Productive Bulldogs don’t get drafted...

Just illustrates that how good/bad a player is in college has almost no bearing on their NFL career

It’s a crap shoot . A good career in college will get you there most of the time but a bad combine can kill your work history ,casting doubts in their minds . Making them wonder if they should take a multimillion dollar chance on you .

Actually think it illustrates that Butch did LESS with MORE and Kirby did MORE with LESS!!! :banghead2:

Just glad Cliche boy is Gone!!!

Reactions: 5 people
Wait... why weren't those guys drafted? How does a former # 1 overall recruit who started multiple years for a championship contender not get drafted?

Wait... why weren't those guys drafted? How does a former # 1 overall recruit who started multiple years for a championship contender not get drafted?
his knee health and projected years of longevity in the league have everything to do with that. See also Nick Chubb

Interesting read. Some of UGA’s productive players don’t get drafted...leaves teammates scratching head. I wonder if their coach is responsible?

Debacles of Georgia's Trent Thompson, Davin Bellamy illustrate annual oddity that is NFL draft

Productive SEC players, yes. NFL caliber, maybe. Thompson has dealt with a lot of injuries in his 3 years. He left for the draft early, against the advice of many. Rumor has it his family pushed him to turn pro for the money, as they are in desperate need of $$$. It’s either that or he felt he needed to try to get a few years in the NFL before his body gave out.

Bellamy was solid, but not an all-SEC type player. He’s a “tweener” for the NFL. Not big enough for a DE, but not your prototypical NFL OLB.

I did expect them to be 6th-7th rounders, but at that point in the draft it’s a crapshoot of teams taking on projects with high ceilings, rather than just solid players.

Just illustrates that how good/bad a player is in college has almost no bearing on their NFL career

Eh...not so sure I can get completely behind this as written. There certainly is nothing about having a good college career that guarantees NFL success but if you look at the NFL's best there's a LOT of recognizable names. For instance of the top 10 all time passers 8 were at least conference OPOTY. Of the top 10 rushers 8 were at least AA's and two were Heisman winners. (and 11-16 include Marshall Faulk, Adrian Peterson, Edgerrin James, Marcus Allen, Franco Harris and Thurman Thomas)

At least at the very top there seems to be a pretty strong correlation. (Admittedly this is for only those positions. I may get curious and research others later)

I remember getting into a debate on here back in '15 with a UGA fan over who the better prospect was Thompson or K-Mac. Thompson goes undrafted while KM goes in the 6th round with a position change. Wow.

I remember getting into a debate on here back in '15 with a UGA fan over who the better prospect was Thompson or K-Mac. Thompson goes undrafted while KM goes in the 6th round with a position change. Wow.

Would have taken Thompson in a heartbeat with how their careers played out.

Reactions: 1 person
Meh, this sounds like a piece for Georgia homers. For an article questioning why players weren't drafted he does a terrible job of building up why they should have been drafted instead. They were part of a good defense. And?

So not getting drafted is the motivation to make Bellamy take his reps seriously? He wasn't taking them seriously before? No surprise he wasn't drafted with an attitude like that.

Last edited:

Bellamy accidentally gave the answer to this on Thompson. He’s physically a mess with two bad knees and a shoulder ect. The NFL looks at everything. In Bellamy’s case it started wit a bong and his entire body of work on and off the field.

Pitiful player development.

If you think I'm going to cut "Bama bangs" any slack here you're sadly mistaken.

And yet, Thompson was the far better collegiate player. Think physical issues were what kept Thompson from being drafted.

And yet, Thompson was the far better collegiate player. Think physical issues were what kept Thompson from being drafted.

question for those who think that college players should be paid:

if an athlete doesn't get drafted, then will they expect a stipend until they find a job out in the real world? you know that it's going to be someone else's fault if they don't get drafted and that the world still owes them...

question for those who think that college players should be paid:

if an athlete doesn't get drafted, then will they expect a stipend until they find a job out in the real world? you know that it's going to be someone else's fault if they don't get drafted and that the world still owes them...

No, he is no longer a money making entity for the university.

A lot of assumptions made here about the athletes character...

No, he is no longer a money making entity for the university.

A lot of assumptions made here about the athletes character...

most schools will honor the academic side of the scholarship if the guy comes back, even after an NFL career. I remember a couple using this to get masters in something.

VN Store

Back