involved with the development of DVD and Blu-ray). They'll have to pay royalties to those companies for Blu-ray just the same as they do for DVD.

The only thing Sony owns is the Blu-ray logo. Blu-ray is owned by 17 companies called Blu-ray Disc Association.

Looked it up, Sony will get a cut from the BluRay Association but it'll be negligible.

Looked it up, Sony will get a cut from the BluRay Association but it'll be negligible.
Of course they will, they're part of the Blu-ray Association, but so will Apple, Dell, Samsung, HP, Pioneer etc. I do believe Panasonic owns the most shares so they stand to make the most. I guarantee Microsoft makes more from licensing Windows to Sony so they can use it in their laptops.

I didn't watch the event but from what I've read they seemed to cater it more towards a media piece as opposed to a new-gen game machine.

At the event they stated that the "always on" rumors were false. TIFWIW.

At the event they stated that the "always on" rumors were false. TIFWIW.
"Always on" isn't the right phrase. You have to connect once per 24hrs. Kotaku article with Phil Harrison(Microsoft vice president).

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?
Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.
Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.
Harrison: Correct.
Games will be tied to accounts so if you want to take your game over to a friends, you have to take your account with you. They haven't revealed how the used game market will work other than there will be one and a fee will be required for used games. It sucks for my little cousins who don't even use the online function (nor can afford it) and my nephew. They love their Xbox, and most of their games come from the used market.

I could care less as I play very few games and I usually buy them new. I just think this is a bad move. I'm not sure if Microsoft took a look into how many Xbox players don't even get online. Xbox Live has 40+ million memberships but 80 million Xboxes have been sold. Then you have to take that number down a notch for people with multiple accounts.

Sony didn't even consider "always on" as an option and they have more than twice as many PSN memberships(it's free and PSP users get counted as well). From the looks of it, Sony is going to wipe the floor with the Xbox this time around. They seem to be catering to the gamer and Microsoft seems to be catering to media centric users. Plus Sony's hardware is slightly better.

Last edited:
If the rumors about fees between borrowing games is true, there is no way in hell I buy the xbox

If the rumors about fees between borrowing games is true, there is no way in hell I buy the xbox
It's not a rumor. It's confirmed.

"While Phil [Harrison] discussed many potential scenarios around games on Xbox One, today we have only confirmed that we designed Xbox One to enable our customers to trade in and resell games at retail"

Another dandy.

"There are many devices in your life that require the Internet to function, Xbox One is no different in that it requires, at some point in the beginning and at various times through its on state, to connect to our cloud and to our Internet."

Yeah, but he failed to mention those device can't function without internet.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y508_rXPogQ[/youtube]

Last edited:
Who doesn't have the internet? Who the F brings their xbox camping with them? The only time I don't have internet access, when i have my console nearby, is when the power is out.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back