Kirby Smart getting new 7-year $49M deal

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
According to Mark Schlabach of ESPN.

Discuss.

Saban money for a guy who has yet to display sustained superior performance as a HC. With that being said, UGA should be the favorite to win the East for at least the next 2 years.

Reactions: 1 person
GA being anointed the new bama.

As yogi once said, I’ll believe it, when I believe it

Same deal that Malzahn got. With those recruiting classes, UGA is set to dominate the east for the forseeable future.

timing seems odd to me. was there talk of him leaving this summer? was his contract running out? was someone going to hire him away this summer? Seems like it would have been smarter (no pun intended) to wait for the season. I don't see them taking a big hit, just seems like a bad business plan.

Reactions: 2 people
Saban money for a guy who has yet to display sustained superior performance as a HC. With that being said, UGA should be the favorite to win the East for at least the next 2 years.

what else is new.....

It’s Urban/Harbaugh money. Still quite a bit shy of Saban money.

He still had Richts players except for Fromm -- UGA may have jumped the gun, he wasnt going anywhere else anyway

timing seems odd to me. was there talk of him leaving this summer? was his contract running out? was someone going to hire him away this summer? Seems like it would have been smarter (no pun intended) to wait for the season. I don't see them taking a big hit, just seems like a bad business plan.

None of the above. But watching colleges throw money at potential alone is really shocking. You would think 7 mil/year would be reserved for HCs that have climbed the mountain and have had some sustained success in doing it, or at least be Jim Harbaugh and come in with an NFL pedigree of worth.

As crazy as some of this money tossing is getting the barn still baffles the mind. Gus was on the proverbial hot seat going into the end of the season and the picture after 5 seasons and stuck in a bunch of 8 & 5, 9 &4 cycles almost every year was looking dismal. He catches lightning in a bottle for 2 home games and he's not only off the hot seat but making 7 mil a year and for the distant future is unfirable.

College football has lost their collective fiscal mind. They are so worried about coaches that aren't going anywhere they overpay at the mere thought of being left at the altar.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, that hasn't worked out for them though. Not at what they are paying him.

Nothing will, short of winning in the long run. I would say the long run is here for Jimbo. He needs to win a B1G division fast and follow that up with a B1G championship with a win over Ohio State in the process. No pressure.

Kirby is making an average of $7m over the life of the deal; Saban made almost $11m last year.

I think mikey is right; it is kind of curious why Georgia was so quick/eager to give him an extension because it isn't like he is going anywhere else. From their perspective I wouldn't see the harm in letting his initial contract get closer to expiration and see if he can keep this going.

They wanted to get it done before SEC media days..

Greasy Muschamp will win SEc East. Probably with 3. Losses again too. "Bama Bangs" and Fromm will struggle without Chubb and Micheal to bale him out.

Greasy Muschamp will win SEc East. Probably with 3. Losses again too. "Bama Bangs" and Fromm will struggle without Chubb and Micheal to bale him out.

Swift graded out as the second best true freshman back according to PFF and UGA just signed 2 five star backs. The run game may take a step back, but acting like it’ll be nonexistent is a bit much.

As crazy as some of this money tossing is getting the barn still baffles the mind. Gus was on the proverbial hot seat going into the end of the season and the picture after 5 seasons and stuck in a bunch of 8 & 5, 9 &4 cycles almost every year was looking dismal. He catches lightning in a bottle for 2 home games and he's not only off the hot seat but making 7 mil a year and for the distant future is unfirable.

Gus has more than proven now that if he doesn't have a great QB, his teams will be very mediocre, now matter how good the rest of the team actually is. Of course, every team is better with a great QB, but I think it is kind of a liability that you're virtually guaranteed to be mediocre or worse if you don't have a great one.

The defense on their 2016 team was quite good, for example, but they went 8-5 (5-3) anyway.

None of the above. But watching colleges throw money at potential alone is really shocking. You would think 7 mil/year would be reserved for HCs that have climbed the mountain and have had some sustained success in doing it, or at least be Jim Harbaugh and come in with an NFL pedigree of worth.

College football has lost their collective fiscal mind. They are so worried about coaches that aren't going anywhere they overpay at the mere thought of being left at the altar.

let me know when AD are going broke from what they pay Football coaches and you will have an argument. for most big schools football, and the coach's pay, are net positives.

South Carolina gets the benefit of a schedule with UGA coming to Columbia and pulling Ole Miss from the West, while UGA has to travel to USCjr, Mizzou (who has given them fits in the past) and they have to travel to LSU which is never easy, no matter what. I wouldn’t be shocked to see UGA lose week 2 at USCjr. At this point I’m almost expecting it. That place will be rocking and although UGA has a ton of talent, it’s young. I think South Carolina will have some first place votes next to their name come Media day picks, but UGA will still be the pick.

let me know when AD are going broke from what they pay Football coaches and you will have an argument. for most big schools football, and the coach's pay, are net positives.

You won't see the bubble burst until it happens.

South Carolina gets the benefit of a schedule with UGA coming to Columbia and pulling Ole Miss from the West, while UGA has to travel to USCjr, Mizzou (who has given them fits in the past) and they have to travel to LSU which is never easy, no matter what. I wouldn’t be shocked to see UGA lose week 2 at USCjr. At this point I’m almost expecting it. That place will be rocking and although UGA has a ton of talent, it’s young. I think South Carolina will have some first place votes next to their name come Media day picks, but UGA will still be the pick.

Did you mean USC has given UGA fits in the past? UGA has won 5 out of 6 against Missouri with 3 of the wins being by more than 21 points and 1 game of 34-0. USC has definitely played UGA better recently. They were the only team in the in the East to keep it within 2 touchdowns, but UGA has had Missouri's number.

Did you mean USC has given UGA fits in the past? UGA has won 5 out of 6 against Missouri with 3 of the wins being by more than 21 points and 1 game of 34-0. USC has definitely played UGA better recently. They were the only team in the in the East to keep it within 2 touchdowns, but UGA has had Missouri's number.

I guess I was thinking that prior to last year, you had squeaked by the previous 2 games by a combined 4 points and had also been beat pretty good 2 years before that. My point was that the game has the possibility of being competitive, meaning that you will probably win but it’s no guarantee, especially on the road against a team with a veteran QB.

VN Store

Back