NCAA = Slavery You can't make this stuff up

It’s such a terrible analogy. Especially in her sons case. The NCAA rules are archaic and can be changed, but she needs to just keep her mouth shut . All she is doing is hurting Wendell.

Let see....
World class education worth $75 K a year, health insurance, some of the most skilled doctors in the world, room and board, team nutritionist and chefs everyday while on campus at your multi million dollar team common area, world class training facilities that are better than 95% of the teams in the NBA, maximum TV exposure to showcase your talents, private planes that take you all over the country and around the globe to play basketball. Not to mention the lifelong connections made with powerful people at Duke University. Sounds awful doesn’t it? Now he has the opportunity to go have an 8 figure salary by the time he is 19 years old.

So tired of people casually throwing around words like slavery, Nazi, holocaust or Hitler when describing something they don’t like or agree with. The NCAA needs to change some, but nobody makes these kids sign an LOI, they know what they’re signing up for.

Reactions: 21 people
The only thing wrong with the current system is no caps on athletic department spending. 7 million for a coach? Why? There are literally thousands of coaches who would take these jobs for less than 1 million. Donations, ticket prices and salaries are spiraling out of control. Everything needs to be capped by the NCAA for fairness and also to save college athletics.

Reactions: 1 person
The only thing wrong with the current system is no caps on athletic department spending. 7 million for a coach? Why? There are literally thousands of coaches who would take these jobs for less than 1 million. Donations, ticket prices and salaries are spiraling out of control. Everything needs to be capped by the NCAA for fairness and also to save college athletics.

The difference is that thousands of coaches can’t do what Nick Saban does. He’s worth every single penny he gets paid because of all the revenue he brings to Bama, Urban, same thing with K, Roy, now Jay Wright.

Of all the issues with college athletics, coaches' salaries don't even sniff the top of the list.

Reactions: 2 people
Reactions: 4 people
Easy fix to this "problem"

Do away with athletic scholarships. Only scholarships are academic.

Then we will see how "unfair" the system really is for athletes. I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about paying athletes and all this horse $hi%. They (and I) get their education paid for because they are good at a sport. Give me a break

How much revenue do you figure you and your team generate compared to a major college football or basketball program?

Easy fix to this "problem"

Do away with athletic scholarships. Only scholarships are academic.

Then we will see how "unfair" the system really is for athletes. I'm so sick and tired of people complaining about paying athletes and all this horse $hi%. They (and I) get their education paid for because they are good at a sport. Give me a break

Or how about just doing away with the one year out of high school requirement for the NBA draft and go back to the way it was when Kobe, Lebron, Dwight Howard and many others went straight to the NBA. That should kill this whining. You hate the NCAA system and want to start earning money right away? Great! You don't have to go to college. Just go straight to the NBA draft and hopefully you get drafted and make a roster. If not, go play overseas... If you can't catch on overseas, go to the NBA developmental league. If you catch on there either? You should have gone to college and been happy with your free education and kept your mouth shut.

Reactions: 8 people
How much revenue do you figure you and your team generate compared to a major college football or basketball program?

It has nothing to do with revenue generated by any sport. Athletes get so much more than the avg student. They need to stop whining about not having money for basic things. "Regular" students can get jobs, which does put money in their pocket, which goes to paying for their own education.

And that revenue generated by football/basketball is great. Go look at the training rooms, locker rooms, casual areas, ect.....that they have compared to the regular student.

And that revenue generated by football/basketball is great. Go look at the training rooms, locker rooms, casual areas, ect.....that they have compared to the regular student.

So you'd work for an employer who offered to pay you in free education and access to a sweet gym?

So you'd work for an employer who offered to pay you in free education and access to a sweet gym?

Are you comparing the University/student relationship to that of Business/employee? It's not apparent to me where you are going with that but it's apples to oranges if so. Their missions are completely different.

Reactions: 7 people
Are you comparing the University/student relationship to that of Business/employee? It's not apparent to me where you are going with that but it's apples to oranges if so. Their missions are completely different.

The relationship between student-athlete and school is more akin to employer/employee than it is to regular student/school.

Reactions: 3 people
It's a bad analogy for the most part, but slaves were compensated too. They had health care, room and board, even educated them, and brought them to Christ. Can't beat salvation.

There are parallels because a system has been created that denies people the ability to negotiate fair compensation for the product of their labor. In that sense, it is like slavery.

It's a bad comparison because they are free to do other things and actual slavery was 100x more distasteful.

Come on....... You know exactly what I'm talking about and you're not that stupid.

Not even close to the same thing.

It's a bad analogy for the most part, but slaves were compensated too. They had health care, room and board, even educated them, and brought them to Christ. Can't beat salvation.

There are parallels because a system has been created that denies people the ability to negotiate fair compensation for the product of their labor. In that sense, it is like slavery.

It's a bad comparison because they are free to do other things and actual slavery was 100x more distasteful.

This is definitely not true for all slaves or even the majority of them. And you left out the most obscene thing: Slaves had no rights. A slave owner was free to physically beat the slave and often would if the slave refused to work or otherwise disappointed his owner... not to mention the number of female slaves who were raped.

It is a dreadful comparison.

Reactions: 2 people

Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dumber....

Reactions: 3 people

Absolutely I would have played a sport for free education and the many other perks. Oh yeah and I’m 18. Sign me up.

Great comparison.

VN Store

Back