Iowa's Schedule...

Doesn't get much easier than this, but I'm sure they'll be happy with a 7-5 record.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1527857791248.jpg
    FB_IMG_1527857791248.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 21
It looks like the last two games got cut off.

Nov. 17 @ Illinois

Nov. 24 Nebraska

Yes, it is a soft schedule. To play in the Big Ten without having to face Ohio State, Michigan State or Michigan and your best out of conference opponent is Iowa State by a mile?

Why pick on Iowa? The B1G west is a mess and if a team in the division happens to miss Ohio State in the cross-division schedule you are gold with the CCG. The only division in power 5 considered weaker for the last decade is the SEC East. :eek:

Reactions: 1 person
Why pick on Iowa? The B1G west is a mess and if a team in the division happens to miss Ohio State in the cross-division schedule you are gold with the CCG. The only division in power 5 considered weaker for the last decade is the SEC East. :eek:

As bad as Butch Jones was, he crapped all over the Big Ten West Division:

2015 TaxSlayer Bowl: Tennessee 45 Iowa 28

2016 Outback Bowl: Tennessee 45 Northwestern 6

2016 Music City Bowl: Tennessee 38 Nebraska 24

Considered weaker by who?

Reactions: 7 people

tenor.gif

Reactions: 3 people

I've never put too much stock in regular bowl games but you can't find fault in the way Butch had his teams prepared for the bowl games.

If I'm Butch's agent I'm showing every B1G 10 West team with a possible job opening highlights from those 3 wins.

I realize Josh Dobbs was a huge factor those games but still. It's Butch's best work while in Knoxville.

I'm discussing the worst power 5 division for the last decade and you are fixated on your team. That might be the disconnect.

Why not just Google worst power 5 division in college football? (Spoiler alert: They'll be talking about Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri, SC, Tennessee, Florida)

This thread is discussing Iowa. Why bring up the SEC East?

Reactions: 8 people
I'm discussing the worst power 5 division for the last decade and you are fixated on your team. That might be the disconnect.

Why not just Google worst power 5 division in college football? (Spoiler alert: They'll be talking about Kentucky, Vandy, Missouri, SC, Tennessee, Florida)

BIg 10 West has been way worse overall, the SEC East has stunk, but nothing beats the Big 10 West.

Teams in the Big 10 West have regularly lost to MAC teams the past decade lol

Reactions: 2 people

It's all cyclical. The East ruled the conference and the West was horrid. It will cycle through again where the East is better than the West.

It's all cyclical. The East ruled the conference and the West was horrid. It will cycle through again where the East is better than the West.

It will never be "cyclical" as a division. The east has always been top heavy. It will continue to be. Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, SC, doesn't have the football DNA to challenge the top tier for more than 5 minutes.

It will never be "cyclical" as a division. The east has always been top heavy. It will continue to be. Missouri, Vandy, Kentucky, SC, doesn't have the football DNA to challenge the top tier for more than 5 minutes.

Neither do Arkansas, Miss St, or Ole Miss. Texas A&M, despite their reputation and high expectations, actually doesn't have a particularly storied football history either.

I suppose A&M has a "football DNA" but their expectations are largely a function of the fact they are a huge school in Texas and have a ton of money, not because they have experienced a lot of historical success as a program.

Last edited:
Neither do Arkansas, Miss St, or Ole Miss. Texas A&M, despite their reputation and high expectations, actually doesn't have a particularly storied football history either.

I suppose A&M has a "football DNA" but their expectations are largely a function of the fact they are a huge school in Texas and have a ton of money, not because they have experienced a lot of historical success as a program.

A&M expectations is also a product of elite recruiting. 4 teams recruiting at an elite level in the West with a few others that can reload and scare a few along the way.

In a perfect world, at least one that can read a map, the barn should be in the east and then you can send that sorry Missouri bunch to the West. Amazing to think that by doing the geographically right thing, we've also managed to do the right cyclical thing. Silly SEC.

A&M expectations is also a product of elite recruiting. 4 teams recruiting at an elite level in the West with a few others that can reload and scare a few along the way.

In a perfect world, at least one that can read a map, the barn should be in the east and then you can send that sorry Missouri bunch to the West. Amazing to think that by doing the geographically right thing, we've also managed to do the right cyclical thing. Silly SEC.

Isn't the reason that hasn't happened is because it would mean the end of The Third Saturday in October? The Iron Bowl would become (presumably) a permanent cross-division game, which Tennessee/Alabama is now.

Isn't the reason that hasn't happened is because it would mean the end of The Third Saturday in October? The Iron Bowl would become (presumably) a permanent cross-division game, which Tennessee/Alabama is now.

I'm sure it is. All things change in time. This week alone concerning conference grad transfers, the few telling the many what to do may be going the way of the Dodo bird.

Maybe sitting around waiting for the old codgers on the BOTs to finally give up the ghost doesn't sound like a great gameplan anymore.

I'm sure it is. All things change in time. This week alone concerning conference grad transfers, the few telling the many what to do may be going the way of the Dodo bird.

Maybe sitting around waiting for the old codgers on the BOTs to finally give up the ghost doesn't sound like a great gameplan anymore.

There's a difference between stupid grad transfer rules and getting rid of a long-standing rivalry game that both schools seemingly want to keep, even if that game hasn't been competitive in a decade.

The last year Tennessee and Alabama didn't play each other was 1943, and the only notable gap of time in the rivalry where no game was played was 1914 - 1928. So for all intents and purposes the game has "always" been played in the minds of the fans; it isn't a recent "tradition." Hard to get rid of.

VN Store

Back