Jalen Hurd's version

Good article. If he wanted to change positions and Jones nixed it... I don't blame him for transferring. BUT... he still should've stayed and played the rest of the season with his teammates. NO REASON whatsoever to leave in the middle of a season the way he did.

BTW... is it surprising that Butch Jones couldn't deal with it better than refuse the change? He had Kelly AND Kamara for God's Sake. The running game would've been fine.

Jones and his staff were truly dunces, IMO.

Reactions: 7 people
Didn't someone on here say that Hurd would be a better TE than RB and we all preceded to make fun of him???

Welp... egg meet face.

Reactions: Bubbs
Good article. If he wanted to change positions and Jones nixed it... I don't blame him for transferring. BUT... he still should've stayed and played the rest of the season with his teammates. NO REASON whatsoever to leave in the middle of a season the way he did.

BTW... is it surprising that Butch Jones couldn't deal with it better than refuse the change? He had Kelly AND Kamara for God's Sake. The running game would've been fine.

Jones and his staff were truly dunces, IMO.

It's kind of hard to pin this against Butch considering Hurd played RB in HS and had rushed for over 2000 yards in 2 seasons in College.

Kind of hard to be like hey Hurd you know what we recruited you as a RB and you are putting up some amazing numbers but you know what let's forget all that and play you at receiver.....

Again don't think Jones did well in this program but can't pin this one on him.

Reactions: 1 person
I wish him luck at Baylor but he quit during the middle of a game....He put the UT in qUiT.

He hasn't played TE yet so tap your brakes.

I know he's playing WR... my point was he ended up changing positions to "Catch" the ball and from the sounds of Baylor's coaches, he could have a huge impact moreso than at RB.

But you're right... we shall see how this story turns out soon.

A whole lot of revisionist history and inaccuracies in this article. Wish Jalen all the success in the world, but this piece portrays him as much more humble and selfless than he actually is.

Reactions: 6 people
He was always a RB just not a good fit for the system at the time. Lots of reasons he is now a WR at Baylor but you can put your "told you sos" in a bag and throw them in the river.

Reactions: 2 people
It's kind of hard to pin this against Butch considering Hurd played RB in HS and had rushed for over 2000 yards in 2 seasons in College.

Kind of hard to be like hey Hurd you know what we recruited you as a RB and you are putting up some amazing numbers but you know what let's forget all that and play you at receiver.....

Again don't think Jones did well in this program but can't pin this one on him.

Hurd is a fantastic athlete that could play multiple positions. If he doesn't want to play RB after busting his ass in doing so... let him make the change. Its' a COACH's job to figure out a way to KEEP the great ones motivated and effective.

BTW... I wasn't the one who said he should be a TE, if that's what you're "hinting".

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
There is a lot of blame to go around here....

Butch changed S&C, had his buddies in over their head coaching OL, the culture changed, and the OL was getting manhandled by teams such as Ap State (Which led to Hurd getting beat up more than he should have). Butch had Kamara who was getting 8 carries a game and Kelly behind Hurd yet failed to make any adjustments....

Hurd has plenty of blame as well. He got his feelings hurt and quit during the middle of a game. It's one thing to quit after the season (understandable) and even another to quit after a game...it's entirely something else to quit during a game.

Reactions: 5 people
I really don't understand all the animosity towards him. Given all we now know about how Butch mismanaged almost every facet of the football program here, I don't see how anyone could blame any player for leaving to better himself. Seems that if there is anyone to be angry at here, it's Butch. If Hurd does well at Baylor, then it just indicates how much Butch was in over his head here.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I wish him the best, but you can't put lipstick on a pig after the fact. No matter how you spin it, the guy ended up on the bench halfway through the South Carolina game. He left the team soon after. That's not a good look. This one play sums up his career here for me:

Georgia Bulldogs Hit on Jalen Hurd - YouTube

Reactions: 1 person
Do y'all in Hurd's corner not remember him and his family coming out and bashing Kamara and the rest of the team?

Reactions: 4 people
I was very critical of Hurd for quiting on his team and rightfully so. However, after finding out more about Jomes, the thought of wrong on both sides of a split does come to mind. Jones probably treated this kid like crap like we have found out he did to many others. Jones later became a quitter as well. Would not surprise me at all if Hurd does well. Should not have quit on his team but his coach was a real idiot.

The funny thing about the Hurd situation is that Alvin Kamara seems like the RB that should have the biggest beef with Butch, not Hurd.

We've heard so many different things - Butch told Hurd that he'd change his offense to better suit him and did not, Butch wouldn't let Hurd change positions, etc. But the fact is that Hurd was our starting RB and got the majority of the carries until the day he quit, despite average far less YPC than Kamara and Kamara being such an obvious better fit for the offense they were running.

Butch was a horrible coach, and if he actually told Hurd he was going to change the offense and did not then he shouldn't have (although Hurd is an idiot for believing him), but Hurd comes off as nothing more than a petulant child. The straw that broke the camel's back appeared to be him getting chewed out for prancing into the end zone during the Georgia game, he got his feelings hurt, then quit a few weeks later. Hurd was a bad teammate mishandled by a bad coaching staff...what a combo.

VN Store

Back