D4H's 2018 NBA Draft Preview

Dobbs 4 Heisman

Its still very early in my evaluation process, but as of right now my #1 rated prospect in the 2018 NBA Draft is Chandler Hutchison (Boise St). Yes you read that right. He's a super athletic 6'7" SF that reminds me a lot of Scottie Pippen on tape. I like DeAndre Ayton and Mo Bamba a lot as well. They are currently my #2 and #3 rated players. But I just think Hutchison has the chance to be a Scottie Pippen clone in the NBA. And since I consider Scottie Pippen to be one of the ten best players in NBA history, I must have Chandler Hutchison as my #1 rated prospect in the 2018 NBA Draft.

Here's Chandler Hutchison in action for those that haven't seen him play:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QB8Tso9Tws[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XqQXH78CEw[/youtube]

Its crazy how much his game resembles Scottie Pippen. Whoever gets him in the draft this year will be getting one of the biggest steals in NBA history.

Damn, nice find. 🔥

I was watching ESPN's draft preview show when I saw some quick highlights of him. I had never seen or heard of him before. What caught my attention was how much his game and body looked like Scottie Pippen. It wasn't until I saw tape of him playing a full game that I became confident in him being potentially the best player in this draft.

Hutchison is currently projected to go in the late 1st round of the 2018 NBA Draft. Apparently a team picking in the 20-30 range has promised to draft him. Most people think its the Chicago Bulls. How ironic would it be if a Scottie Pippen clone gets drafted by Pippen's former team? With that said, I believe that Hutchison ultimately gets drafted earlier than he's currently being projected. I have a feeling someone will see his incredible talent and take him earlier. Most likely in the lottery.

I like Hutchison too, but he's 22 and if he's so long, athletic, and defensively capable, why are his block numbers so disappointing? Something is wrong there. Zhaire Smith is a guy I hope my Jazz consider late in the first round. He's 19, 6' 5", and averaged 5x as many blocks as the taller Hutchison (in the Big 12).

Last edited:
I was watching ESPN's draft preview show when I saw some quick highlights of him. I had never seen or heard of him before. What caught my attention was how much his game and body looked like Scottie Pippen. It wasn't until I saw tape of him playing a full game that I became confident in him being potentially the best player in this draft.

Hutchison is currently projected to go in the late 1st round of the 2018 NBA Draft. Apparently a team picking in the 20-30 range has promised to draft him. Most people think its the Chicago Bulls. How ironic would it be if a Scottie Pippen clone gets drafted by Pippen's former team? With that said, I believe that Hutchison ultimately gets drafted earlier than he's currently being projected. I have a feeling someone will see his incredible talent and take him earlier. Most likely in the lottery.

Coincidence, not irony. Irony is when you get the opposite of what you expect, but there is no expectation about where he will land. :good!:

I like Hutchison too, but he's 22 and if he's so long, athletic, and defensively capable, why are his block numbers so disappointing? Something is wrong there. Zhaire Smith is a guy I hope my Jazz consider late in the first round. He's 19, 6' 5", and averaged 5x as many blocks as the taller Hutchison (in the Big 12).

Kyle Kuzma was 22 last year as well. How did that pick work out for the Lakers? This guy is way better than Kuzma.

I don't know about the block numbers. That's an interesting point. I'll have to watch more tape on him.

Kyle Kuzma was 22 last year as well. How did that pick work out for the Lakers? This guy is way better than Kuzma.

I don't know about the block numbers. That's an interesting point. I'll have to watch more tape on him.

Age doesn't mean they aren't ready. In fact it means they are more nba ready, all else being equal. What it likely (not always) means is he's closer to his ceiling than a 19 YO.

Hutchinson projects as a good role player and he’ll be an option for the Wolves at 20. We could definitely use the help on the perimeter

Pippen a top 10 all time player? No. Great. Yes . Not top 10.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Pippen a top 10 all time player? No. Great. Yes . Not 10 ten.

I don't judge players based on hype, stats, or rings. I watch the tape and judge their impact on the game as well as their skills and ability. Scottie Pippen is easily one of the 10 best players in NBA history. He's the greatest perimeter defender of all-time. Put him on any wing in NBA history and he's locking them up. His length and athleticism are unparalleled. He's also one of the best point forwards of all-time. As good as it gets passing the ball and pushing the pace full court after a rebound. His footwork in the post was also elite for perimeter player.

My Top 10 NBA Players (based on watching them play):

1. Michael Jordan
2. Kobe Bryant
3. Hakeem Olajuwon
4. Shaquille O'Neal
5. LeBron James
6. Scottie Pippen
7. David Robinson
8. Tracy McGrady
9. Kevin Garnett
10. Kevin Durant

This list doesn't include players before the 1990s because I never got to see them play in their prime so I would be doing them an injustice to try and rank them. So out of fairness I have omitted them.

