Gundy's AD: recruiting improvement needed

VolsFan-TX

ESPN posted a story quoting the Oklahoma State AD comments about Mike Gundy saying, "He's really matured into a difference maker as a coach."

Sounds good, but then he followed that with, "I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does. I'd want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you're able to achieve."

"I would just say, 'Mike, you've got to change your thinking on recruiting a little bit.' That would be all. I think sometimes we settle when we don't have to. But I'm not out there recruiting, and I have no idea how to recruit football players."

Not a good statement from your AD. With Pruitt's recent success, I hope we don't have to see Fulmer making a similar comment about stepping up the recruiting activity.

Oklahoma State AD Mike Holder wants Mike Gundy to recruit better

ESPN posted a story quoting the Oklahoma State AD comments about Mike Gundy saying, "He's really matured into a difference maker as a coach."

Sounds good, but then he followed that with, "I would approach recruiting a little differently than he does. I'd want to finish higher in those recruiting rankings than we consistently do. I think that ultimately puts a ceiling on what you're able to achieve."

"I would just say, 'Mike, you've got to change your thinking on recruiting a little bit.' That would be all. I think sometimes we settle when we don't have to. But I'm not out there recruiting, and I have no idea how to recruit football players."

Not a good statement from your AD. With Pruitt's recent success, I hope we don't have to see Fulmer making a similar comment about stepping up the recruiting activity.

Oklahoma State AD Mike Holder wants Mike Gundy to recruit better

Ssssssttttttttttttrrrrrrrrreeeeeeetttttttttcccccchhhhh

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Don't see it. Not being able to crack the top 30 in recruiting isn't going to win you many games in the SEC.

Yeah. Gundy would have been another in the series of not gonna cut it coaches. I think he would've been better than Butch and Dools combined but not good enough by far. Pruitt is that dude IMO.

Admit it. Would’ve been a home run hire...nationally hailed. Currie extended, Haslam ecstatic, majority of VN (cept Bruin) high fiving, he would be on most top 5 new hires lists...THEN like Chip Kelly and Dan Mullen, the most important requirement of a SEC HC manifests...:nono: I think he would have landed some surprises in the inaugural early signing period but in the long haul or even immediate next season, his ill fit would show imo.

Reactions: 3 people
Recruiting to TN is different. Neither had Butch or Dooley

Butch and Dooley were not at P5 schools prior to their hiring at UT. I would never expect Cincinnati not LA-Lafayette to crack the top 30. OK State on the other hand has had some modicum of success and should be able to at least flirt with the top 30 every year. JMO though.

Reactions: 2 people
Recruiting to TN is different. Neither had Butch or Dooley

He’s at an upper level Big 12 school with practically unlimited big money booster support. If he was a SEC level recruiter...it would’ve showed by now. He’s a Mullen with a mullet.

He’s at an upper level Big 12 school with practically unlimited big money booster support. If he was a SEC level recruiter...it would’ve showed by now. He’s a Mullen with a mullet.

How’d Miles recruit at Okie?

How’d Miles recruit at Okie?

Miles was there for four seasons and never topped 9 wins. Gundy’s been there 13 and AVERAGED 9 with 6 seasons of 10 or more (and a 12 win for the star). Still want to do that? :huh:

Miles was there for four seasons and never topped 9 wins. Gundy’s been there 13 and AVERAGED 9 with 6 seasons of 10 or more (and a 12 win for the star). Still want to do that? :huh:

Well since you didn’t want to do the research I’ll do it for you.

21, 24, 31, 51 were his recruiting classes.

Looks on average to be a tick better than Gundy. Do those recruiting classes scream SEC level recruiter to you?

Well since you didn’t want to do the research I’ll do it for you.

21, 24, 31, 51 were his recruiting classes.

Looks on average to be a tick better than Gundy. Do those recruiting classes scream SEC level recruiter to you?

How does that change what I posted? Les Miles has proven to be a SEC level recruiter and he didn’t meet the high standard of Gundy’s coaching AT Stillwater. Still outperformed him. Jimmy Johnson improved recruiting every season and left Pat Jones a load team and kept doing his great recruiting at the U. Good recruiters don’t sneak up on you. Gundy isn’t.

I still would have been happy if Gundy was hired to be our next HC.

How does that change what I posted? Les Miles has proven to be a SEC level recruiter and he didn’t meet the high standard of Gundy’s coaching AT Stillwater. Still outperformed him. Jimmy Johnson improved recruiting every season and left Pat Jones a load team and kept doing his great recruiting at the U. Good recruiters don’t sneak up on you. Gundy isn’t.

How does this change what I posted? Miles wasn’t an SEC level recruiter as Okie, went to the SEC, and magically brought in consistent top 3 SEC level classes.

It’s almost like every coach recruits better when he gets to a top school in the top conference in football. Crazy concept, I know.

VN Store

Back