T-Mac was probably the best wing talent in the period between MJ and Lebron, but he never realized his potential.

Wait, now he's a basketball expert too!? It's just not fair for one human to have this much insight.

Reactions: 4 people
I would put Penny, AI, Kidd, Barkley, Karl Malone, Dirk, D Wade ,Grant Hill (if healthy) easily ahead of tmac. Don’t get me started on where Magic and Bird belong on this list. I know he said players that he watched, but those 2 are top 5 no matter what era .

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Kobe #2 and TMac #8?lol

According to many NBA players, Kobe Bryant is #2 all-time.

Dwyane Wade calls Kobe Bryant the 'second best' player in NBA history - AXS
Kevin Durant says Kobe Bryant is the GOAT (along with Jordan) - CBSSports.com
Scottie Pippen: Kobe Bryant second only to Michael Jordan in past few decades
Lots of NBA players think Kobe is the second greatest player ever, I can see why : lakers

I would consider Dwyane Wade, Kevin Durant, and Scottie Pippen's opinions about basketball to be pretty valid. If they say Kobe is second only to Jordan (and in Durant's case his equal), I would listen to them. Especially above the media.

Also don't think its just them 3. I just didn't have the time to go digging for all the links and quotes of other NBA players. There are many more who agree with them. Just yesterday Vince Carter was on First Take and essentially said Jordan is #1, Kobe is #2, and LeBron is trying to catch them. Allen Iverson a few weeks ago posted a video on Instagram wondering why the media was leaving Kobe out of the GOAT debate. Tracy McGrady said the same thing on ESPN a few weeks ago as well.

Its the media that has tried to put Kobe in the rear view mirror as they try to make the GOAT conversation just about Jordan and LeBron. When it comes to their PEERS, the guys who would know better than everyone else since they compete with them, the GOAT debate is actually between Jordan and Kobe moreso than Jordan and LeBron.

According to NBA players, its Jordan at #1 and Kobe at #2 all-time.

Reactions: 1 person
That Wade article says Lebron is #2 and Pippen has said Lebron probably surpassed MJ, that he himself was better than Lebron, and then ripped Zeke for saying that lebron was better than mj. He's all over the place.

Kobe was a great talent but he was primarily a scorer who didn't score very efficiently. How can you be considered that great and not score efficiently? It's like calling someone who hit .265 a great hitter. Outside of two great finals runs without Shaq, his career is severely overrated.

Honestly, players have some crazy ideas. Barkley is my favorite player of all time but his analysis is garbage. Magic calls Kobe the greatest Laker...Magic is, hands down. Kobe is probably 5th.

Honestly, players have some crazy ideas. Barkley is my favorite player of all time but his analysis is garbage. Magic calls Kobe the greatest Laker...Magic is, hands down. Kobe is probably 5th.

I think Kobe was a great defender. He was all around a great player when he felt like it. I wouldn’t put him 5th.

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Kobe
Shaq
West
Kurt Rambus
AC Green
Michale Cooper

Take your pick

I think Kobe was a great defender. He was all around a great player when he felt like it. I wouldn’t put him 5th.

Wilt
Kareem
Magic
Kobe
Shaq
West
Kurt Rambus
AC Green
Michale Cooper

Take your pick

Kobe no doubt was a great all around talent. Top 5 wing talent for sure. He also worked so hard at the game, he was an alpha, and he was never afraid of the moment. But...

He was primarily known as a scorer and he wasn't very efficient. Pretty much anybody else in the all time great scoring convo was very efficient. He choked away the 2004 finals and then he chased off Shaq. He probably cost the Lakers 2-4 more titles they should have had with Shaq. He is so incredibly lucky that they were able to pick up Gasol, and to his credit, he took his team to two titles, but that puts him in the IT conversation, IMO. Not the GOAT conversation.

Kobe no doubt was a great all around talent. Top 5 wing talent for sure. He also worked so hard at the game, he was an alpha, and he was never afraid of the moment. But...

He was primarily known as a scorer and he wasn't very efficient. Pretty much anybody else in the all time great scoring convo was very efficient. He choked away the 2004 finals and then he chased off Shaq. He probably cost the Lakers 2-4 more titles they should have had with Shaq. He is so incredibly lucky that they were able to pick up Gasol, and to his credit, he took his team to two titles, but that puts him in the IT conversation, IMO. Not the GOAT conversation.

Come on, no Kurt Rambus retort ?

VN Store

Back